PDA

View Full Version : Question: Do Powermac G5's still sell well?

Mrbill317
Mar 7, 2010, 01:09 AM
I have a dual processor 2.0ghz g5 , 2gb memory , 2x250gb hd's , pretty much mint case and hardly used unit. (Just used for testing in a lab).
Im curious what its worth , no Im not posting forsale but just curious.
I think it has Leopard , Office 2008 and some legit apps installed.

forcefieldkid
Mar 7, 2010, 01:15 AM
I have a dual processor 2.0ghz g5 , 2gb memory , 2x250gb hd's , pretty much mint case and hardly used unit. (Just used for testing in a lab).

Have a look on eBay...:rolleyes:

GMink
Mar 7, 2010, 01:18 AM

A quick search thrugh google or bing will get your dozens of online retial outlets selling used Mac's, look at what they are asking for G5's equiped like yours. You can also follow G5's on eBay and see what their closing price ends up being. Mac's hold vaule very well, especially with the new Mac Pro's going for 3-5 thousand! lol

Personally I would not hesitate to buy a G5 for the kids or for a media server. I think they still have a lot of life left in them. My kids are using 6-8 year old PC's right now and don't seem to mind ;)

grue
Mar 7, 2010, 01:40 AM
Anything with an Apple logo will sell on eBay for about 3x what a rational person would pay for it.

forcefieldkid
Mar 7, 2010, 04:38 AM
Anything with an Apple logo will sell on eBay for about 3x what a rational person would pay for it.

Not true! There's plenty of Apple stuff on eBay that sells for about half the price you'd expect to pay for it! Though they might not actually exist.......

opeter
Mar 7, 2010, 06:30 AM

Sadly, so true. Especially in Europe.

Digital Skunk
Mar 7, 2010, 09:34 PM

100% true, and to answer the OP's question, yes, they sell well, but it depends on what you mean by well.

A Power Mac G5 2.0GHz (last revision) should fetch you about $500 at the top end. Any person with half a brain would know that the Mac Mini would beat it processor wise, and much of the other advantages to the PowerMac case are moot sans the 16GBs of RAM.

The key is to find that person that doesn't have half a brain.

300D
Mar 7, 2010, 10:27 PM
A Power Mac G5 2.0GHz (last revision) should fetch you about $500 at the top end.

Nope. A decently equipped 2.3 should bring around $450, a quad will bring around 500-600.

Digital Skunk
Mar 7, 2010, 11:16 PM
Nope. A decently equipped 2.3 should bring around $450, a quad will bring around 500-600.

Please note the context of the rest of the thread.... especially the parts saying that the Mac Mini would beat it processor wise and that the OP should sell it to someone with half a brain.

I may not have been very clear....

Basically, you can get someone to buy your PowerMac for $500 if said person doesn't know what they could get for $500, i.e. a Mac Mini that would out perform it.

300D
Mar 7, 2010, 11:28 PM
I'd be happy if I could get a new Mini for $500 again.

Digital Skunk
Mar 8, 2010, 07:01 AM
I'd be happy if I could get a new Mini for $500 again.

Brother tell me about it. I'd be happy if I could get a Mini for $500, a Pro tower for $1700 and an entry level laptop for $800.

Those were the good years.

TonyK
Mar 8, 2010, 06:56 PM
Being several posts short of getting in the Marketplace, I am interested in this thread. We have a dual processor G5 @ 2.3Ghz. It has 6GB of RAM and a 250GB drive. An original Leopard install DVD would come with it.

To be clear, I am not listing this here. This is because it is against forum rules. Just trying to find a starting price for eBay. The last time I searched I was not too successful finding completed, successful auctions.

My concern is @ 65lbs (give or take), it will cost a small fortune to ship it. Just a week ago I shipped a computer weighing 35lbs. UPS wanted anywhere between ~$30 (evening delivery which I could not do) to over $200 (next day which was not needed). USPS charged me ~$55 for it on priority mail. I can only guess what a G5 will cost to ship.

Take care,

Digital Skunk
Mar 8, 2010, 09:09 PM
Being several posts short of getting in the Marketplace, I am interested in this thread. We have a dual processor G5 @ 2.3Ghz. It has 6GB of RAM and a 250GB drive. An original Leopard install DVD would come with it.

To be clear, I am not listing this here. This is because it is against forum rules. Just trying to find a starting price for eBay. The last time I searched I was not too successful finding completed, successful auctions.

My concern is @ 65lbs (give or take), it will cost a small fortune to ship it. Just a week ago I shipped a computer weighing 35lbs. UPS wanted anywhere between ~$30 (evening delivery which I could not do) to over $200 (next day which was not needed). USPS charged me ~$55 for it on priority mail. I can only guess what a G5 will cost to ship.

Take care,

I like to sell thing that heavy locally. When I gave up my G5 I sold it on Craigslist first, then ended up selling it to a friend that came and picked it up.

Even when I am in the Marketplace, I tend to ask if the seller is local, even if it's 100 miles or more I'd go pick it up if it's a Macbook or Mac Pro. My wife and I don't mind the trip.

TonyK
Mar 9, 2010, 05:34 AM
Not a fan of Craig's List. People seem to have good experiences yet there have been news stories about incidents that concern me.

Wouldn't mind delivering the unit if it is ~100 miles. But the gas for the round trip would be about what it costs to mail the thing with gas now @ ~$2.70 per gal. :(

I like to sell thing that heavy locally. When I gave up my G5 I sold it on Craigslist first, then ended up selling it to a friend that came and picked it up.

Even when I am in the Marketplace, I tend to ask if the seller is local, even if it's 100 miles or more I'd go pick it up if it's a Macbook or Mac Pro. My wife and I don't mind the trip.

TonyK
Mar 24, 2010, 07:39 PM
An update.

My 2005 Dual 2.3 Ghz; 6GB PowerMac G5 has a new home. Networked with a co-worker and her husband found me a buyer. Got what I expected for a working G5 and did not have to pay shipping. We did the exchange in a parking lot (call me paranoid < grin >)

The system was worth more parted out, but it goes against my grain to part a working system out.

Take care,

Take care,