PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 - Slow even on 360p?

thedoor1
Mar 6, 2010, 04:55 PM
Just wondering if tech is so far past my G5 or I have an issue with my iMac G5.

Playing video is very jumpy and slow. this youtube clip is 360p (lowest choice) and totally jumpy - not one smooth set of frames in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=nKU0uQki5Dc

Anyway... if anywne has a G5 and can tell me if video play is supposed to suck this bad, that'd be good to know. Otherwise a fix to clean this would be great. I have 2GB ram and over 20gb free HDD space. I'm running Leopard 10.5.8 on the 1.8hz PowerPC G5.

tks

Mr Bow
Mar 6, 2010, 06:24 PM
Yep, thats how it is. I had the same issue with my old G5 iMac (and that was the 2.1). YouTube runs on flash, flash doesn't run so well on OS X...

You can try the html5 trial, or install clicktoflash, but not all videos are available in html5 or h264 so you won't have total coverage. Or you could upgrade :)

Just for reference that linked vid takes almost 50% cpu on my 2009 2.0GHz mac mini.

OrangeSVTguy
Mar 6, 2010, 06:32 PM
Have you tried letting it fully download before trying to play? It could be a network problem as it's playing faster than it downloads.

InfoSecmgr
Mar 6, 2010, 06:40 PM
When I still had my 1.6GHz G5 (tower), it played Youtube videos just fine. I was running 10.5.

InfoSecmgr
Mar 6, 2010, 06:49 PM
That video isn't the smoothest on my aluminum MacBook. Is it that way with all the videos you watch or just this one?

Just wondering if tech is so far past my G5 or I have an issue with my iMac G5.

Playing video is very jumpy and slow. this youtube clip is 360p (lowest choice) and totally jumpy - not one smooth set of frames in it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=nKU0uQki5Dc

Anyway... if anywne has a G5 and can tell me if video play is supposed to suck this bad, that'd be good to know. Otherwise a fix to clean this would be great. I have 2GB ram and over 20gb free HDD space. I'm running Leopard 10.5.8 on the 1.8hz PowerPC G5.

tks

MacHamster68
Mar 7, 2010, 03:13 AM
:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
my emac plays that video just fine

greg400
Mar 7, 2010, 04:17 AM
Try installing the latest Flash 10.1 beta (http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html) or try YouTube's beta HTML5 player (http://www.youtube.com/html5).

mike.coulter
Mar 7, 2010, 04:40 AM
Yeah... My iMac G4 does that too. It's really annoying, one reason why I upgraded. I think flash is just too heavy for older Macs with Power PC processors.

What I resorted to was going to www.keepvid.com and just downloading the videos I wanted to watch.

MacHamster68
Mar 7, 2010, 06:07 AM
flashplayer 10 is only suitable for people with a i7 or similar fast processor and i guess at least 10 gb ram , its the worst developed thing i ever came across since windows 95

thedoor1
Mar 7, 2010, 10:32 AM
flashplayer 10 is only suitable for people with a i7 or similar fast processor and i guess at least 10 gb ram , its the worst developed thing i ever came across since windows 95

So what do you play it with on your emac?

MacHamster68
Mar 7, 2010, 10:47 AM
So what do you play it with on your emac?
flashplayer 9 of course as 10 is only useful when you need to watch hd videos otherwise flashplayer 9 is enough, as older macs cant handle hd videos anyway ,so why install this monster of flashplayer 10 ,so far i had no problems with the 9 , and i dont like flash animations so i block them anyway

thedoor1
Mar 7, 2010, 06:20 PM
flashplayer 9 of course as 10 is only useful when you need to watch hd videos otherwise flashplayer 9 is enough, as older macs cant handle hd videos anyway ,so why install this monster of flashplayer 10 ,so far i had no problems with the 9 , and i dont like flash animations so i block them anyway

Tks. I'll try to downgrade to 9.

Fyi, video doesn't play well when downloaded, either. The whole Mac slows down.. . can't type without a delay if playing vid.

Concorde Rules
Mar 7, 2010, 06:24 PM

So thats why my MacBook Pro uses half the CPU time and abit less memory compared to FP9?

