Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SMP 4JC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
Who is using adobe CS4 on there MBP?
i am switching platforms and have grow up on the adobe suite. Everyone brags of the FCP experience but Adobe seems to still have the upper hand in overall offering for video and print work.
so are you happy with the performance on the MBP or would you rather use a pc for adobe? :confused:

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Do you mean any Adobe product?

Or just the ones relating to video?

Your thread title is not really clear and descriptive/precise to get that.

I use PS and LR on my Mac, and I don't want them to use on Windows, but that is due to Windows and not PS and LR.

I used Premiere in my Windows days but that was a version not many can remember (4, 5 and 6), but I then switched to Avid and almost never looked back.

FCP does have some similarities with Premiere though, so if you are considering changing applications, it might not be as hard to switch.

Going from Avid to FCP though is another beast.

SMP 4JC

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Feb 16, 2010
i am referring to video and photo editing. Pr, Ps, Ae, are the main ones.

i have been reading alot of people saying how the adobe programs aren't written for the mac truly so they suffer performance wise. i was just looking for some feedback. it seems the Mac community likes to support all the apple software also which is good to an extent.
It just doesn't seem that there is a solution thats comparable to the way i can use photoshop and it ties directly to after effects and in turn is put right into premiere.

Thats the workflow i love!!

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
If you can only afford one it sounds like CS4 is a better fit. FCS has nothing that compares to Ps and Apple Motion can't compare to everything that you can do in Ae.

Lethal

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
i am referring to video and photo editing. Pr, Ps, Ae, are the main ones.

i have been reading alot of people saying how the adobe programs aren't written for the mac truly so they suffer performance wise. i was just looking for some feedback. it seems the Mac community likes to support all the apple software also which is good to an extent.
It just doesn't seem that there is a solution thats comparable to the way i can use photoshop and it ties directly to after effects and in turn is put right into premiere.

Thats the workflow i love!!

Apple users just hate bloated/slow Adobe's apps are. They hardly seem optimized for speed/best performance in terms of loading or in app actions.

Most people like Apple's Final Cut Studio because it's a great suite. FCP is fast and offers a lot of functionality. Adobe's Premiere seems like a watered down version of FCP BUT it does offer native AVCHD editing.

I feel that Adobe just seems optimize its software for all platforms it offers and cut prices (Prices are ridicilous) - then people will praise the Adobe.

GeraldButton

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
FSMBP said:
Apple users just hate bloated/slow Adobe's apps are. They hardly seem optimized for speed/best performance in terms of loading or in app actions.
I have my issues with Premiere sometimes but I love Adobe. If Adobe ever released an OS I would ditch Snow Leopard instantly. And for me and my associate Motion just cannot hold a candle to After Effects in any way, and I find Motion slows down extremely fast and becomes unusable after a few hours work where as with After Effects we have no issues.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
I have my issues with Premiere sometimes but I love Adobe. If Adobe ever released an OS I would ditch Snow Leopard instantly. And for me and my associate Motion just cannot hold a candle to After Effects in any way, and I find Motion slows down extremely fast and becomes unusable after a few hours work where as with After Effects we have no issues.

That's quite the statement. I'm not going to debate anything but you have to realize is that Apple makes its own software & hardware. The integration offers less crashes due to drivers, and a more optimized OS. I'm sure Adobe could make a decent OS but I wouldn't it to be better than OS X or Windows 7 at all. Plus, I'm sure it would be overpriced.

Also, I wouldn't compare Motion to AE, as Motion is meant for mostly titling/text. It's like comparing Aperture to Photoshop. Shake would be a better comparsion to AE but Apple has discontinued it. The Final Cut Suite is missing a good compositor/visual effects editor though.

GeraldButton

macrumors member
Feb 16, 2010
Newfoundland, Canada
Also, I wouldn't compare Motion to AE, as Motion is meant for mostly titling/text. It's like comparing Aperture to Photoshop.
Ummm, isn't that what LiveType is meant for? And no, After Effects and Motion are in the same category this is not different like with Aperture / Lightroom and Photoshop. Much of what can be done in After Effects can be done in Motion and vice versa. If Motion is meant for titling and text only? Then what the hell does someone making titles and such need 6GB of extra content for that's not fonts.

FSMBP

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Ummm, isn't that what LiveType is meant for? And no, After Effects and Motion are in the same category this is not different like with Aperture / Lightroom and Photoshop. Much of what can be done in After Effects can be done in Motion and vice versa. If Motion is meant for titling and text only? Then what the hell does someone making titles and such need 6GB of extra content for that's not fonts.

Reread my post. I never said "titling and text only". Those 6 GBs are for the hundreds of high quality HD templates for graphic/titling. Also, they supply cartoony effects like smoke/magic wand dust etc.

And LiveType is NOT included in Final Cut Studio 3. It has been combined with Motion as Motion already offered many LiveType functions (hence my original point).

Again, if you want a true Apple vs. Adobe for 2D/3D visual effects, it would be Shake vs After Effects. Motion can do compositing but it doesn't mean it's in the same category of After Effects.

Lots of editors I know use Final Cut Studio for editing, sound, titling & authoring. Visual Effects are done in After Effects since Final Cut Suite currently does not have a 'pro' type 2D/3D compositor.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.