PDA

View Full Version : Scam?

kerpow
Sep 3, 2004, 10:39 AM
I saw an ad on Amazon (I've read the rules so I won't add a link) that advertised a bunch of 15" and 17" PB's for $950.

I mailed the seller to enquire the finer details. This is the response:

Hi there,
Let us tell you first something about us:we have the center in a warehouse in Holland near the airport.2 days ago we have been anounce that the airport will need to expande so we have to sell the items as soon as posible.For payment we will be forced to use Western Union and for delivery UPS air express.We will not have time to use Amazon payment because we will receive the money from them in 2-3 weeks.This emergency explain also the low prices that we are offering.
NOTE: All our product are brand new sealed in box with 1 year international waranty.
They will came to you with all there original accesories.

So if you want to get a good deal today please dont order our item trught amazon and buy directly from us.Please understand that if you will order trought amazon the item will not be shipped.

Thanks for understanding.

I suppose there is no guarentee that the laptop will arrive.

liquidh2o
Sep 3, 2004, 10:50 AM
Western Union only, Out of country, dire emergency.... definitely a scam.

Dreadnought
Sep 3, 2004, 10:51 AM
Well, I come from Holland, and there is NO AIRPORT EXPANDING! They probably mean our big international ariport near Amsterdam, named Schiphol. It expended a couple of years ago, but nothing is happening know. Especially, if they can sell them so cheap, they can sell them all here in the Netherlands. Why go through the trouble of shipping something overseas when you also can sell it here. Furthermore, Apple products are a bit more expensive in Europe then in the USA. Even know when the Dollar is at its low and the Euro at its high. They only lose more money by selling those products in US Dollars. This doesn't make sense! This is clearly a hoax.

BTW, could you send me a link of there ad. Then I'll investigate it!

strider42
Sep 3, 2004, 10:54 AM
I saw an ad on Amazon (I've read the rules so I won't add a link) that advertised a bunch of 15" and 17" PB's for $950.

I mailed the seller to enquire the finer details. This is the response:

Hi there,
Let us tell you first something about us:we have the center in a warehouse in Holland near the airport.2 days ago we have been anounce that the airport will need to expande so we have to sell the items as soon as posible.For payment we will be forced to use Western Union and for delivery UPS air express.We will not have time to use Amazon payment because we will receive the money from them in 2-3 weeks.This emergency explain also the low prices that we are offering.
NOTE: All our product are brand new sealed in box with 1 year international waranty.

So if you want to get a good deal today please dont order our item trught amazon and buy directly from us.Please understand that if you will order trought amazon the item will not be shipped.

I suppose there is no guarentee that the laptop will arrive.

Anytime someone asks for anything by western union, just forget it. its a scam. even if its not, are you willing to gamble a 1000 bucks on that chance just to save a bit.

And come on, the airport is expanding. Airports don't decide to expand and then kick everyone off the land in a few days, weeks or even months or years. Expansion takes planning, they have to buy the land, they have work out compensation for the people losing their land. Its going to be debated. That's one of the worst stories I've ever heard.

And why couldn't they use amazon payment. They can't change the address the payment would go to. they can't have to forwarded on. I'd report it to amazon as probable fraud.

MrSugar
Sep 3, 2004, 11:20 AM
SCAMARAMARAMA

Freg3000
Sep 3, 2004, 11:21 AM
Since Apple basically fixes their prices everywhere (The 20 GB iPod has a wide range of $294 to $299) it is very hard to get a price that is well under the MSRP. Whenever you see something like that, there is the possibility that is has been bough at the educational discount, but often times it is a scam. Combined with that crazy story, it's a scam, sorry.

dotnina
Sep 3, 2004, 12:24 PM
A scam, definetely.

Sounds a lot like this thread about another Amazon seller:

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=87442

jsw
Sep 3, 2004, 12:33 PM
Hi there,

At least one of the statements is true. :rolleyes:

Aside from the outside-the-country/Western Union/remarkably low prices/poor English/emergency standard flags, there's always the logical inconsistency here: they're willing to lose $1K-$2K per machine instead of, oh, moving the boxes to a storage facility, a house, etc.

Who believes these things? Too bad Western Union never tries sting operations.