PDA

View Full Version : Should i get a eMac

CurtisEnergizer
Mar 10, 2010, 01:40 AM
I have been saving up for a new iMac but ive only got $300 so i had a look on Trade me which is New Zealand's version of eBay and i came across this eMac http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=276015569

I would like to use it for video editing and surfing the web.
The software i would like to put on it is Final Cut express and Garage band.

Do you think its good for that.

Please help.
:confused::):confused::o:):confused:

Sambo110
Mar 10, 2010, 02:09 AM
I would say no.

ADent
Mar 10, 2010, 02:13 AM
Which eMac? I like the 800/1000 w/ATI graphics - you can hook up a second monitor. The 700/800 machines with NVidia are a smidge lower in my book.

It should be able to boot OS 9 if its 700/800. Only some 1GHz machines can - see everymac.com for an exact list, if OS 9 is important.

It has a USB 1.0 port - very slow filling up iPods.

Try and get the OS cds with the machine.

The originals will be for OS 10.1 (for NVidia, 10.2 for ATI).

If it currently is running Tiger (10.4) and something happens w/o the disks, you may be looking at $99 to $250 for legitimate disks.

CurtisEnergizer
Mar 10, 2010, 02:21 AM
Which eMac? I like the 800/1000 w/ATI graphics - you can hook up a second monitor. The 700/800 machines with NVidia are a smidge lower in my book.

It should be able to boot OS 9 if its 700/800. Only some 1GHz machines can - see everymac.com for an exact list, if OS 9 is important.

It has a USB 1.0 port - very slow filling up iPods.

Try and get the OS cds with the machine.

The originals will be for OS 10.1 (for NVidia, 10.2 for ATI).

If it currently is running Tiger (10.4) and something happens w/o the disks, you may be looking at $99 to $250 for legitimate disks.

Hey i didn't really understand what you were saying. This is the emac
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=276015569

It has OS X, 1gb RAM and thats all i know.
I would like to use it for video editing.

Bennieboy©
Mar 10, 2010, 02:22 AM
certainly not, my sister has a eMac G4 and it's painfully slow for anything, my advice is save up more money and get a mac mini or an old intel iMac if you need the screen, G5's are mildly better but they will still struggle with what you want to do

Pachang
Mar 10, 2010, 02:23 AM
Hey i didn't really understand what you were saying. This is the emac
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=276015569

It has OS X, 1gb RAM and thats all i know.
I would like to use it for video editing.

You can't use an emac for any modern software. You will have to use old versions that were made when computers were as crap as that computer.

You should not buy that computer. It is actually worth like $30.

MacHamster68
Mar 10, 2010, 02:30 AM
if it comes with tiger and the discs fine , it will handle garageband just fine , but as its the powermac 4.4 means either 700mhz or 800mhz or 1 ghz make sure its the 1ghz model as for handling final cut
Final Cut Studio System Requirements
Macintosh computer with 867MHz or faster PowerPC G4, PowerPC G5, or Intel Core Duo processor; HD features require 1GHz or faster single or dual processors (authoring HD DVDs requires a PowerPC G5 or Intel Core Duo processor)
512MB of RAM; HD features require 1GB of RAM or more (2GB recommended)
Display with 1024-by-768 or higher resolution
AGP or PCI-E Quartz Extreme graphics card

MacHamster68
Mar 10, 2010, 02:45 AM
You can't use an emac for any modern software. You will have to use old versions that were made when computers were as crap as that computer.

You should not buy that computer. It is actually worth like $30.

that comment is a bit harsh, i sold my powermac g5 quad 2.5, because there was nothing my emac could not handle too , and i prefered the emac because of its design
emac's are still fine computers , maybe not a fast as the last g5 powermacs or latest intel's, but nobody who is considering buying a eMac is expecting it to be faster

and when i look at the prices for used mac's ... the emac offers good value for the money

Sambo110
Mar 10, 2010, 02:47 AM
There's also a 1.25 ghz eMac, I used to have one.

adrian.oconnor
Mar 10, 2010, 02:54 AM
Can you save a little bit more or sell something?

I just had a quick scan down the buy-it-now desktop Macs on that site, in price order, and this stood out:

http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Apple/Desktops/auction-275576431.htm

For an extra $100 it'd be so much better. I had one of those eMacs years ago, and it was dreadfully slow, even then. You can use it for video editing (not HD video, mind), but it'd be a painful experience, and you might also find that you're better off running an older version of FCE, which was designed with that kind of hardware in mind.

