Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thelionskeeper

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 8, 2010
Okay guys I'm in freak-out mode right now!
Last night I set my ipod on my windowsill and went to sleep, well it rained all night(without my knowing) and the water must have seeped through my window and into my ipod.
You could clearly see the water through the screen (even the water bubbles and its really foggy!)
After realizing what had happen I turned the power off (At first when I tried to turn the power off it wouldn't do anything but later randomly come up with the "slide to power down" or whatever it is) I took a flashlight and shone it into the headphone jack and the water detector was still white (this confuses me)
So, it is off now and wrapped in a heating pad turned on low.
I guess my question is, What should I do?! :eek:

Also, I know I shouldn't turn on the power on until the water is all gone, but how will I know?

Thanks guys!

rmb7984

macrumors regular
Apr 1, 2008
Tampa, FL
Wait a really long time to turn it on again - at least a week. I suppose a heating pad will work well, but you may also want to think about putting in in a bag with dried (uncooked) rice. This is supposed to draw the moisture out of the casing. After it's totally dry, you may luck out and it may turn on. If not, and the moisture sensors are not activated, apple may swap it out for you. As I'm sure someone will point out, there are some ethical concerns with doing this, but that's between you and whatever god you do or don't worship. ;)

Personally, I'd try to swap it out if it doesn't work - it sounds like you made an honest mistake!

Good luck!

pukifloyd

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2008
Scottsdale
or keep it wrapped in the heating pad and then keep the whole thing in a sack of rice and silica gell packets... :D

good luck!

AppleMatt

macrumors 68000
Mar 17, 2003
UK
I don't know if the iPod Touch is the same, but with the iPhone you can undo two screws on the bottom and then use a suction cup on the glass to separate the two halves.

That gives the water an exit route, so then put the two halves into silica/rice/whatever and leave in a warm place (airing cupboard) for a week or so, changing the rice every two days.

Although a lot of people (myself included) have found this to work, it's only a temporary measure that allows you to get your data off it. It's most likely toast. Sorry.

AppleMatt

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.