PDA

View Full Version : Need Help Connecting 7 and 10.6 in the Same Network

xkRoWx
Mar 9, 2010, 07:43 PM
I'm completely clueless with networking. I've been trying to connect my two Windows 7 desktops with my MacBook, allowing file and printer sharing for two days but every guides I've googled and tried never worked as advertised. In despair, I turn to you guys hoping somebody here can guide me through.

Here are some basic background info:

2 desktops, 1 MacBook and a Epson Stylus CX4800 printer. Networked via Linksys WRT54GS (firmware v1.52.7).

Desktop 1 (named Desktop-PC) is connected to the router via ethernet and is running Windows 7. The printer is connected to this desktop via USB.

Desktop 2 (named Desktop2-PC) is connected to the router via Wi-Fi and also running Windows 7.

MacBook is connected to the router via Wi-Fi and is running Snow Leopard 10.6 with all the latest updates.

The two desktops can see and communicate with each other with little trouble. The MacBook doesn't have any of the desktops showing at the Finder's sidebar (the MacBook doesn't show up in Windows' network and HomeGroup either). I've tried the "command+K and IP address" method but it seems like an one-time workaround solution and have to reconnect.

I'm at a loss. I don't know what to do now. Somebody helllllpppppppppp :(

satcomer
Mar 9, 2010, 08:19 PM
First read the article File Sharing With Snow Leopard: Sharing OS X 10.6 Files With Windows 7 (http://macs.about.com/od/filesharing/ss/file-sharing-with-snow-leopard-win7.htm). This should help your cause.