MacHamster68
Mar 10, 2010, 03:02 AM
i even would consider this one
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Apple/Desktops/auction-275954306.htm
ok its not working , but if you get it for under 100 new zealand dollars it might be worth to repair it ,depending if the seller can explain what went wrong , as i seen working 1.42 ghz models go for over 600 dollars in new zealand
you could use this one for the spares needed looks battered with speaker grill missing but working
http://www.trademe.co.nz/Computers/Apple/Desktops/auction-276957017.htm
i mean if the broken parts in one match the working parts in the other you could have for nz dollars under 200 a working eMac 1.42

and keep in mind only the 1.25 and 1.42 models offer usb 2.0 , but actually not a problem as all emac offer firewire 400 which is faster then usb 2.0 (if you connect external harddrive or dvd burner) (there was a 1ghz model with usb 2.0 and the faster bus of 167mhz too but only sold to the education market )

i prefer the eMac over the imac g5 , but thats me , but if emacs 1.42 sell for over 500 in new zealand i would be very suspicious about someone selling a imac g5 for less then 400 (looks good in advert , but if someone sells for less then others i always get careful)it COULD be a bargain

mtnDewFTW
Mar 10, 2010, 04:12 AM
... video editing? Are you kidding me? On THAT eMac?
I'm sorry, but that would never work. If you're trying to get REALLY old software for it, then maybe, but you also have to think how much that software had advanced over the years. So most likely you would never be able to do any decent video editing on there.

Seriously, just save up more money and do yourself a favor. Don't waste your money on this thing.

MacHamster68
Mar 10, 2010, 05:52 AM
I'm sorry, but that would never work. If you're trying to get REALLY old software for it, then maybe, but you also have to think how much that software had advanced over the years. So most likely you would never be able to do any decent video editing on there.

Seriously, just save up more money and do yourself a favor. Don't waste your money on this thing.

typical answer of a intel mac owner ,there are people out there who cant safe up that sort of money a intel mac cost ,even used as the owners charge more then these are worth , so starting with a eMac to get into mac world is a perfect solution
if final cut says minimum 867mhz g4 then a 1 ghz eMac will be just fine if you give it a bit more ram and for some it is not necessary to have the latest software to edit some home made films for example, the latest software is not always the best anyway

alent1234
Mar 10, 2010, 07:44 AM
$300 you can get a cheapo PC that is a lot faster than an ancient emac

mabaker
Mar 10, 2010, 07:54 AM
Exactly my sentiments! Some of the Mactel owners here do NOT realize that there are still PPC users out there with machines that boot and get things done faster than the brand new unibody boxes!

Having said that an eMac for web surfing is very good. I’d put Flash Player 8 on it, too, to guarantee flawless Flash playback, tho. :)

As far as video editing is concerned, I’d be rather cautious. To get good results you’d need at least 1.42 GHz CPU and 1 GB of RAM. Depends however what exactly you understand by saying “editing”? Will it be your usual family DVD or some more serious stuff? iMovie 6 HD would be fine for the first option.

MrCheeto
Mar 10, 2010, 07:58 AM
I believe anything with an Intel Core2Duo processor will suit you.

Anything that is labeled G3, G4 or G5 is simply too old and the architecture is no longer supported.

Find a MacBook, those things go for major cheap.

nicroma
Mar 10, 2010, 08:11 AM
Keep saving that money for a new iMac. Just think how great your computer will be when you have enough! I'm sure the next generation will be out by then.

CurtisEnergizer
Mar 10, 2010, 11:54 AM

I already have a hackintosh witch is Laptop PC running Mac OS X 10.5.2
It has a 2.13 GHz Intel Core Solo
With 2 GB RAM.
But it is slowly dyeing and i want this mac so i can slowing upgrade it like eventually put more ram and make it all pro.
My music teacher at school said there great little things. He has 2 of them.

