Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

byoung2beer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
I currently have 10.3.9 version and was wondering what I should upgrade to and see what some of you guys have laying around I might be able to purchase.. This is my gf's laptop and she basically uses it for pics, music, and surfing the net.. Let me know what I should do and what you guys have laying around.

Thanks

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
I currently have 10.3.9 version and was wondering what I should upgrade to and see what some of you guys have laying around I might be able to purchase.. This is my gf's laptop and she basically uses it for pics, music, and surfing the net.. Let me know what I should do and what you guys have laying around.

Thanks

As you most probably have a G4 iMac/iBook/PowerBook or G4/5 PowerMac, Tiger (Mac OS X 10.4.11) would be the best choice, unless you have one Mac with more than 1.2GHz, than Leopard might be a choice too.

Retail version of Snow Leopard is $29. I'm sure you can afford that.

Will not run on PPC Macs.

byoung2beer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
Correction it's the 10.3.4 version and it's on a IBook G4 laptop 12"..

On another note. I tried plugging my Modem internet cord into the side of the laptop and it still couldn't find the internet.. Is there something I'm doing wrong?? I don't have an Airport card yet but wanted to see if this would work..

Thanks

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Correction it's the 10.3.4 version and it's on a IBook G4 laptop 12"..

On another note. I tried plugging my Modem internet cord into the side of the laptop and it still couldn't find the internet.. Is there something I'm doing wrong?? I don't have an Airport card yet but wanted to see if this would work..

Thanks

Then it would be best to just install Tiger, if you really want to upgrade.

Or if you can get the internet working update via Software Update to the latest version of Panther.

By "modem internet cord", do you mean the modem port or the Ethernet port on the iBook?

ibookports.jpg

Both have different uses, the modem port is for connecting the iBook to the telephone line directly and using the built-in modem to dial up.
The Ethernet port connects to a router or DSL modem to access high speed internet (or a simple network).

You can find many guides on using whatever port you have via Google.

byoung2beer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
Looks like I'm inputting the Ethernet cord into the side of the IBook but can't find the internet..

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
Looks like I'm inputting the Ethernet cord into the side of the IBook but can't find the internet..

What kind of access to the internet do you have?
Where does the other end of the Ethernet cable go to?

Have you found no guides via Google?

Have a look at System Preferences > Network and see if the Ethernet connection is recognized.

Btw, do you know your way with computers and Mac OS X?

So you use the yellow (in the following image only) cable, not the white one?
resnet_cables.jpg

Do the other computers on the same network work?

byoung2beer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
I got it working!! I didn't have the ethernet connnection first in line.. It was under modem connection.. So I completed all the software updates..

No, this is the first Mac Ive ever used as you can tell.. So i'm not familiar with Mac OS X even though it got all the updates. It wouldn't get the updates for Itunes or Mac OPX Tiger for some reason.. Any ideas?? Just trying to get it squared away for the lady.. Any insight or tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks

byoung2beer

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 10, 2010
So I'm trying to download Tiger and it won't let me because my version of Mac OS X 10.3.4 any ideas??

Thanks

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
So I'm trying to download Tiger and it won't let me because my version of Mac OS X 10.3.4 any ideas??

Thanks

If you use the Apple Downloads section though, there is no point in downloading Tiger updates, Tiger as an OS is not even offered there only updates for it.

You can't update from Mac OS X 10.3.x to Mac OS X 10.4.x with a simple download that Apple does not offer.

You can however update your system up to 10.3.9 - http://www.apple.com/support/panther/ .

Nermal

Staff member
Dec 7, 2002
New Zealand
I currently have 10.3.9 version and was wondering what I should upgrade to and see what some of you guys have laying around I might be able to purchase..

Sorry, sales/trades are not permitted in this forum. You may continue to ask technical questions, but you will need to purchase the software on your own.

If you use the Apple Downloads section though, there is no point in downloading Tiger updates, Tiger as an OS is not even offered there only updates for it.

Just to clarify: The Tiger downloads that Apple provides are for existing Tiger users. Going from Panther to Tiger is not a free upgrade, and you'll need to purchase it.

BigTroll

macrumors member
Mar 21, 2010
i personally think panther runs alot better on some of my old G3 machines however firefox 2 is the best browser you can go with so for that reason along with adium not being updated for it, i reluctanly upgraded my machines to tiger

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.