Quite.

canucksfan88
Mar 7, 2010, 06:25 PM
Try installing the latest Flash 10.1 beta (http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html) or try YouTube's beta HTML5 player (http://www.youtube.com/html5).

i downloaded and installed Flash 10.1 beta and it gave me graphics issues after i watched videos on youtube/flash.

hasn't occurred since i uninstalled it.

that might not happen with your G5 but im just letting you know whats what i experienced with it

MacHamster68
Mar 7, 2010, 07:21 PM
i dont understand that why some things work on one computer and dont on another with similar or even higher spec

by the way i never watch youtube on fullscreen always in a small window , maybe thats why , because i just found it will begin to stutter if i stretch it to fullscreen , never noticed it before as like said i never watch youtube on big windows or fullscreen always about a quarter/third size of my eMac's screen i never have used youtube on fulscreen sized windows even when i ha much more powerful pc
usually i have other things open at the same time which i want to monitor , so fullscreen would be disturbing

so just make the window smaller and problem solved

Christianallen
Mar 8, 2010, 06:55 AM
When my iMac G5 was still alive it had an awful time watching YouTube videos. Only thing that would work is resetting Safari. Also, Firefox seemed to work better for YouTube as well.

Not sure if this would affect it, but when it got rather slow at YouTube-ing, my Hard Drive was about 90% full. Perhaps that's an issue? I don't know, just sharing my experience!

92jlee
Mar 8, 2010, 07:33 AM
75% CUP usage on a G5 2.3 GHz

MacHamster68
Mar 8, 2010, 02:02 PM
75% CUP usage on a G5 2.3 GHz
:eek::eek:
i got between low 64% and max 73% watching this video in my window here
on a emac g4 1.42 ghz 2gb ram :confused:
using camino for G4 and i have an other program running at the same time stuffit which just unpacks some rars :confused:

so would now please tell me someone why my g4 1.42 is less stressed with it then a g5 with higher ghz

ok if i take the outcome on geekbench
my emac
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/221543

imac g5 isight 2.1 which just achieves a couple points more with more ram and faster bus
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/206731

ok if you look you will find soem with better results under the g5 imacs but also quiet a few with a lot worth like this one
http://browse.geekbench.ca/geekbench2/view/201542

how come the big differences and i mean just ignore the ram just look at the processor performance chart at the top of the results

im_to_hyper
Mar 8, 2010, 02:15 PM
Check out the graphic below... 74-83% CPU usage on a Core 2 Duo 2.53GHz. Was just a wee higher on a different 2.26GHz

I've used a dual 1.42GHz PowerMac and a 1.8GHz iMac and found Hulu to be unplayable and dropping frames on the G5... I think dual core/CPU is about the way to go. Sad that you need dual CPUs for Flash videos.

MacHamster68
Mar 8, 2010, 02:49 PM
at the moment i am happy about my eMac and its able to play this little youtube videos just fine ,
i cant justify to spend over £1000 for a computer only to play a flashvideo in the future ,
that is ridicoulos, if these developers forgot how to code proper,so that the customer will be forced to buy a quad or eight core or even 16 core setup in the future in order to run their crappy coded stuff

mabaker
Mar 8, 2010, 02:56 PM
at the moment i am happy about my eMac and its able to play this little youtube videos just fine , and even if it start to stutter in the future , when i dont have a choice other hten to upgrade to flashplayer 10
i cant justify to spend over £1000 for a computer only to play a flashvideo in the future ,that is ridicoulos

Adobe released Beta 3 of their newest Flash Player version. Try that one. Beta 2 made my emac G4 play all youtube videos passably again.

MacHamster68
Mar 8, 2010, 03:07 PM
Adobe released Beta 3 of their newest Flash Player version. Try that one. Beta 2 made my emac G4 play all youtube videos passably again.

ok i try beta 3 of the flashplayer 10 maybe they employed some proper coders for that one

thedoor1
Mar 8, 2010, 09:31 PM
Ok so I wanted to try the turn-off-spotlight idea. I just killed it by moving the entire hard drive to the privacy section.

so, two tests without spotlight 931 and 913.

two tests with 854 and 809. On the 809 it was actually indexing again (after I turned it back on).

