Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Fueled by Friday's announcement of a shipping date for the iPad, Apple's stock price has jumped over 6% in recent trading, pushing the company beyond $200 billion in market value for the first time in its history. AAPL currently sits at over $223 per share.

104723-aapl_200_billion.png

Apple currently holds the fifth-largest market capitalization among U.S. public companies, behind Exxon Mobil, Microsoft, Wal-Mart, and Berkshire Hathaway.

Article Link: Apple Reaches $200 Billion in Market Capitalization

Constable Odo

macrumors 6502
Mar 28, 2008
Fourth. Berkshire is currently at $192B.

AAPL is also the 17th largest company by market capitalization in the world.

Odd. Most financial sites have BRK.A at $204 billion.
http://www.google.com/finance?q=NYSE:BRK.A

No matter. It appears that Apple will continue to grow over this year and should end up in the third highest market cap position within a month or so. Depending on iPad success and sales, Apple could really start to make serious headway towards Microsoft. :D

NebulaClash

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2010
BUT BUT BUT, NO FLASH!!!!

BUT BUT BUT, FASCIST APP STORE POLICY!!!!

BUT BUT BUT, OVERPRICED!!!!

BUT, BUT, BUT, NETBOOKS!!!!!

Oh well, keep on trying, trolls.

zombitronic

macrumors 65816
Feb 9, 2007
According to Google Finance right now, the following companies' market caps are (in billions):

1. Exxon Mobil: 314.90
  2. Microsoft: 253.42
  3. Wal-Mart: 206.70
  4. Berkshire Hathaway: 204.09
  5. Apple: 202.75

smorris

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Northern Ohio
The source I had that listed Berkshire at $192B was apparently only counting A shares. That's why I removed it.

(BTW, my meager holding cost me $4.97 a share. I wish I'd bought more...)

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
Whole different ballgame these days. What Apple has achieved is pretty mind-boggling. The iPad will take the stock into the $300 neighbourhood.

scaredpoet

macrumors 604
Apr 6, 2007
because there is never room for criticism with apple and apple can never do better than they are

There's always room for criticism. It just so happens that sales, market share, income levels, and now market capitalization point to criticism being wrong. ;)

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
Only 51 Billion more needed to catch Microsoft!

This is incredible! Only 51 Billion more is needed to catch Microsoft!

This might put a lot of pressure on Microsoft's Courier, if they screw up with the Courier like they did with Windows Vista and the Zune, all bets are off!

I guess the 1 Billion dollar investment in the A4 chip was a good idea. ;-)

Marcus

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I own 3 of the top 5 stocks there. :D I have over 100% gain on Apple alone, but this morning I finally put a stop loss in at $220. I don't think it will execute, but I do see this as the pre-iPad hype, once the pad hits the market it may not be able to hold this value. . . but then again, who knows? :D I wouldn't mind seeing a $300 price tag... or better yet, a $100 price tag after a 3 to 1 split.

Isn't Apple supposed to announce new machines sometime in the next week or two? That could help the stock also. Oh the fun of owning Apple. Just wish I would have listened to my friend and purchased it when it was $15! :( That bastard invested over $500,000 in Apple at that time, he's ready to retire now.
(Kicking myself for not listening)

supmango

macrumors 6502
Feb 17, 2008
This is incredible! Only 51 Billion more is needed to catch Microsoft!

This might put a lot of pressure on Microsoft's Courier, if they screw up with the Courier like they did with Windows Vista and the Zune, all bets are off!

I guess the 1 Billion dollar investment in the A4 chip was a good idea. ;-)

Marcus

Based on the YouTube video I saw of the Courier, it looks like Microsoft is infringing on a few Apple patents to create this product. I hope they have worked out licensing, or we might have a nice war being waged between the two software companies.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California
So in short, now is not the time to buy Apple stock.

Out maybe you are a typical small investor type who buys when it shoots up so as not to be left behind, then when if tanks sells to prevent further loss.

