PDA

View Full Version : Mac and Pc Network?

MBPro825
Mar 7, 2010, 06:10 PM
I am looking to set up a network with a mac and my old dell computer and use it as a server (as the dell is going into retirement and a mac mini is coming in.) I am not looking to host a web page or anything, just do simple file sharing and maybe a few other things. What are the things I need to do and know before I go ahead with this project? What kind of cords will I need? I would like to use free or cheap server software (not the $500 mac osx server or windows server) so if you could point me in the right direction that would be great. I am new to networking like this so thank you for your time and patience.

Matthew Yohe
Mar 7, 2010, 06:13 PM
I am looking to set up a network with a mac and my old dell computer and use it as a server (as the dell is going into retirement and a mac mini is coming in.) I am not looking to host a web page or anything, just do simple file sharing and maybe a few other things. What are the things I need to do and know before I go ahead with this project? What kind of cords will I need? I would like to use free or cheap server software (not the $500 mac osx server or windows server) so if you could point me in the right direction that would be great. I am new to networking like this so thank you for your time and patience.

Connect them both to the same network (both wireless, or if your dell is wired only, connect that to your wireless router, or similar. You can do the same with your mini if you'd rather they both be wired.).

There is no "software" needed, just open up System Preferences and look in Sharing > File Sharing. It's relatively simple. Should take no longer than a couple minutes to get it going.