PDA

View Full Version : Time frame for apple repair?

gjimmy
Sep 3, 2004, 06:02 PM
I took my computer into an Apple Retail store in LA last wednesday and it arrived at the service depot on Friday. The logic board is being replaced, and they are waiting on the part. It is now a week later and they are still waiting on the part. How long do you think it will be til I get my PB back...I have school work to do and it is taking forever!!!

How long do people normally have to wait for a repair like this?

My PB is only 3 weeks old and it seems ridiculous that it would take this long to fix.

Thanks
Gjimmy

MattG
Sep 3, 2004, 06:04 PM
I took my computer into an Apple Retail store in LA last wednesday and it arrived at the service depot on Friday. The logic board is being replaced, and they are waiting on the part. It is now a week later and they are still waiting on the part. How long do you think it will be til I get my PB back...I have school work to do and it is taking forever!!!

How long do people normally have to wait for a repair like this?

My PB is only 3 weeks old and it seems ridiculous that it would take this long to fix.

Thanks
Gjimmy
If parts are in stock, turnaround is generally very fast. I don't have a retail store around here, so I've always done my repairs through Apple's shipping centers. If I called Monday, they'd overnight me a box...I'd have it and ship it out on Tuesday, they'd receive and repair it on Wednesday, ship it out the same day, and then I'd have it back Thursday. Once they get the parts in, you should have it back pretty quickly.

rhpenguin
Sep 3, 2004, 06:08 PM
At my local ASP they usualy take about four days to get my notebook back to me. One day for diagnosis, one day for ordering part, one day for waiting for the part and one day to fix it. They've pretty much got it down to a science.

gjimmy
Sep 9, 2004, 02:07 AM
just an update..

Today, after it sitting at the repair center for over two weeks, it is still waiting on the logic board to come in. I finally talked to customer support and he was a nice guy and he said he would try to put me on a "priority list" and he said he would call back. He never called back.

Apple's customer support and their service is terrible and I am very dissapointed that we pay huge amounts of money to use their (great) computers, yet this is what we get in return, two weeks of my computer being demoted to a paper weight. I have school work to do and I can't do it because Apple can't fic the faulty computer.

I am calling tomorrow and find out how to get a replacement...it was only 3 weeks old when I sent it in and they have had it for two weeks. Totally unbelievable and bogus.

Anyone else have these problems? I know I keep reading about people who get their computers fixed overnight and stuff and it drives me up the wall...of course they have to screw mine up!!!

I am very frustrated, and dissapointed with Apple.

g

vraxtus
Sep 9, 2004, 02:24 AM
I've had 2 LB's replaced on my iBook and PB.

Both took about 3 days... but then the one for the PB came back to the store and got lost in backstock :D

tobio
Sep 9, 2004, 04:51 AM
I am very jealous of people who get their computers back within a week or so like they are supposed to. I have been without my powerbook for 7 weeks today (they lost it and are sending me a new 15" one as a replacement) I have heard that apple will repair and repair a computer that is having problems, rather than just give you a new one. If you can, try to ask for the same person at the customer service center, and get their email address if possible.

I am totally disheartened with applecare, and will definately never take out a 3 year plan on any products. If i ever decide to upgrade my ram or other problems develop, stuff the warranty, I am going to try to do it myself.

Lincoln
Sep 9, 2004, 06:47 AM
I had to send my powerbook to Apple (UK), the box arrived Thursday, picked up by UPS on Friday, arrived at Repair Centre on Monday, repaired Tuesday and back with me on Wednesday. That's pretty good I think. :)

However, I have had to send the Powerbook back for the same problem (sticking keyboard, see my post here (http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=85386)). I rang on Tuesday, the box arrived at work this morning and the UPS guy waited while I packed my Powerbook into the box. So it'll be at Apple tomorrow. I'm intrigued to see how long it takes them to repair and ship it back this time.

wPod
Sep 9, 2004, 08:43 AM
wow, i have always had the fastest service with apple. but i have always sent mine in rather than going to a store. the fastest ever was day 1 call, day 2 recieve box AND i shipped it out by the afternoon, day 3 repaired, day 4 returned at my door (but i wasnt home), day 5 i was home and picked up the package. and the longest was only like 2 more days on top of that, mostly because i took longer to ship the box back to apple. i have usually heard of good service from apple. the only bad service is a friend who has had the logic board replaced on his iBook five or six times and apple refuses to give him a new laptop (even though they must have spent more money on repairing his than the cost of a new laptop)

the best thing about apple service though, when i call, i actually get ahold of someone that speaks english, not somone in india who cannot answer a question (such as 'how has your day been') because it is not one of the preassigned questions in front of them. i now refuse to call dell to help my friends :-)

Thomas Anderson
Sep 9, 2004, 09:56 AM
Read you post and said hey that sounds familiar. Apple has had my 15" PB for going on 2+ weeks, and everytime I check their website or call I get the same waiting on a logic board response. I read your post and decided to check the repair status website real quick and low and behold it said the repair began yesterday and it is now ready to ship. I would check again with apple today to see if your status has changed. The only thing worse then it taking Apple 2 weeks to fix my PB, was having to use a windows machine the entire time.

Good Luck!