PDA

View Full Version : Solution to excessive fan noise on Power Mac G5?

atheistpally
Mar 11, 2010, 07:27 PM
ok, so i'm not sure if this is just a coincidence or not just yet, but after uninstalling LCC (logitech control center), my fans have been acting NORMAL! for HOURS so far! :eek:

constant, loud fan noise is an issue i have been having for a very long time, and apparently so have many other G5 owners. during my search for a solution, i came across several webpages full of posts from users in distress over the same problem i was having.

apple tried replacing the logic board - nothing.
tried pram reset - nothing.
tried creating a new user account - nothing.

couldn't use smcFanControl because of the PPC chips.

long story short, i gave up on it and just suffered through the annoyance of having fans that were louder than any music, movie or game being played at a normal volume. i can't believe that in all my searching for an answer that i never came across anything that suggested i uninstall my logitech mouse drivers.

so i guess that's why i'm posting this.. for others who may be having the same problem and nothing else has worked, hopefully google can help them find this thread. if you are using logitech drivers for your mouse or keyboard, uninstall them! i switched to SteerMouse about six hours ago and haven't been disturbed by my fans since then. hopefully this is the real deal! i'll post an update if the problem comes back.

atheistpally
Mar 11, 2010, 10:22 PM
sorry, false alarm.

looks like it was just a coincidence.

:(...

300D
Mar 12, 2010, 06:45 AM
Knowing what G5 you have would be a huge help to us. A G5 should have quiet fans unless the CPU(s) are hot or there is a high electrical demand to the expansion slots (multiple video cards, raid card, etc).

Get iStat pro and check your fan speeds, they should be about the same as this:

Transporteur
Mar 12, 2010, 06:52 AM
So are the fans just running faster than normal, or are the fans generally loud?

If you simply got loud fans (even at lowest speeds) you could swap them for more silent ones, which is what I did with my late 2005 G5.

rickvanr
Mar 12, 2010, 07:40 AM
Which graphics card do you have? I had the 6800 Ultra in my water cooled G5 and the whole thing always sounded like a diesel engine.

It quieted down a bit after I did a PRAM reset, and SMU reset but eventually it got back to its trusty industrial wind tunnel noise levels.

Mine could have been slowly leaking coolant though, I don't know if that happened over time, or just suddenly. If it was a slow process, that could explain the fans going faster trying to compensate.

atheistpally
Apr 10, 2010, 03:37 PM
sorry i never mentioned the specific model. it's a 2.0ghz that i bought in May of 2005. i think the liquid cooled systems had just come out at that time but i didn't go that route.

Model Name: Power Mac G5
Model Identifier: PowerMac7,3
Processor Name: PowerPC G5 (2.2)
Processor Speed: 2 GHz
Number Of CPUs: 2
L2 Cache (per CPU): 512 KB
Memory: 3 GB (originally had 1gb)
Bus Speed: 1 GHz

graphics: ATI Radeon 9600 XT

i came back to this thread to say that the problem in fact HAS improved significantly ever since i uninstalled LCC, although i still have the occasional sudden burst of loud fan noise for no apparent reason, which can last for several minutes at a time or longer and sounds similar to a kernel panic. i haven't done any cpu intensive work on this computer for a long time now, since my school has new imacs, so it really bothers me that i have to suffer through this noise sometimes when all i'm doing is listening to music, watching a movie, or browsing the web.

to 300D, i do in fact have the iStat pro widget, so i will try to remember to post my fan speeds the next time i catch them being obnoxiously loud.

for now though, here is the fan reading while it's quiet (only safari is open):

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/owen25/quiet_fans.jpg

only the CPU B intake and CPU B exhaust readings are fluctuating. they are going up to around 1400-1700rmp with a soft hum. at the 300-400 range (the lowest i saw) it's very quiet. all the other fan readings are staying exactly the same as they are in the pic.

edit: just woke my computer up from sleep mode and the noise started instantly

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b120/owen25/loud.jpg

still nothing but safari running. looks like CPU B speeds went up a couple hundred more rpm than the max they were at before, but the noise coming from my computer is exponentially louder, like a kernel panic.

only other difference is that the drive bay fan went up to 1048 from 1000 and some temperature changes have occurred -- however, the CPU A temperature went from 1 degree celsius to 41 degrees while every other temperature went down (which seems normal since my computer was in sleep mode for a while)

7hunderbird
Jun 11, 2013, 02:20 PM
So are the fans just running faster than normal, or are the fans generally loud?

If you simply got loud fans (even at lowest speeds) you could swap them for more silent ones, which is what I did with my late 2005 G5.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlMwc1c0HRQ

Transporteur, what fans did you get and where?

MisterKeeks
Jun 11, 2013, 03:38 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wlMwc1c0HRQ

Transporteur, what fans did you get and where?

This thread is 3 years old and Transporteur hasn't logged on to MR for 1.5 years.