MacHamster68
Mar 10, 2010, 02:59 PM
your teacher is right trust him :)
after the slot loading iMac g3 the eMac is the best AIO computer apple has ever produced
the new ones might be faster , but just to big and to fragile
the emac is well made and heavy and looks rugged and at the same time just beautiful , and with it you get a perfect display
no dead pixel , no stripes, no pressure marks ( and i don't refer to the problems with the latest iMacs 27" ) just look on ebay uk and ebay .com and other ebay sites worldwide and look how many faulty eMacs are listed and compare with how many faulty imac g5 and imac core duo and core 2 duo are listed most of them with screen trouble , they didn't build them to last
thats why i don't consider the newer imac's worth buying used ,faster processor doesnt help if the screen doesn't show a proper picture or none at all and is more expensive to replace then the value of the whole computer , ok some might cry out now that theirs is perfect , but for how long? when even new imacs with up to 7 dead pixels ? are no argument for replacement ? ....i dont like gambling , i stay safe with the eMac ;)

and for all friend of the iMac G4 dont worry yours is not a computer its a design icon
so its worth to replace a faulty screen at any cost :)

this post reflects my opinion , you dont have to share it and i dont force you to agree, so you are allowed to have your own

ppnkg
Mar 10, 2010, 03:02 PM
save a little more and get a mini, you won't regret it ;)

definitive
Mar 10, 2010, 06:58 PM
is op serious? what a waste of money.

MacHamster68
Mar 10, 2010, 08:11 PM
is op serious? what a waste of money.

a emac is never a waste of money , what is more a waste of money buying a 5 year old computer which works flawless for £200 or buying a new computer for near £ 2000 which gets one problem after the other ... i prefer to buy some more eMacs ...

CurtisEnergizer
Mar 10, 2010, 11:31 PM
a emac is never a waste of money , what is more a waste of money buying a 5 year old computer which works flawless for £200 or buying a new computer for near £ 2000 which gets one problem after the other ... i prefer to buy some more eMacs ...

Hey thanks man. Ive just go to wait until the guy gives me more info on the eMac like the processor.

mrsir2009
Mar 10, 2010, 11:42 PM
Garage Band should work on it, I've seen it done quite a lot before. Though Final Cut might not work too well on it... To better your chances of it working though you could try sticking some more RAM in it, since its only got 1GB. 2GB would help greatly :D

eMacs are pretty great computer running Tiger, I've had one and it smokes my iMac white Intel:cool: Even though the eMac's specs aren't nearly as good...lol

mrsir2009
Mar 10, 2010, 11:43 PM
Good luck!

mBurns
Mar 11, 2010, 12:23 AM
My first computer was a 1.42 ghz eMac in 2005. It's still in commission. I purchased a MacBook Pro Core Duo the following year (still my main Mac). I use the eMac once a week or so downstairs for internet surfing. I can play Halo, UT 2004, do video editing, garageband, iTunes, etc with ease. Granted, I have 2 GB of Ram. I would only purchase the 1.42 Ghz eMac since it comes with 64 mB VRAM.

An eMac will work, but the performance won't be blazing. It won't be dead slow either. I run Tiger on my eMac because I feel it's faster. One should have reasonable expectations for a $300 Mac investment, which in all honesty, seems slightly high unless the machine is mint...

Also, don't forget there WERE problems with the eMac. Anyone remember the capacitor fiasco??

CurtisEnergizer
Mar 11, 2010, 12:49 AM
Good luck!

Hey i just found out that it is 1ghz processor and 10.4.11 1GB of ram. but im going to put 2gb in and leopard.

So do you think i should get it?

MrCheeto
Mar 11, 2010, 12:52 AM
Sorry, but the 1.25ghz G4 is the current cutoff. It handles Flash just well enough and is just at the entry level for most modern software that is PowerPC compatible.

I say 1.25ghz or bust.

I'm telling you, for that price you can get an Intel machine that won't disappoint.

CurtisEnergizer
Mar 11, 2010, 01:44 AM
Sorry, but the 1.25ghz G4 is the current cutoff. It handles Flash just well enough and is just at the entry level for most modern software that is PowerPC compatible.

I say 1.25ghz or bust.

I'm telling you, for that price you can get an Intel machine that won't disappoint.

what if i was to only use it with imovie?

MrCheeto
Mar 11, 2010, 01:49 AM
Oh well in that case, iMovie HD is just great! I wouldn't even try '08 or '09 but the original iMovie's are said to be the best anyway.

jjahshik32
Mar 11, 2010, 02:13 AM
All I can say is "keep on saving."

MrCheeto
Mar 11, 2010, 02:18 AM
Are we talking three hundred REAL American dollars?

It simply isn't worth that much, and it's sad that people get sucked into it by it's super modern design, not realizing it's YEARS old and their kids are going to bichan moan about how it's not able to play the latest Flash games and run Call of Duty.

