Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

byoung2beer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
My gf recently got her IBook G4 laptop back from her brother.. We currently have DSL through Comcast.. 2 questions: Do I need a Wireless router to use this computer through out the house? Do I need a Airport Extreme Wireless card since there isn't one installed under the keyboard?? If so, will this card work for my application??

http://www.primelec.com/Networking/...Adapters/Apple-Airport-Extreme-p2516407.html#

I'm new to Macs so take it easy on me plus it's for the lady..

Thanks

sml238

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
yeah your going to need to hook up a wireless router to your dsl router. and the wireless card you have shown says it works for the ibook g4 so that should be good as well.

good luck with everything

byoung2beer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
So I went ahead and bought the Wireless card.. Now I wanted to get your input on a good wireless router?? I heard Dlink is a good one and a Dynex. I also have a desktop PC that will be hooked up as well.. So I need one that will work for the laptop as well as the PC.

Thanks

andalusia

macrumors 68030
Apr 10, 2009
Manchester, UK
So I went ahead and bought the Wireless card.. Now I wanted to get your input on a good wireless router?? I heard Dlink is a good one and a Dynex. I also have a desktop PC that will be hooked up as well.. So I need one that will work for the laptop as well as the PC.

Thanks

Netgear are pretty good, I recommend them.

pvmacguy

macrumors 65816
Sep 2, 2009
Jax
Yes your good to go with the wifi card and router. iBook will run off of wireless G since airport extreme cards only supported up to G.

byoung2beer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
Sounds good!! One more question.. If I wanted to upgrade the computer a bit like more RAM and stuff, what would you guys recommend for the upgrade and where would I look to buy this stuff??

Thanks

sml238

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
newegg.com and otherworldcomputing.com (both sites have helpers that guide you in which memory works for your computer) and these sites have great deals

i recommend crucial ram, thats what i use. but pretty much any ram as long as its compatible will work good.

and yeah get a wireless G router. i like my belkin. its nice.

byoung2beer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
What 1gb memory stick will work with my setup?? I noticed there's PC2100, PC2700?? Not sure what one to buy..

Thanks

sml238

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
What 1gb memory stick will work with my setup?? I noticed there's PC2100, PC2700?? Not sure what one to buy..

Thanks

im not sure. im not too familiar with ibooks. do you know if you have 2 ram slots or 1? you could probably just type in what ram for ibook g4 in google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.