PDA

View Full Version : Recovering Data After User is Deleted

aziz2
Sep 3, 2004, 03:29 PM
Through a super freak accident, my admin user account was deleted and all my files (music, movies, documents) were wiped clean. I chose the "delete immediately" option, so its definitely gone.

How can I recover stuff? I have DiskWarrior and I opened it, but the only thing that shows up is Macintosh HD and it says this cannot be rebuilt because it is the startup disk.

Please help, I've lost some very important things.

Aziz

jeremy.king
Sep 3, 2004, 03:46 PM
How could it be an accident AND you clicked the delete immediate option?

I would think that you are pretty much SOL, so just restore from the backups you take regularly. What backups you ask :eek: ?

aziz2
Sep 3, 2004, 04:03 PM
I think there is hope in DiskWarrior, does anyone know how to use it?

It was an accident. Here's what happened:

You know on finder it has your short name? Mine was "aziz", it irked me that the 'a' was lowercase, so i realized i couldn't change it, so i decided to add a user and make that user's short name Aziz.

My admin name is Aziz Xi. So I changed my admin name to Aziz X. Then I added a new user named "Aziz Xi." (you can't have two with the same name)

After realizing it wouldn't really work, i deleted the new user added "Aziz Xi
but the comp screwed up and deleted the admin one since it used to "Aziz Xi" - so all my stuff was lost.

pncc
Sep 3, 2004, 04:21 PM
You are hosed. OS X is very good about deleting data. Disk Warrior can't do data recovery anyway. Data Rescue can, but I have tried it in situations like this and was unsuccessful. Disk Warrior (or any other utility) will only work on a drive that is 1) not the same as the Utility drive, not the boot drive.

backup
Backup
backup

I doubt you will have to be told that again.

yoda13
Sep 3, 2004, 05:09 PM
you are out of luck. Disk Warrior cannot help you. I have tried to ressurrect a friend's account on his Mac using it and we could find absolutely nothing. I wish that I had better luck. The delete options in OSX are very thorough. I wish I could give you more hope. But I think that you will just have to start over. :o