Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
My girlfriend currently lives in Norway, whereas I am stuck in Washington, DC in college and I am trying to find a way to video chat with her. Normally I would just go with iChat AV, but sadly all she has is a PC (I'm working on it :), but that really is the least of my problems, if you know what I mean). If we were both to get webcams, would there be a way to use them to chat (without having to pay fees or pay for extra software)? Thanks ahead of time for your help.

PlaceofDis

macrumors Core
Jan 6, 2004
you can use iChat AV on your mac with an iSight or other firewire webcam, and she can use any windows-based webcam with the latest version of AOL instant messenger, or AIM which is available at http://www.aim.com, you two will be able to chat with no problems, but she will need a microphone as well

janey

macrumors 603
Dec 20, 2002
sunny los angeles
Macaddicttt said:
My girlfriend currently lives in Norway, whereas I am stuck in Washington, DC in college and I am trying to find a way to video chat with her. Normally I would just go with iChat AV, but sadly all she has is a PC (I'm working on it :), but that really is the least of my problems, if you know what I mean). If we were both to get webcams, would there be a way to use them to chat (without having to pay fees or pay for extra software)? Thanks ahead of time for your help.

if you get an iSight/firewire cam, or a USB cam with iChatUSB, and if she got AIM 5.5 then of course a videochat would be possible for free. keep in mind both of you would need a fast connection (assuming youre in college that wont be a problem for you).

http://aimtoday.aol.com/features/main_redesign.adp?fid=video_im

Macaddicttt

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 22, 2004
San Diego, CA
Thanks for the help guys. Also, would this work for just audio chats if we both have microphones? I noticed that the AIM website only mentions Video IM, not Audio IM. Before we both get webcams, it would be nice to save money on phone calls (they can get pretty expensive) by doing audio chats. Thanks again.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.