PDA

View Full Version : Anyone want to help me with a Marathon Mod?

Durandal7
Aug 4, 2002, 12:51 AM
I've been working on a Marathon mod for about a year now, but it is a daunting task. I've got many aspects of the game covered but there are some I need help with. I need people willing to make Terminal Art, Chapter Screens and Assorted graphics. If you happen to be good at Marathon Map making I would consider using some of your maps in the final product.

job
Aug 4, 2002, 02:41 AM
I'd love to help, even though I'm still a relative n00b at mapping, but I can help with textures, testing, and assorted others.

Draft
Aug 4, 2002, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by hitman
I'd love to help, even though I'm still a relative n00b at mapping, but I can help with textures, testing, and assorted others.

You map? Have you made anything for TO?

Draft

Durandal7
Aug 4, 2002, 01:34 PM

Good, send me an example of your mapping and I'll let you know. Textures will be very useful, I'm making some but it is a big project. This is going to be one of the really big mods that you hear about or get on MacAddict discs.

I also need beta testers, if you want to do that let me know and I'll add you to the list.

job
Aug 4, 2002, 01:48 PM
Originally posted by Draft

You map? Have you made anything for TO?

Draft

Sadly the map editor for the Unreal engine is PC only. There never was or will be a port.

UnrealEd can only run on a Mac with VPC, and my iMac just can't handle it, otherwise I'd try mapping for TO too.

job
Aug 4, 2002, 01:50 PM
Originally posted by asurace

Good, send me an example of your mapping and I'll let you know. Textures will be very useful, I'm making some but it is a big project. This is going to be one of the really big mods that you hear about or get on MacAddict discs.

I also need beta testers, if you want to do that let me know and I'll add you to the list.

My "maps" are not that good. :)

ATM I am experimenting with Forge; it has been almost 6 years since I made a decent map. I'll try mapping something this week and I'll send you the results.

I can make textures; just tell me what file format you need and I'll start working on it.

I'm definately up for beta testing as well. I have several different Macs, so I can test it under different conditions. Will it be Mac OS X only?

Durandal7
Aug 4, 2002, 01:57 PM

My "maps" are not that good. :)

ATM I am experimenting with Forge; it has been almost 6 years since I made a decent map. I'll try mapping something this week and I'll send you the results.

I can make textures; just tell me what file format you need and I'll start working on it.

I'm definately up for beta testing as well. I have several different Macs, so I can test it under different conditions. Will it be Mac OS X only?
Gotcha, I might go to the Bungie.org community to look for mapmakers.

I need textures in .jpg format and size 256x256. Before you really start, send me a few very different examples of your work, I may want you to concentrate on one style for a later part of the game. PM me for details, If I told you what they are for here I might give away parts of the game.

Durandal7
Aug 4, 2002, 05:28 PM
Orange-gray metal and stone and such, the levels will look along these lines.

job
Aug 4, 2002, 05:48 PM

Alright, I'm on it.

MacAztec
Aug 4, 2002, 06:26 PM
Where can i get that marathon type game for Mac OS X?

Durandal7
Aug 4, 2002, 07:24 PM
Originally posted by MacAztec
Where can i get that marathon type game for Mac OS X?

http://source.bungie.org you need the original data files for MI, or you can convert the M2 data files to MI format.

job
Aug 5, 2002, 12:44 AM
asurace : I'm still having problems with my forums, so for right now I'm going to post what I have so far in this thread.

Ok here goes :

I tried to make the attached textures look as similar as the colors you provided in the screenshots. I'm not sure if they are what you had in mind, but enjoy.

job
Aug 5, 2002, 12:45 AM
I edited the shadow areas in the preivious texture.

job
Aug 5, 2002, 12:46 AM
A simple wall/sand texture...

job
Aug 5, 2002, 01:08 AM
I'm not sure if this is what you were looking for. I'll try to create some more detailed textures later in the week. Right now I'm just flat out exhausted from last week (working, driver's ed, lifting weights.)

I'll talk to you guys on Wednesday.

Durandal7
Aug 5, 2002, 01:25 AM
Those are exactly what I'm looking for, I'll compile a test map to show them off as well as some of the more interesting aspects of scenario. I'll post a screenshot shortly.

Durandal7
Aug 5, 2002, 01:50 AM

MacAztec
Aug 5, 2002, 01:58 AM
Whats your [MR] Starcraft name? Mine is Aztek[MR] and im on alot. But whats yours?

I though it was Asurace[MR]

job
Aug 5, 2002, 02:01 AM
Wow, that simple sand/wall texture turned out pretty good.

