Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

firewire2001

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Apr 2, 2002
Hong Kong
Hey, I have a Titanium PowerBook 400MHZ with 384 MB RAM.

Realistically, would most of you guys recommend upgrading my RAM in terms of spped increases etcetera.

Programs which I usually run concurrently include Xcode (also gcc cpp, etc), Safari, Microsoft Word, and iTunes. I'd like to see an increase in speed when compiling, when using update_prebinding, in startup times, and when switiching between applications.

Will I see this when upgrading to 512 MB RAM? To an even greater extent when upgrading to 1 GB RAM? Or are executables such as update_prebinding simply reliant upon processor speed?

Thanks, Cheers!

wordmunger

macrumors 603
Sep 3, 2003
North Carolina
I have a Ti400, and I saw a massive performance increase when I upgraded from 256 to 640. I can't speak to your specific situation, but I suspect just going up to 512 won't make much of a diff. Sounds like you have a 256 and a 128 chip. Why not ditch the 128 and add a 512 to go to 768?

New Guy

macrumors member
Apr 15, 2002
Connecticut
My first upgrade to my TiBook was to ditch the 256 MB of RAM it came with and add 1 GB. RAM was so cheap at the time it really was a no brainer. Since, I have replaced the 30 GB HD with an 80 GB drive and replaced the DVD/CD-R drive with a DVD-R/CD-R drive.

Now if I could only add and internal Airport Extreme . . .

Definately get more RAM. It is the quickest, easiest, and cheapest way to make you computer feel and perform faster.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.