PDA

View Full Version : Stupid loses finger after feeding bear at zoo

andiwm2003
Mar 6, 2010, 07:29 PM
I just don't get it. What is wrong with these people? I'm not saying she deserves what she got (or lost). I wish she got her fingers back but then they should sue her and make her do community service for ten years so that she has no time to be stupid.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/06/bear-bites-off-womans-fin_n_488771.html

Woman bitten by bear at Wis. zoo, fingers severed
| 03/ 6/10 03:57 AM |

MANITOWOC, Wis. — Police say a bear bit off a woman's fingers at a Wisconsin zoo after she ignored barriers and warning signs to try to feed the animal.

The Lincoln Park Zoo in Manitowoc closed after the incident Friday morning. Police say the 47-year-old woman lost a thumb and a forefinger, and two other fingers were partially severed.

The woman's boyfriend was bitten as he tried to pry the bear's mouth off her hand, but he didn't lose any fingers. Her 3-year-old granddaughter wasn't injured.

A mayor's office statement says alcohol played a factor.

It's unclear which of two Asiatic black bears bit the women when she put her hand through their enclosure's fence. Police tell the Herald Times Reporter the bears likely won't be euthanized.

Manitowoc is about 80 miles north of Milwaukee.

I wonder why the bear was drunk.......

Zyniker
Mar 6, 2010, 07:39 PM
Personally, I find it ridiculous that officials are even remotely considering euthanizing the bear (if, indeed, they are). The woman was clearly responsible. Nice use of "stupid" as a noun, by the way.

rhett7660
Mar 6, 2010, 07:41 PM
Oh lord....... To bad the alcohol didn't thin her blood out even more so that she could have bled out at the scene.....

leomac08
Mar 6, 2010, 07:56 PM
Alcohol makes people happy.:D

and makes them do stuff they wish they could do in their dreams.:p

Consultant
Mar 6, 2010, 08:18 PM

Perhaps the stupids gave bears alcohol too?

leomac08
Mar 6, 2010, 08:54 PM
Perhaps the stupids gave bears alcohol too?

LMFAO!!!!! +1:D only with alcohol...can this happen..

ucfgrad93
Mar 7, 2010, 01:03 AM
Wow, almost had a Darwin Award winner here. It's sad.

snberk103
Mar 7, 2010, 10:40 AM

Absolutely no chance for a Darwin here.... she had her granddaughter with her. Already passed on her genes :rolleyes: . And a good role model too...

As to why they consider putting down the bears: Now that the bears have tasted human flesh, there may be a fear that they will try to get more. It puts the people who work with the bears at an increased risk of being mauled. Its not the bear's fault.... it's just bears being bears. But if they do put the bears down it's to protect the zoo workers.

The woman who got bit may end up being indirectly responsible for the death of the bears.

carlgo
Mar 7, 2010, 12:34 PM
What we really need are petting zoos with real animals. They could make lots of money selling goats and sheep for the food hand-outs and it would have a good effect on problems associated with over-population. In the end, there would be more room for animals in the wild. It is a no-lose idea.

Melrose
Mar 7, 2010, 04:54 PM

If they had tried to feed the bears with food in their mouth, it would have been a Darwin contender.

erickkoch
Mar 7, 2010, 07:28 PM
I'll bet the woman tries to sue for damages. The sad thing is, she might even win.

Aeolius
Mar 8, 2010, 12:50 PM
When I was 16, I visited the local science center/zoo with a friend. They had a black bear on display. He was completely enclosed in a large cage, which in turn was surrounded by a low chain-link fence.

As this was also a petting zoo, people could purchase ice cream cones filled with animal food, mainly for goats, sheep, and the like. People would hurl their cones of food at the bear, hoping to get the food into his cage. Inevitably, most of the cones would end up in that 3' wide no-man's land between the chain-link fence and the cage.

On my visit, I watched the bear trying to reach one of the cones, by sticking a paw through his bars. So, I did what anyone else would do. I hopped the small fence, collected five or six cones of food, and put them in a pile closer to his cage (on the opposite side from where the bear was, at the time). As I hopped back over the fence, the bear came over and easily reached the snack I had prepared.

ngenerator
Mar 8, 2010, 01:43 PM
Makes me sad to admit that I'm from WI...

