Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Hi. I developed a Guide to Photo of the Day at the request of other Digital Photo members. It contains rules for posting in POTD and PDF tutorials I did for those who need to learn things like quoting and multi-quoting images. It has been suggested that it become a Sticky, but I don't know how that works.

The post in question is on the first page of March POTD, along with a link to the discussion that generated it. It applies to Digital Photography in general but wasn't intended for the Picture threads like Desktops.

Welcome to Photo of the Day

Dale

angelwatt

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
USA
The easy way is to report your own post (
report.gif
) and ask that it be made into a sticky. A mod has to make that modification.

kainjow

Moderator emeritus
Jun 15, 2000
You should request a thread to be stickied by reporting it or using the contact form. However, I'm not sure if sticking is necessary here, since it applies to specific threads. Having that information in the first post is probably good enough, but that's just my opinion.

Edit: you could also make it a guide and link to it at the top of the Digital Photography forums.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Thanks for the suggestion. I will look at the Guides and see how they work. I like it as the first post in the monthly thread, myself. Then it is easier to point users to "see page one for blah blah blah" But I don't own the thread. If someone else opens the month and I post the Guide after post one, will it be deleted? That happened in the Desktop thread once. It opened without the rules so I did a copy/past from the previous month. It was either deleted or moved to post one under another user name.

Dale

Doctor Q

Administrator
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
If someone else opens the month and I post the Guide after post one, will it be deleted?
I don't see why the post would be deleted.

If you don't start the thread, you could arrange for the thread-starter to paste the guidelines into the first post, or to link from the first post to a post with the guidelines (later in the thread, or even in a previous POTD thread). You and the thread-starter can use PMs for planning this.

Since it's a cooperative project, managing it yourselves seems ideal.

Designer Dale

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 25, 2009
Folding space
Thanks, Doctor Q and others.

Managing it as part of the effort to keep POTD running smoothly is what I would rather do anyway. That's the spirit in which it was created. There are plenty of folks in the thread who would be glad to help.

Dale

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.