Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stormyguy

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 15, 2002
UK (Sussex)
Hi Guys

Basically I have the same problem as the OP in this thread: https://forums.macrumors.com/threads/743386/

However, my iMovie (currently) is crashing but still allowing me to get out of trouble by removing any new files dragged into the project from the project folder, then re-starting iMovie.

It seems anything I add in now or edit in any way other than simply adding video and not editing will crash it. So I don't want to mess it up (MANY hours of work) and am now wondering the way forward.... I've read that large (or particulary projects with lots of edits/stills/picture-in-picture and many media files can cause these issues and bring iMovie to it's 'limit'. I'm happy to split it into "movie Part 1" and "movie part 2' if necessary....

So, can I export the movie as a QT file and then start a new iMovie project using this 'simplified' file (not a vid expert but it seems like I want to do something similar to flattening a file in Photoshop LOL)....

How is the best way to export it and what settings should one use to avoid loss of quality. It's HD footage but all imported into iMovie as 'optimized' for saving a little space. Ultimately I need to get it onto a DVD at some point.
I have FCE as well if there's a way to utilise it and help my issues (although not as 'au fait' with FCE...

Thankyou in advance
Danny

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.