Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

filemeaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
I don't have an tv yet, but I plan on getting one eventually. I've read about a lot of you tagging your movies with MetaX, then importing to iTunes for watching on the tv.

I see on Apple's site that the 3.0 software (or whatever the latest ver. is) supports sorting by Actor and Director. I just would like some confirmation that this does work on user-added videos, not just iTS movie purchases.

Thanks in advace to anyone who can help with this. :)

egcsnd.png

roidy

macrumors 65816
Dec 30, 2008
Nottingham, UK
No, browsing by Actor/Director is only for purchasing iTS content and not your own library. The only way to view your own library on the ATV is by Title or Genre. This is something Apple needs to sort out because once you start getting a large library of content then it can be hard to find what your looking for.

filemeaway

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 11, 2008
Thanks! I guess I shouldn't have assumed. That's pretty disappointing though, especially since the ability is obviously there. Why support the metadata if they won't let us use it?

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
It's not limited to the Apple TV. I have the same problem with iTunes.

For some reason a lot of movie metadata is not exposed in iTunes. Otherwise, you would be able to build a smart playlist around a specific actor or director.

The only way I know to get around it is to put the actors and directors names in the artist field in addition to having something like MetaX, Subler or iFlicks to put the names in the proper actor and directors fields.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.