Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jakemon94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
hey everybody,

i think i will be getting a new ipod touch soon and i'm looking at getting the 32gb model. however, i don't want to buy one and then be mad because a new one comes out a month later. i noticed that many website such as bhphotovideo.com and amazon.com have lowered their prices on the newest ipod touch models and i think that suggests that a new ipod touch is coming out soon. on april 3rd with the ipad perhaps? when do you think a new ipod touch will come out? many sites say june or september, but i don't know what to think.

Mac'nCheese

Suspended
Feb 9, 2010
from the buyers guide on this site

iPod touch

Recent Releases
???
9/2009
9/2008
2/2008
Product iPod touch
Recommendation: Neutral - Mid product cycle
Last Release September 09, 2009
Days Since Update 183 (Avg = 245)
Recent Rumors

01/07: CES 2010: iLuv and Mophie with App Integrated Accessories
12/28: App Store Download Statistics Suggest Strong iPod Touch Holiday Sales
12/03: Apple Nixes Support for New iPod Click Wheel Games?
11/26: Apple Black Friday Sales Begin in Australia and New Zealand [Updatedx2]
11/19: Apple Researching Methods for 'Pushing' User Interfaces to Accessories from Media Devices
...more...

leomac08

macrumors 68020
Jul 12, 2009
Los Angeles, CA
now that i'm going to get an iPad...........i kinda hate the ipod touch......haha...

i have the 1G. I was going to get the iPt 3G w/ camera....but apple broke my heart....

now it's iPad FTW!!!:D

jakemon94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
buy it... most probably its not coming until september, which is the usual time they update the whole ipod line

yeah that's what i was thinking, but amazon and b&h have $30 off for the 32gb touch. i thought that might mean a new update coming soon. maybe not?

Plutonius

macrumors G3
Feb 22, 2003
New Hampshire, USA
hey everybody,

i think i will be getting a new ipod touch soon and i'm looking at getting the 32gb model. however, i don't want to buy one and then be mad because a new one comes out a month later. i noticed that many website such as bhphotovideo.com and amazon.com have lowered their prices on the newest ipod touch models and i think that suggests that a new ipod touch is coming out soon. on april 3rd with the ipad perhaps? when do you think a new ipod touch will come out? many sites say june or september, but i don't know what to think.

Not a chance...

The reason they are lowering the price is that the iPad is going to eat into Touch sales.

Penguissimo

macrumors 6502a
Nov 17, 2009
Michigan
Amazon often knocks $30 off the price of iPods; even within the first month after this latest generation was released, you could get them cheaper on Amazon than anywhere else. I know that when mom bought my dad one for his birthday in November, she got it for $270 at Amazon. Ditto for when he reciprocated in December.

That and, as others have said, new ipod releases are almost always in September.

In other words, don't worry; just take this deal while you can :)

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
California
I'd like an Adamantium Back!

I hope they release the Touch they should've released before they screwed it up and Jobs had to do his song and dance "No really, we wanted the upgrade to be pathetically disappointing and mediocre."

jakemon94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010
Ah, okay. I'll probably get one this weekend then. Apparently there's supposed to be some kind of announcement on April 1st? Someone said that on another one of my threads about April 3rd. I was wondering if something else might be going out on that day, like sometimes how they have multiple items or updates that come out on the same day. Any one have any info on April 1st or something that may also come out on April 3rd?

metalhead777

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
California
The iPad will be released on April 3rd. I'm not sure if Apple will put the 3.2 OS out for everyone that doesn't have an iPad, but we'll just have to wait and see. :D :apple:

Jenkins12

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
Yea they'll be coming out with a new iPod Touch, but they may just pull what they did to the last generation:

Introducing the new iPod Touch 3rd Gen!
New Features: Faster

Introducing the new iPod Touch 4th Gen!
New Features: Even Faster, still no camera

metalhead777

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2010
California
Yea they'll be coming out with a new iPod Touch, but they may just pull what they did to the last generation:

Of course there's not going to be a camera. If they added that, why don't we just add vibration, gps, messaging, and calling while we're at it? Maybe a contract for the iPod Touch as well? There's a distinct line between iPod Touch and iPhone. Leave it at that. :D :apple:

Jenkins12

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
Of course there's not going to be a camera. If they added that, why don't we just add vibration, gps, messaging, and calling while we're at it? Maybe a contract for the iPod Touch as well? There's a distinct line between iPod Touch and iPhone. Leave it at that. :D :apple:

Haha yes I know, it's just a little frustrating anticipating a new iPod Touch, yet knowing that all they can pretty much do now is software upgrades, faster processor, and larger memory.

d1nerladyman

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2010
i pod camera

whats the odds that there will be a camera in the new one?
because i dont want to buy it and then lose out on the camera?:apple:

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
California
Odds are extremely good.