DaveSW

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2010

Out maybe you are a typical small investor type who buys when it shoots up so as not to be left behind, then when if tanks sells to prevent further loss.

depends. $300 baby! :D

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville

You got that right! Sell on the good news, buy on the bad. This may be a short term rally due to excitement, thus the stop loss I have in place to preserve my profit. If it drops back down to the 200ish range I'll buy it back. If there is a minor glitch that causes my stop loss to trigger and goes right back up, and I think it will continue, I can just rebuy it at a slightly higher price. But right now, it is fun just watching the price. :D

Cubert

macrumors regular
Apr 30, 2005
5th largest?!?!?! Holy crap!!! I had no idea.

And, I didn't see MeToo$oft in the 1-4 slots.

Boooyaahhhh!

saxofunk

macrumors regular
Jul 19, 2006
Denver, CO
Market Volitility Gives Me Itchy Trigger Finger

I'm a little worried that this stock hype might be overly ambitious. I hope I'm wrong, but things have been so up and down lately. At least AAPL has a general positive slope. Almost all of my shares were bought in Dec 2007/Jan 2008, so I'm enjoying just over 200% increase. Here's to hitting the $300 mark and more. It will happen eventually (barring a sudden loss of Jobs or another huge crash).

Staying hopeful for iPad, new notebooks, and iPhone to carry us up even further.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
I'm a little worried that this stock hype might be overly ambitious. I hope I'm wrong, but things have been so up and down lately. At least AAPL has a general positive slope. Almost all of my shares were bought in Dec 2007/Jan 2008, so I'm enjoying just over 200% increase. Here's to hitting the $300 mark and more. It will happen eventually (barring a sudden loss of Jobs or another huge crash).

Staying hopeful for iPad, new notebooks, and iPhone to carry us up even further.

i think you mean just around a 50% increase;)

In Dec 07: APPL was about 200
In Jan 08: APPL was about 160 neighborhood

I don't think apple will hit 300

I think 200 is overvalued personally

wilhoitm

macrumors 6502a
Jul 22, 2002
I own 3 of the top 5 stocks there. :D I have over 100% gain on Apple alone, but this morning I finally put a stop loss in at $220. I don't think it will execute, but I do see this as the pre-iPad hype, once the pad hits the market it may not be able to hold this value. . . but then again, who knows? :D I wouldn't mind seeing a $300 price tag... or better yet, a $100 price tag after a 3 to 1 split.

Isn't Apple supposed to announce new machines sometime in the next week or two? That could help the stock also. Oh the fun of owning Apple. Just wish I would have listened to my friend and purchased it when it was $15! :( That bastard invested over $500,000 in Apple at that time, he's ready to retire now.
(Kicking myself for not listening)

Are you crazy! Get rid of that stop loss order! If you want to be like your friend you have to invest for the long term. Don't worry about the minor dips / minor gains! It is going to $300!

Marcus

smorris

macrumors member
Jul 13, 2008
Northern Ohio
Not that I listen to him, but MSNBC's Cramer says to sell AAPL the day before the iPad goes on sale. I think the guy influences the market too much, so I'd expect to see a dip.

And to put Apple, Microsoft, Berkshire, Wal-Mart, and Exxon-Mobile into perspective, Banco Santander hit $13 trillion in market capitalization today. :eek:

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
Not that I listen to him, but MSNBC's Cramer says to sell AAPL the day before the iPad goes on sale. I think the guy influences the market too much, so I'd expect to see a dip.

And to put Apple, Microsoft, Berkshire, Wal-Mart, and Exxon-Mobile into perspective, Banco Santander hit $13 trillion in market capitalization today. :eek:

I would have to agree with him, if you look at history, typically the day something major goes on sale the stock takes a beating. It did for the 3GS and 3G. This used to be true for the Keynote addresses as well. But in the last year or so, it seems that investors have started cutting earlier and earlier, so 3 or 4 days before seems to be a better approach.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.