At least this wasn't as stupid (http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/80810747.html) as the mother from Kewaskum, WI who supplied alcohol for her kid's 11 (or 12?) year old's birthday party with friends. Overnight. Sleep over. In a hotel room.

This state's going down the drain...

Consultant
Mar 8, 2010, 01:56 PM
Makes me sad to admit that I'm from WI...

At least this wasn't as stupid (http://www.jsonline.com/news/wisconsin/80810747.html) as the mother from Kewaskum, WI who supplied alcohol for her kid's 11 (or 12?) year old's birthday party with friends. Overnight. Sleep over. In a hotel room.

This state's going down the drain...

W...t...f.... White trash alert:

While riding a limo
"group stopped at Wal-Mart"

In the hotel room, young boys and girls play games because there aren't enough places to sleep
"One game included blowing air into condoms"

Some people should not reproduce.

andiwm2003
Mar 8, 2010, 08:11 PM
When I was 16, I visited the local science center/zoo with a friend. They had a black bear on display. He was completely enclosed in a large cage, which in turn was surrounded by a low chain-link fence.

As this was also a petting zoo, people could purchase ice cream cones filled with animal food, mainly for goats, sheep, and the like. People would hurl their cones of food at the bear, hoping to get the food into his cage. Inevitably, most of the cones would end up in that 3' wide no-man's land between the chain-link fence and the cage.

On my visit, I watched the bear trying to reach one of the cones, by sticking a paw through his bars. So, I did what anyone else would do. I hopped the small fence, collected five or six cones of food, and put them in a pile closer to his cage (on the opposite side from where the bear was, at the time). As I hopped back over the fence, the bear came over and easily reached the snack I had prepared.

well that's the smart way to do this. you should have told her. now i guess she knows anyway......

Paperboy2010
Mar 9, 2010, 01:25 PM
I know it's not soooo uncommon these day, but perhaps the tip off should've been that she was 47 and already had a 3 year old grandchild.

andiwm2003
Mar 10, 2010, 03:22 PM
I know it's not soooo uncommon these day, but perhaps the tip off should've been that she was 47 and already had a 3 year old grandchild.

so she had her first child with 22 and her daughter had a child with 22. i don't see a problem there. at 22 you can be just out of college.:confused:

22+22+3=47 if my math is correct................

Gregg2
Mar 10, 2010, 06:48 PM
This story was reported on our local TV news. My immediate reaction to the video was, "Why in the world is it possible to reach the bear's enclosure, or for the bear to reach outside of it??" Our zoo has moats around the animals' outdoor environs. Ok, so a small zoo can't afford elaborate landscaping, but they can figure out a way to separate animals from idiots.

rhsgolfer33
Mar 10, 2010, 07:13 PM
Ok, so a small zoo can't afford elaborate landscaping, but they can figure out a way to separate animals from idiots.

Isn't that exactly the point of a fence/cage?

andiwm2003
Mar 10, 2010, 08:06 PM
This story was reported on our local TV news. My immediate reaction to the video was, "Why in the world is it possible to reach the bear's enclosure, or for the bear to reach outside of it??" Our zoo has moats around the animals' outdoor environs. Ok, so a small zoo can't afford elaborate landscaping, but they can figure out a way to separate animals from idiots.

I'm not a big fan of zoo's. But since we have them and people like them i think they should give the visitors the best viewing experience possible.

It's sad that we have to do landscaping, moats, double fences just to keep the Stupid's from getting eaten alive. For the normal visitor it means less to see.

Aside of that Stupid's have been climbing fences, jumping down moats and swimming through them to get eaten. It's in their nature.

scottkifnw
Mar 10, 2010, 10:03 PM
What goes better with alcohol than finger food?

I just don't get it. What is wrong with these people? I'm not saying she deserves what she got (or lost). I wish she got her fingers back but then they should sue her and make her do community service for ten years so that she has no time to be stupid.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/03/06/bear-bites-off-womans-fin_n_488771.html

Gregg2
Mar 11, 2010, 09:00 AM
It's sad that we have to do landscaping, moats, double fences just to keep the Stupid's from getting eaten alive. For the normal visitor it means less to see.

For the preschool teacher who has to try to watch out for 12 four-year-olds, it's a blessing! I try to remember that I'm not the only one there. ;)