PDA

View Full Version : I need to know how to exclusively run itunes off of my external hard drive

Ciarrab7286
Mar 7, 2010, 11:23 AM
I have transferred all of my music library onto my external hard drive and have changed the path in preferences to always reference to the external hard drive pathway. I need to know how to have a list of all that is in my external hard drive and to exclusively run itunes off of it without copying any music onto my internal hard drive... I hope that makes sense! Please help... I want to listen to my music but don't want to have ANY files on my internal hard drive.

miles01110
Mar 7, 2010, 11:25 AM
http://www.google.com/cse?cx=011016119145480959114%3Akuv1aq0hily&ie=UTF-8&q=itunes+library+external+hard+drive+site%3Aforums.macrumors.com&hl=en&as_qdr=all&meta=

Ciarrab7286
Mar 7, 2010, 11:29 AM
I have been looking at other peoples problems aka forum posts and have not found my answer specifically. What I have gathered is that I import the whole library onto my internal hard drive and then delete them? How will that use the path... I think I am dumber for reading the other posts. At least way more confused.

waw74
Mar 7, 2010, 11:52 AM
The easiest way to do this, is to replace the "iTunes Music" or "iTunes Media" folder with an alias to the folder you want to use.
It's in ~/music/iTunes where ~ is your home directory.

You should be able to just move the whole folder to the external, and replace it with the alias

I've been doing this for a while with an external drive plugged into another computer on the network, this way i can grab the drive if i want and take it with me, all i have to do is change the alias to point at the drive locally.