Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Now that MI-SE and MI-SE are both heading to Mac (and I hope MI3 will make it as well), I've come across some information that's really hard to swallow.

Supposedly, MI-SE is only available through Game Agent, Aspyr's online store. So what's the problem, then ?
Nothing, if you live in the US. Apparently, if you live outside the US (I live in Europe, Belgium to be exact), you won't be able to buy the game.

Can someone confirm this ? I just bought Tales of Monkey Island as part of a Macheist software bundle, and the idea of being able to play the earlier episodes again brought a (big) smile to my face. Please don't make it go away...

harveypooka

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2004
Now that MI-SE and MI-SE are both heading to Mac (and I hope MI3 will make it as well), I've come across some information that's really hard to swallow.

Supposedly, MI-SE is only available through Game Agent, Aspyr's online store. So what's the problem, then ?
Nothing, if you live in the US. Apparently, if you live outside the US (I live in Europe, Belgium to be exact), you won't be able to buy the game.

Can someone confirm this ? I just bought Tales of Monkey Island as part of a Macheist software bundle, and the idea of being able to play the earlier episodes again brought a (big) smile to my face. Please don't make it go away...

You can buy it here: http://www.telltalegames.com/macgames in dollars.

I can't see anything anywhere that says US only. But that doesn't mean it's worldwide.

GameAgent has been US only for a long while.

Dr. McKay

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 20, 2010
Belgium, Europe
Use a fake US adress. I've bought all the Call of Duty parts and Star Wars that way.

I don't want to sound like a pushover but I'm not to keen on using a fake address. Come to think of it, as the games are simply available for download, it's really stupid to refuse non-US customers, as it will most certainly hurt sales. They're losing a lot of potential income that way.

CylonGlitch

macrumors 68030
Jul 7, 2009
Nashville
I don't want to sound like a pushover but I'm not to keen on using a fake address. Come to think of it, as the games are simply available for download, it's really stupid to refuse non-US customers, as it will most certainly hurt sales. They're losing a lot of potential income that way.

It has to do with distribution to other countries; many have very strict restrictions on games. Sometimes developers just can't be bothered unless they have the money to develop different region codes.

Germany - No red blood, or Nazi symbolism
China - Typically, no zombies
Australia - No blood, but also very strict on overall content
etc...

Thus it is often easiest to just say, "US Customers only" and if your provide a fake addresss, they don't really care, they covered their butts.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.