PDA

View Full Version : Speeding Up Fans in Windows For Gaming?

rekhyt
Mar 11, 2010, 02:00 AM
I have tried to browse through the threads in MacRumors and failed to find an answer that provided the solution for this problem.

I have a 2009 Unibody MacBook Pro 15" and when I go in Windows, the fans usually spin at the normal 2500RPM speed, and while I game the fans go up really high, so when I play a game like Need for Speed: Undercover or a MMO, it just freezes. (Probably because the computer is going at a temperature above the operating limits.)

I looked at some solutions that were said in the threads. One example was to set your fans at 3500RPM or 4500RPM (Or at any speed you wish) in Mac first, then restart to Windows to have the same speed.

I tried that and it worked once, but after I put it to sleep mode and resumed it from standby/sleep mode, the speed went back to 2500RPM.

Are there any permanent solutions (Driver updates, programs that speed up fans,)?

Thanks in advance,
Rekhyt

ayeying
Mar 11, 2010, 02:05 AM
That's really your only option. There's not that much that does much to speed up the fans in windows.

I personally find that letting it speed up by itself works fine. My fans speeds up to 6000rpm (max) when I load a game in Vista.

rekhyt
Mar 11, 2010, 02:59 AM
That's really your only option. There's not that much that does much to speed up the fans in windows.

I personally find that letting it speed up by itself works fine. My fans speeds up to 6000rpm (max) when I load a game in Vista.

That's strange. I did install the Boot Camp drivers from the disk in XP (That may be the problem. XP.) however I did not run any upgrades to newer version of Boot Camp.

Would the updates change much?

ayeying
Mar 11, 2010, 11:38 AM
It might or it might not. The fan control isn't in the drivers but the firmware that independent of any OS. I never had an issue with fans not revving up in Windows, it's usually the opposite where the fans are always running and never stop in windows.