PDA

View Full Version : B&W G3 Not Booting, Help!

ziutek
Sep 3, 2004, 03:57 PM
Well, I was trying to update the blue and white g3 powermac to Mac 10.2.8.
It originally had 10.2. Well after it installed, the mouse didn't work but the keyboard functioned. Then I tried to restart it again and then it didn't even boot up, it only stayed on the Gray Apple Bootup screen. I tried to reset the pram (comand-p-r) but i had no luck. I triple checked all connections and even tried a different keyboard and mouse and nothing changed. Then I tried to boot from the jaguar cd and the mac was still stuck at the grey boot screen. Any suggestions?

jimsowden
Sep 3, 2004, 10:08 PM
Well, I was trying to update the blue and white g3 powermac to Mac 10.2.8.
It originally had 10.2. Well after it installed, the mouse didn't work but the keyboard functioned. Then I tried to restart it again and then it didn't even boot up, it only stayed on the Gray Apple Bootup screen. I tried to reset the pram (comand-p-r) but i had no luck. I triple checked all connections and even tried a different keyboard and mouse and nothing changed. Then I tried to boot from the jaguar cd and the mac was still stuck at the grey boot screen. Any suggestions?
PRam reset is command-option-p-r
Boot into single user mode and see if it works. (apple s at startup)
run the command "top" see if things are functioning. Maybe someone else can help with some dik help things, like a FSCK

ziutek
Sep 3, 2004, 10:48 PM
PRam reset is command-option-p-r
Boot into single user mode and see if it works. (apple s at startup)
run the command "top" see if things are functioning. Maybe someone else can help with some dik help things, like a FSCK
Well, I tried the P-Ram reset ("command-option-p-r", not "command-p-r", which I mistakenly stated in my previous post) three times and nothing changed in the condition of the computer. I accessed the open firmware of the g3 (Command- Option- O -F) and used the commands "reset-nvram", and "set-defaults". Then I restarted the computer and I still had no luck. Well I can't boot into single user mode now since I don't have the access to the computer until Tuesday (it's one of my school's computers and i'm off for the weekend). Well I guess I'll just have to wait until Tuesday to try to bring the computer back to a working state.

Duff-Man
Sep 3, 2004, 10:55 PM
Duff-Man says...it may not apply in this case...but sometimes actually doing a complete shutdown (power off) and restart instead of just a re-boot makes a difference...oh yeah!