PDA

View Full Version : Best Strategy/Sim Games on a Mac?

Shrek
Aug 3, 2002, 02:21 PM
Any opinions here on what are the best strategy and sim games out there for the Mac? Has anyone here played Fly! II for Mac? How is it? How about games in general for the Mac? Please, no overly violent, sexual, or gory game suggestions. :)

Shrek
Aug 5, 2002, 10:05 AM
Having problems with my session. Just testing this to see if it works. ;)

Ensign Paris
Aug 5, 2002, 10:46 AM
:) The best game in the whole world is Escape Velocity: Nova (Override is good aswell) its at http://www.ambrosiasw.com/games/evn/ (its 2D)

I built a website about it, its available at http://starbase64.brooklineuk.com/ which hasn't been updated since Christmas '02 (hense the snow fall)

Ensign

jadam
Aug 5, 2002, 11:04 AM
nova is sooo sweet and its not gory :) all the Escape Velocity Games kick ass.

Warcraft III isnt gory hi

irmongoose
Aug 5, 2002, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by Ensign Paris
... which hasn't been updated since Christmas '02 (hense the snow fall)

Woah! What was the reason to go to the future to update the site? Couldn't you have done it last Christmas? (Which, by the way, is Christmas '01, which you must have meant....)

:)

irmongoose

dnte42
Aug 5, 2002, 11:14 AM
WC3 is my favorite of the Blizzard strategy games so far. Majesty is a nice game to play when you don't care much for thinking (the random scenario generation gives it a lot of single-player replay value too). Can't wait for HOMM4.

MacMaster
Aug 5, 2002, 11:50 AM
Fly! II was terrible! Alright the gameplay was ok, but the graphics could have been a little better and the framerates suffer even on the some of the best systems! Anyway EV: Nova is a GREAT game, but it's shareware and you have to pay $30 to register it...I played that game for a long time...until it told me to register...:rolleyes: Another game that sounds cool is Star Wars Galactic Battlegrounds (http://www.aspyr.com/mini-sites/sw/). It's really good...It's based on the Age of Empires 2 engine (Age of Empires 2 is also a good game to get). I'll be getting SW: GB soon. And last, I would say Black & White is a pretty fun game...good graphics, you get to control giant animals, etc.;) I would get all of the games I listed here, but don't get Fly! II!!!

topicolo
Aug 5, 2002, 12:07 PM
there's always the old classic, starcraft. U can never get enough of that:)

kiwi_the_iwik
Aug 5, 2002, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by MacMaster
Fly! II was terrible! Alright the gameplay was ok, but the graphics could have been a little better and the framerates suffer even on the some of the best systems!...

If you're a flight-sim buff (like me...) check out the "AMAZING" X-Plane, from Laminar Research - www.x-plane.com - which is by far the best FS for the Mac. It's got real-world weather downloadable from the net, stacks of planes (also available online from www.x-plane.org), real air traffic control, and global scenery, all intricately mapped by NASA satellites.

F/A-18 Hornet Korea Gold is a good one, too - but it'd be great if GraphSim decided to port it to OSX, and boost up the graphics level to OpenGL for Hornet 3.0 (maybe even implement more Theaters instead of just 2 and a training ground, hmmm?)

MacMaster
Aug 5, 2002, 05:57 PM
Originally posted by kiwi_the_iwik

If you're a flight-sim buff (like me...) check out the "AMAZING" X-Plane, from Laminar Research - www.x-plane.com - which is by far the best FS for the Mac. It's got real-world weather downloadable from the net, stacks of planes (also available online from www.x-plane.org), real air traffic control, and global scenery, all intricately mapped by NASA satellites.

F/A-18 Hornet Korea Gold is a good one, too - but it'd be great if GraphSim decided to port it to OSX, and boost up the graphics level to OpenGL for Hornet 3.0 (maybe even implement more Theaters instead of just 2 and a training ground, hmmm?)
Yes X-Plane is an amazing game! One of the best designed games ever! Lamainar Research stuff is always good.
F/A-18 Hornet is a classic fight sim. I have the origional and I still play it from time to time! That game rocks! Korea is even better! The graphics need to be updated though...

voyagerd
Aug 5, 2002, 06:27 PM
Master Of Orion II and Total Annihilation are two good strategy games. X-plane and F/A-18 Korea are also very good.

Beej
Aug 5, 2002, 06:34 PM
Nothing beats SimCity 2000!

Rock on

P-Worm
Aug 5, 2002, 06:48 PM
If we are talking about sim games like sim city or the sort, then my vote would go hands down to Afterlife by Lucasarts. Not many people have heard of it, but it is downright hilarious and has lots of ways to customize your very own afterlife. If you haven't heard of it, search for it and check it out!

xelterran
Aug 6, 2002, 08:16 AM
starcraft broodwar is by far the best - alot better than any other strategy game out there including warcraft 3.

topicolo
Aug 6, 2002, 08:51 AM
Originally posted by xelterran
starcraft broodwar is by far the best - alot better than any other strategy game out there including warcraft 3.

Amen to dat!

PostalWrker27
Aug 7, 2002, 05:09 PM
I gotta admit...Combat Missions: Beyond Overlord, by Big Time Software is a GREAT strategy game. I can't get enough of it. World War II at its finest.

Shrek
Aug 9, 2002, 04:57 PM
Thanks for all the help, people. ;)