Please, PLEASE, get a Mac Mini Intel. ANY Intel machine will blow this big box AWAY!

MacHamster68
Mar 11, 2010, 03:31 AM
:eek: a mini ...in that price range they are most times upgraded by the owner with hammer and chisel, if i look at some cases when the case doesn't fit together any more
and most times you need to buy keyboard mouse and monitor too

CurtisEnergizer
Mar 11, 2010, 11:53 AM
:eek: a mini ...in that price range they are most times upgraded by the owner with hammer and chisel, if i look at some cases when the case doesn't fit together any more
and most times you need to buy keyboard mouse and monitor too

Ok then what if i was just to get the eMac and use it for my internet things like skype, youtube, twitter clients, ichat then use my Hackintosh witch is 2.13 GHZ processor and 2gb RAM for all my programs such as FCE, Garage band, Photoshop.

That that will lay some weight of the Hackintosh so it will render fast.

What do you guys think?

MacHamster68
Mar 11, 2010, 02:15 PM
Ok then what if i was just to get the eMac and use it for my internet things like skype, youtube, twitter clients, ichat then use my Hackintosh witch is 2.13 GHZ processor and 2gb RAM for all my programs such as FCE, Garage band, Photoshop.

That that will lay some weight of the Hackintosh so it will render fast.

What do you guys think?

good idea , the eMac will be just fine (dont use flashplayer 10 )

CurtisEnergizer
Mar 11, 2010, 02:38 PM
good idea , the eMac will be just fine (dont use flashplayer 10 )

Yeah i dont really like watching youtube video with Flashplayer 10 its to glichy and you cant tell when the video is fully loaded lol.

Thanks for all your help i will send you a message if i need any help with the eMac

btw feel free to check out my youtube videos at http://youtube.com/CurtisTheEnergizer

:)

CurtisEnergizer
Mar 11, 2010, 02:40 PM
Thank you everyone for all of your help!
I will keep you guys updated on the emac :)

Feel free to watch my youtube videos at http://Youtube.com/CurtisTheEnergizer

:)

mrsir2009
Mar 11, 2010, 09:13 PM
Hey i just found out that it is 1ghz processor and 10.4.11 1GB of ram. but im going to put 2gb in and leopard.

So do you think i should get it?

Hey, if you have pre-intel Macs you might want to sign up to this forum and ask the question (since its geared towalds pre-intel Macs): http://classicmac.freeforums.org/

I found it on Google I might join myself...:D Also, wait till you find out the other specs, then decide.

adrian.oconnor
Mar 12, 2010, 02:12 AM

Why would a 5 year old computer work flawlessly and a new one not? The emac is significantly more likely to fail than a new computer, because the HDD is reaching the end of its life and there was a known problem with capacitors breaking down.

eMacs are pretty great computer running Tiger, I've had one and it smokes my iMac white Intel:cool: Even though the eMac's specs aren't nearly as good...lol

I doubt very much that it smokes your white intel iMac if you measure it objectively. The intel Macs I have owned, even the slow first generation ones, were all significantly faster than my G4 eMac (unless you're running old PPC code through Rosetta, then they're just a bit faster.)

MacHamster68
Mar 12, 2010, 05:00 AM
Why would a 5 year old computer work flawlessly and a new one not? The emac is significantly more likely to fail than a new computer, because the HDD is reaching the end of its life and there was a known problem with capacitors breaking down.
just look on the problems you buy if you buy a 27"imac ..and still no end in sight with new problems turning up

and since when is 5 years the end of the life for a harddrive , ok maybe in intel macs it is :eek:
in my imac g3 the harddrive is from 2001 and still working perfectly after 9 years of use
in my powermac 5500 the harddrive is form 1997 and still working perfectly after 13 years of use
the only harddrive ever failed in my computers before they had been 13 years old was a harddrive in a laptop which failed after 4 weeks ...seagate inside , intel inside...very bad combination , sold it straight away without even consider getting it repaired under warranty ,i dont trust things that have problems so early in life , i always had bad luck with computers /laptops having newer processors then intel p4 prescott ,thats why i avoid them , never had problems with amd /powerpc inside

and for the bad cap issue it only effects eMacs and iMac G5's too, produced between end 2003 and end 2004

definitive
Mar 12, 2010, 11:24 AM

that's like buying a flawlessly working pentium1 computer with windows 98 - no point in spending money on outdated hardware with hardly any support for today's software when you can buy something newer with warranty.

nicroma
Mar 12, 2010, 11:31 AM
Wow there is some bad advice here. Just keep saving and buy yourself a new machine. A Mac Mini will blow you away compared to what you are looking at buying, and it doesn't cost that much more.

