PDA

View Full Version : Airport Express - whats next ?

CmdrLaForge
Sep 3, 2004, 02:36 PM
Hi,

maybe the title is a little bit misleading. I was just wondering that at the moment only iTunes is supported to bring music to the stereo. Why only iTunes, why not iPhoto or iMovie or any App as well e.g. games. That's something I am really waiting for. Maybe as part of the OS, hopefully in Tiger.

It should be possible to redirect any sound to the stereo via the Airport Express card, wether it comes from iPhoto, Garageband etc. Best thing would be as part of the OS.

Cheers
CmdrLaForge

kgarner
Sep 3, 2004, 02:53 PM
But what's the point. I don't want to my movie through my stereo and watch on my computer. The speakers aren't configured right for me (and I don't think most people would have them set up right either--need the computer where the TV would be for proper sound orientation). Now if the Airport Express v.2 can stream vieo and audio then I think they have something. Personally, I wouldn't be the least bit surprised to see this in future editions.

Koodauw
Sep 3, 2004, 03:33 PM
I would to see some integration with Quicktime. Even if it was just to stream the audio. I like to watch music video, and would love to stream the audio to the home stereo, even if the video was still on my PB.

Streaming video would be really nice, but That might be tough to do.

kgarner
Sep 3, 2004, 04:07 PM
I think Airport Express is begging for video streaming. It wouldn't be all that tough. They can stream pretty good quality over the internet (3 Mbps max) why not full qulaity over the Airport Express (54 Mbps). And who knows what new streaming technology Apple is working on right now. The new codecs that are becoming available could leveraged to make it happen. It's really just a matter of bringing it all together. I could see it happening within the next 3-5 years (maybe sooner).

sonofslim
Sep 4, 2004, 10:09 AM
i'd like to see an add-on display that attaches to one of the AXP's ports and displays the current song info, a la the SqueezeBox. maybe have a remote that allows for simple play/pause/forward/reverse functionality.