I'm now a believer in shutting spotlight down to see if that helps.

thedoor1
Mar 8, 2010, 09:41 PM
CPU usage on my G5 is 100% while running this video. I'm having to wait for these letters to show up as I type.

Two things running: Activity monitor and Firefox with this tab and the youtube tab.

Uggh.

thedoor1
Mar 8, 2010, 09:46 PM
CPU usage on my G5 is 100% while running this video. I'm having to wait for these letters to show up as I type.

Two things running: Activity monitor and Firefox with this tab and the youtube tab.

Uggh.

Same thing with only safari open, and the window resized to very small.

I'm running off of the wired router - not wifi.

TMRaven
Mar 8, 2010, 09:51 PM
The G5s in the iMacs are 7 year old technology.

rotorblade69
Mar 8, 2010, 11:58 PM
It played but was a little jerky. Also typing to display on the screen is sluggish.
2.1 G5 iMac with 512 MB OS 10.4.11

But here's the pisser. My G5 not 2 hours ago went into again what is called thermal shut down. I was playing a flash game and boom it just shut down completely and no fans at all running. Weird. A few years ago it had a problem where it would lock up and then just shut down all by its self, and then the fans would run like all hell.

G5's Flash and HD do not mix obviously. 480P on my imac is unplayable at all. Maybe 5 frames a second. 720p just locks it up. :eek:
Sometimes I wish mine would just die or "Someone would nuke it from orbit!" or something. :cool: That way it would be done and i would be forced to buy something instead of just letting it die a slow death. I hate things having to suffer. Poor little iMac. BUT a new current version iMac is not going to happen.

I really want to start playing around with 1080p Video. I have lots of ideas and subject matter to shoot. BUT having to buy a Mac Pro that does not come with BluRay just to edit the stuff is really wearing on my nerves.

300D
Mar 9, 2010, 02:30 AM
Get FVD for firefox and download the video's MP4 file format. Flash just all-around sucks.

MacHamster68
Mar 9, 2010, 02:41 AM
so as suggested i tried flashplayer 10.1 beta 3 , video still plays in window but oh hell cpu usage went up from basically around 70% with flashplayer 9 to 88% hitting 90% with the 10.1 beta 3:eek: i could live with it but its not ideal , so guys at adobe go back to your computers and start coding again ,maybe you can drop it another 10% and could get a level of cpu usage for such a simple thing as flashplayer , 75%-max 80% that would just be acceptable, but i still prefered the level between 64% and 73% in flashplayer 9

California
Mar 9, 2010, 02:54 AM
It could be your internet connection.

Just helping my parents sell their iMac G5 2.0ghz with new 500gb hd and 2 gigs of ram and noticed, almost horrifyingly, that since they recently upgraded their internet to digital, that their computer is fast as lightning.

(And just had them get a new Mac! They didn't really need one -- it was the internet connection! They had cable internet before this...)

Don't feel bad, my Mac mini 2.26 with five gigs of ram could not play that video in HD. I've got DSL. Bet is the network, not our computers.

mabaker
Mar 9, 2010, 07:59 AM
The G5s in the iMacs are 7 year old technology.

They’re still perfectly capable technology and speed.

Just uncheck the option “Load plugins” in Safari, running an old G4 or G5 and see that the web browsing experience is as good as on a recent Intel Mac.

Not to mention the G4 and G5 machines boot faster than the standard Mac Intel configurations and use 50% less RAM when booted and the only thing they’re missing is Spaces or Time Machine. ;)

OrangeSVTguy
Mar 9, 2010, 08:52 AM
**snip**

Don't feel bad, my Mac mini 2.26 with five gigs of ram could not play that video in HD. I've got DSL. Bet is the network, not our computers.

Mine plays it in 720p @ full screen and I noticed a few dropped frames :(

Don't have any issues with iTunes 1080p trailers though but those aren't flash ;).