Just keep saving!

alent1234
Mar 12, 2010, 11:40 AM
just look on the problems you buy if you buy a 27"imac ..and still no end in sight with new problems turning up

and since when is 5 years the end of the life for a harddrive , ok maybe in intel macs it is :eek:
in my imac g3 the harddrive is from 2001 and still working perfectly after 9 years of use
in my powermac 5500 the harddrive is form 1997 and still working perfectly after 13 years of use
the only harddrive ever failed in my computers before they had been 13 years old was a harddrive in a laptop which failed after 4 weeks ...seagate inside , intel inside...very bad combination , sold it straight away without even consider getting it repaired under warranty ,i dont trust things that have problems so early in life , i always had bad luck with computers /laptops having newer processors then intel p4 prescott ,thats why i avoid them , never had problems with amd /powerpc inside

and for the bad cap issue it only effects eMacs and iMac G5's too, produced between end 2003 and end 2004

hard drives are mechanical, means they die faster than non-mechanical devices. i've had some last a year others for many years.

the normal bell curve for any electronic device is most failures occur in year 1, year 2-3 are flat and after year 3 it's a gradual increase in the failure rate. so your advice about dumping something that broke right away is wrong

alent1234
Mar 12, 2010, 11:43 AM
I have been saving up for a new iMac but ive only got $300 so i had a look on Trade me which is New Zealand's version of eBay and i came across this eMac http://www.trademe.co.nz/Browse/Listing.aspx?id=276015569

I would like to use it for video editing and surfing the web.
The software i would like to put on it is Final Cut express and Garage band.

Do you think its good for that.

Please help.
:confused::):confused::o:):confused:

for $300 get a used mac mini on ebay

CurtisEnergizer
Mar 12, 2010, 11:55 AM
for $300 get a used mac mini on ebay

Hey there is no point me getting a flash intel mac when i already have a good Hackntosh witch is a intel mac with a 2.13 ghz processor and im going to use the emac for all my internet things and my hacntosh laptop for my programs like FCE.

mrsir2009
Mar 12, 2010, 12:34 PM
Hey there is no point me getting a flash intel mac when i already have a good Hackntosh witch is a intel mac with a 2.13 ghz processor and im going to use the emac for all my internet things and my hacntosh laptop for my programs like FCE.

The eMac will be fine for the internet, you wouldn't notice the difference between Intel and G4 when your just browsing:D Ya don't always need modern computers, and sometimes its best to stick to the "classics". A lot of them have less problems and are better built then the new ones... Up until a year ago I've been using an iMac G3 as my main computer, never had any problems with her, and she's still in my garage in case my MBP fails me:cool:

MacHamster68
Mar 12, 2010, 12:36 PM
hard drives are mechanical, means they die faster than non-mechanical devices. i've had some last a year others for many years.

the normal bell curve for any electronic device is most failures occur in year 1, year 2-3 are flat and after year 3 it's a gradual increase in the failure rate. so your advice about dumping something that broke right away is wrong

i did not give advise , i just said that i always had problems with computers with intel and seagate inside and i am the worst customer , as i don't want to run forward and backwards and beg to get something repaired or exchanged , risking to receive the same rubbish again , thats one reason i stopped buying NEW computers , i don't earn my money to spend it to be used as a guinea pig
that is manly the reason i buy used computers , as it does not hurt that much if a cheap used computer breaks down , but buying a new one and hope it stays a couple days on my desk before i have to bring it back because of some fault ....not with me

Stan Mikulenka
Mar 12, 2010, 12:42 PM
Hi alent1234,
all HDs have stated failure rate in their specs (I think it's called MFBT), which is between 500k~1 000k hrs - yes 1 000 000 Hrs.
Just count how many years they SHOULD last even IF run 24 Hrs a day.
As MacHamster says, "they don't make them as they used to"
I have some SCSI hard drives which are between 10~20 years old & in perfect condition.
Now they churn them by milions in 3rd world countries (and crappy quality)
I had many new HDs fail in last 5 years...

Pachang
Mar 12, 2010, 01:33 PM

why don't you just use the laptop for both?