I'll be working on some more textures this week, but I probably won't be able to post them until Wednesday.

Durandal7
Aug 5, 2002, 02:04 AM
My starcraft name is asurace[MR] , I haven't been able to get on B.net much lately.
There's no rush for textures hitman, right now I am trying to those 3D S'pht Kr to look better.

MacMaster
Aug 5, 2002, 02:08 AM
Those pics are from StarTrek DS9 aren't they...:D :p :cool:
I remember that episode!

Durandal7
Aug 5, 2002, 02:10 AM
Originally posted by MacMaster

Those pics are from StarTrek DS9 aren't they...:D :p :cool:
I remember that episode!
Yep, just a way of showing hitman the feel of some of the levels.

job
Aug 5, 2002, 02:15 AM

There's no rush for textures hitman, right now I am trying to those 3D S'pht Kr to look better.

Yeah, but I've got nothing else to do right now so... ;)

btw will we need sky textures?

Durandal7
Aug 5, 2002, 02:16 AM

Yeah, but I've got nothing else to do right now so... ;)

btw will we need sky textures?
Sky textures are one of those details that I'm not sure about. We'll find out later in development.

job
Aug 5, 2002, 02:51 PM
Some more textures :

job
Aug 5, 2002, 02:51 PM

Durandal7
Aug 5, 2002, 04:54 PM
I like that last one, but can you move the light band to the center of the image so it tiles better?

Durandal7
Aug 5, 2002, 10:17 PM
Here's some info on some of the nice features of . This is a completley different animal from Marathon Infinity.

•Based on the Aleph One engine
•Textures are twice the resolution of Marathon Infinity
•All sprites will be replaced with 3D models
•A completely original storyline
•Never before possible in-game events
•A direct continution of the Marathon Infinity storyline
•In addition to the 30+ level main scenario Shattered Alliance, also included are 2 smaller scenarios that take place before Shattered Alliance.

job
Aug 5, 2002, 11:54 PM

•Based on the Aleph One engine
•Textures are twice the resolution of Marathon Infinity
•All sprites will be replaced with 3D models
•A completely original storyline
•A direct continution of the Marathon Infinity storyline

Sounds excellent. Maybe we can even get it on the cover CD of some retail magazines. :)

Durandal7
Aug 6, 2002, 12:21 AM
Macaddict might be willing to go with it when we're finished.

OK, here's a continuation of my above hype.

Shattered Alliance: The main scenario, this one continues where Infinity left off. You're the same guy as in the first 3.

Siege/Rendezvous: Mini-scenarios that take place in the universe. These are here for the vidmasters, they will be extremely diffucult and for those looking for a major challenge after Shattered Alliance.

mischief
Aug 6, 2002, 01:33 PM
Asurace:

Is Marathon's source code "public domain" at this point? As in: If Epic proves to be a fruitless, PC only, 1st born-for-license-fees .... Would the Marathon engine prove useable for a MMU server-resident game like CS?:confused:

Durandal7
Aug 6, 2002, 02:19 PM
Originally posted by mischief
Asurace:

Is Marathon's source code "public domain" at this point? As in: If Epic proves to be a fruitless, PC only, 1st born-for-license-fees .... Would the Marathon engine prove useable for a MMU server-resident game like CS?:confused:
Marathon is public domain source. The only problem is that in current builds networking and TCP/IP support is not working. It could work for a server-resident game but not for several years until they get networking support working again. At this point it's only viable for solo games like the mod I'm making, it would be unviable for CS unless we hacked the hell out of it.

Durandal7
Aug 6, 2002, 07:45 PM
hitman, I'm going to be gone for a few day so if you make anymore textures send them to me at

job
Aug 7, 2002, 08:36 PM
Hi all. I have been under the weather for the past few days, but I'm back on my feet now.

asurace : We have our own forums now (thank God!). The dev forum is only accessable to Downfall team members (+ password ;) )

asurace, I emailed you the password. :)

We also have a General Mod Discussion forum that is open to everyone.

Go to http://server2.ikonboard.com/thehub/

hitman

Durandal7
Aug 10, 2002, 06:44 PM

asurace, I emailed you the password. :)

We also have a General Mod Discussion forum that is open to everyone.

Maybe you should rename o avoid confusion. I like the forums, they have a nice interface and should be very useful once development gets into full swing.

job
Aug 12, 2002, 12:19 AM
Name changes done.

I will probably be upgrading my forum account by the end of the year, so we will be able to use different templates and the adverts will be gone.

Durandal7
Aug 12, 2002, 02:36 AM
When I get to the beta stage I think I'll post the first real in-depth look at the scenario here on Macrumors.