They had to back out of it before because they couldn't get it working in time. They have had plenty of time to make it go now.

jakemon94

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 11, 2010

Okay, how do you know that?

Mlrollin91

macrumors G5
Nov 20, 2008
I don't think we will end up seeing a camera in the iPod Touch until we see a front facing camera in the iPhone. Apple has made it quite clear that the iPod Touch is the next generation gaming device, therefore a camera is not needed. Without a camera on the iPad, I doubt we will see one on a touch any time soon.

calguy

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2008
San Franciso Bay Area
iTouch Cam I hope

Ok. They pulled the camera from the last iTouch but I don't think for competition reasons because the iPhone has one. The iTouch has more internal room which is why it can have 64GB vs 32GB for the iPhone. I believe that it was more for technical reasons. The iPhone increased to 3mp. I can see that with the advancement of CMOS technology and software and lens design, it is very possible to get a 5mp sensor. One of the complaints is shooting in dark situations where only software was used to boost the iso and the images were very grainy or had virtually no detail where it would be nice to have. Now, with the new sensitivity ( as seen in the new Nikons to get 3 stops more sensitivity vs the older gen ) the iTouch can combine that with newer processing software to get much better images. There are so many using the iPhone to take photos to send to friends and so the next step is to allow the iTouch to do the same thing via WiFi. So, dropping the cam last time was to allow Apple more time to refine the cam for the next gen. In 6 months when it is most probable for next one to come out gives them lots of time to do any more refinements needed. I will be getting an iTouch for sure in September. So there's my 3¢ worth. :)

Black Belt

macrumors 65816
Jun 15, 2007
California
I don't think we will end up seeing a camera in the iPod Touch until we see a front facing camera in the iPhone. Apple has made it quite clear that the iPod Touch is the next generation gaming device, therefore a camera is not needed. Without a camera on the iPad, I doubt we will see one on a touch any time soon.

That's ridiculous. It does apps PERIOD and more and more apps are requiring a camera. If you can't think of a use for a camera with a gaming device then you are obviously not a gamer.

na1577

macrumors 6502a
Jan 20, 2008
I think people are starting to forget what Jobs' actual quote was. He didn't say that it didn't need a camera because it was a gaming device. He said that, as a gaming device, the touch should be more affordable and that they will sacrifice the addition of new features to achieve a lower price.

New York Times Interview with Steve Jobs said:
“Originally, we weren’t exactly sure how to market the Touch. Was it an iPhone without the phone? Was it a pocket computer? What happened was, what customers told us was, they started to see it as a game machine,” he said. “We started to market it that way, and it just took off. And now what we really see is it’s the lowest-cost way to the App Store, and that’s the big draw. So what we were focused on is just reducing the price to $199. We don’t need to add new stuff. We need to get the price down where everyone can afford it.”

http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2009/09/09/in-qa-steve-jobs-snipes-at-amazon-and-praises-ice-cream/

Spy4567

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2010
Pretty soon

buy it... most probably its not coming until september, which is the usual time they update the whole ipod line

Well dude, it says buy only if you need it mid product cycle...
I link it will come out in early may because apple is having a meetiing to decide if they are coming out with it soon, or in september.:)

rohan5013

macrumors newbie
Mar 31, 2010
Isn't it amazing tht the competition has NOTHING to compete with the ipod touch?even though this upgrade wasn't substantial it's still way ahead of the competition..and i recommend buying the current one if u dont hv an ipod touch currently..its awesome..coz apple isn't the type of company to disrupt well established product cycles.The new one will release ONLY in september..don't listen to the rumours.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.