Honestly this thread is hilarious. You want to get an eMac for no reason at all.

mrsir2009
Mar 12, 2010, 01:40 PM
why don't you just use the laptop for both?

Honestly this thread is hilarious. You want to get an eMac for no reason at all.

Its nice to have two in case one fails...:D Besides, its fun buying old computers, I brought a Mac Classic a few years back, and that had even less of a reason to be brought than the eMac:cool:

Pachang
Mar 13, 2010, 12:30 AM
Its nice to have two in case one fails...:D Besides, its fun buying old computers, I brought a Mac Classic a few years back, and that had even less of a reason to be brought than the eMac:cool:

I guess it is fun. But this is a kid with 300bucks to spend not a collector of mac gear. He needs to get the best computer he can with it. I really don't think that this eMac is it.

MrCheeto
Mar 13, 2010, 12:31 AM
Wait a minute...what about shipping 0.o

If it's being shipped, I'd HIGHLY recommend any Apple portable or a Mini.

glenh2oman
Mar 13, 2010, 12:39 AM
I'd always recommend an eMac, but don't expect snappy performance for the kind of stuff you're wanting to do. Do NOT get one that has only USB 1.1, as this will annoy you forever more (I say that from experience) and based on the research I've done, there's no way to add USB 2.0 on. Other than the USB, check that the optical drive is what you want (decide if it needs DVD), and then go for it!

mrsir2009
Mar 13, 2010, 12:40 AM
I guess it is fun. But this is a kid with 300bucks to spend not a collector of mac gear. He needs to get the best computer he can with it. I really don't think that this eMac is it.

Hey hey hey, who said he was a kid?:rolleyes:

Pachang
Mar 13, 2010, 04:54 AM
Hey hey hey, who said he was a kid?:rolleyes:

Check youtube videos. It's a young guy. When I was his age eMacs were new!!

Mar 14, 2010, 02:10 PM
I own quite a few eMacs, since they were given to me by a school that didn't need them, and I'd say no. Yes, they're nice computers, but for Final Cut, I really wouldn't bother. They're definitely not fast enough, and even with GarageBand it's a bit weak. I guess it's an OK computer for webbrowsing, or maybe something you can give to your child or whatever, but Final Cut for example is high end software, and not really the kind of thing you want to be running on an eMac.

Saying that, the specs would make a difference to this.

I agree. I would instead go for something along the lines of a cheap Dell laptop. I own a Dell Studio 15 and it's great.

CurtisEnergizer
Mar 14, 2010, 11:46 PM
So i got the eMac and it has a 1 ghz processor and 1gb of RAM. Im happy with it but when i watch non HD youtube videos there glichy and jumpy. Im not using it with FCP and garage band i just want it for internet browsing and watching youtube videos but there to glichy.
I have upgraded my flash player to 10 but there still bad.

Is there any way to fix this?

Also i have tiger 10.4.11 installed

mrsir2009
Mar 14, 2010, 11:49 PM
I own quite a few eMacs, since they were given to me by a school that didn't need them, and I'd say no. Yes, they're nice computers, but for Final Cut, I really wouldn't bother. They're definitely not fast enough, and even with GarageBand it's a bit weak. I guess it's an OK computer for webbrowsing, or maybe something you can give to your child or whatever, but Final Cut for example is high end software, and not really the kind of thing you want to be running on an eMac.

I agree. I would instead go for something along the lines of a cheap Dell laptop. I own a Dell Studio 15 and it's great.

Yeah, you could make a hakintosh outa it. Of course only if the OP is a techy guy:cool:

CurtisEnergizer
Mar 15, 2010, 01:16 AM
Yeah, you could make a hakintosh outa it. Of course only if the OP is a techy guy:cool:

My current laptop is a hackintosh and ive got it fully working.
Could please reply to my last post.

jonutarr
Mar 15, 2010, 01:39 AM
My friend had an old eMac, looked great in his garden

Pachang
Mar 15, 2010, 07:47 AM
So i got the eMac and it has a 1 ghz processor and 1gb of RAM. Im happy with it but when i watch non HD youtube videos there glichy and jumpy. Im not using it with FCP and garage band i just want it for internet browsing and watching youtube videos but there to glichy.

Nope. This is why you shouldn't have got an eMac.:)

MrCheeto
Mar 15, 2010, 09:03 AM
OP, 10.1 will perform better than 10 on your machine. I installed it on my PowerMac G4 1.25ghz single processor and MOST Flash content is just fine. Download plug-in for Macintosh (http://labs.adobe.com/downloads/flashplayer10.html)

Install Leopard, it will perform just a bit better. I notice the ONLY thing that's slower since upgrading is startup time. 1gb of memory is just fine for internet and a few apps. I play Quake III Arena, listen to iTunes and browse the net in all kinds of combinations and 768mb of memory seems to be enough for me because my Page-outs are often at 0-1xx.

I have also played with iWeb, Pages, iPhoto, Garageband, Numbers and iMovie HD and they perform just swell. My major problems are I don't have Core Image capability, therefore Keynote's graphics are super slow in editing and watching and I don't have access to the Core Image effects. As well GarageBand can make your cursor sticky as tar.

iLife '09 and iWork '09 perform just swell on this machine. All I'd need is a Core Image card. As well I can't install iMovie '08 or '09 so that's sort of a bummer.

Good luck.

definitive
Mar 15, 2010, 10:47 AM

http://i43.tinypic.com/24gq3vd.jpg

you bought an old computer despite people warning you that it was outdated. this is exactly why it's glitchy - the hardware isn't fast enough for today's applications. sir, i bid you good day.

alent1234
Mar 15, 2010, 11:11 AM

upgrade to a better CPU and graphics chip

the 2010 internet is not your grandpa's internet

MrCheeto
Mar 15, 2010, 11:32 AM
Back in my days, the America Online was used for pornography. The times, they are a changing.

connormurray
Mar 15, 2010, 11:35 AM
I would say no.
I would say no way. Particularly for what you're wanting to use it for.

madwolf
Mar 15, 2010, 02:02 PM
I don't know if anyone noticed that OP is from New Zealand, so that's probably $300NZD (New Zealand Dollars), that's about 200USD.

nicroma
Mar 15, 2010, 03:47 PM
Nope. This is why you shouldn't have got an eMac.:)

No kidding, It is a shame he didn't listen to anyone. :(

MrCheeto
Mar 15, 2010, 03:48 PM
He clearly listened to the guy that was selling :D

MacHamster68
Mar 15, 2010, 05:42 PM
the eMac is still the best AIO computer apple ever made after the iMac g3 , it works flawless over years

Zygon Gambit
Mar 16, 2010, 07:09 AM
My 1.25Ghz, 2GB RAM eMac works fine on YouTube. And that's running 10.4.11.

MrCheeto
Mar 16, 2010, 07:10 AM
It seems the difference between 1ghz and 1.25ghz is where Youtube becomes a wreck :P

What version of Flash are you running? I can't play video well without the 10.1 Beta 3.

CurtisEnergizer
Mar 16, 2010, 01:40 PM
Last night i downloaded flash player 9 and youtube videos work like a breeze. Thanks everyone!

:D

MrCheeto
Mar 16, 2010, 01:49 PM
I believe, however, most Flash content will force you to download the latest versions.

Just keep version 10.1 in mind.

msjones
Mar 17, 2010, 06:35 AM
Few hundred more and you can get a mac mini. Granted you have to supply the monitor and other peripherals but I have just got one and use mine for editing and its pretty sweet.

wimpytx93
Mar 20, 2010, 04:23 PM
I used to have an emac 700mhz i was even able to run leopard on it, the only thing though is that they are loud and most of them pre 1ghz use usb 1.1 which is painfully slow. They do have the faster firewire but as most components now days are USB, it hardly helps. I would not get one unless it was at least 1ghz w/ usb 2.0, but be careful as there are two versions of the 1ghz one with usb 1.1 and one with 2.0. Also you might just be better off waiting for a better deal i got my 17" imac g4 with 1gb RAM 80gb hard drive, and super drive for $249 :)

cstev11
Mar 21, 2010, 05:12 AM

God, they were given to you. I couldn't even buy them from a school that was getting rid of them. :confused:

MacHamster68
Mar 21, 2010, 06:06 AM
final cut pro HD 4.5 ok it is not the latest version but works on the emac ,according apple and they should know
and final cut pro hd 4.5 should still be fine for the private casual user ,who just wants to edit the video of granny's birthday or the last holiday he made with his digi cam
the professional would not chose anything below a highly upgraded macpro with multiple apple 30"cinema HD displays and the newest version of Final cut if he wants to edit some movies for MGM and the like , but then he would most likely use Avid anyway ,as its more common in that industry

http://support.apple.com/kb/TA37638?viewlocale=en_US