Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

matinjohn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
My son wants to take up photography and I don't want to buy him a too costly camera. I have selected Kodak Easyshare. Any suggestion for better ones within that budget?

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO
How old is he? If he's old enough for you to not be worried about him damaging the camera then I'd go with a low end Nikon L series honestly (~$100). The Easyshare cameras build quality is awful and the sensor is as well.

El Cabong

macrumors 6502a
Dec 1, 2008
Nikon Coolpix cameras have a widespread reputation for their mediocrity, though they are better than Kodaks. If you're going to get a compact, Canon, Sony, and Panasonic make the best. If you're worried about breakage, there are ruggedized cameras available that are resistant to fall and crush damage.

However, if your son really wants to learn photography, an SLR would be a better, though significantly more expensive, choice (unless you get him a used film camera, which would actually be ideal in many ways). I suppose you could start him on a compact and see if he likes it.

Please be more specific about your budget. Kodak Easyshares can be anywhere from 70 to over 300 dollars.

telecomm

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2003
Rome
Another thing to look out for with point-and-shoots is the availability of manual controls.

It's frustrating to learn about the effects of aperture and shutter speed only to discover that your camera offers no control over those settings (or, perhaps more commonly, no easy control over those settings).

Gold89

macrumors 6502
Dec 17, 2008
UK
Another thing to look out for with point-and-shoots is the availability of manual controls.
Just to echo this manual controls are essential if he wants to properly explore the basics of photography.

I don't know about any of the Kodaks but many of the Canon Powershot compacts can do this. Alternatively you could go for a second hand DSLR, although maybe more expensive there is not really a DSLR that would be a bad purchase, dependent on price and condition. Something like a Nikon d40, Olympus e400 or Canon Rebel XT(300D) would be suitable as long as he doesn't need the portability of a compact. :)

DakotaGuy

macrumors 601
Jan 14, 2002
South Dakota, USA
I don't know, but I have always had good luck with my Kodak EasyShares. It really depends on what model you get. The Z and M series are decent cameras. I would stay away from the C series.

The new Kodak M580 looks to be a very nice camera for $199. It has an 8X optical zoom and a decent lens. 14MP probably won't matter unless you want to really enlarge or crop your photos. It appears to be available next month.

http://www.imaging-resource.com/PRODS/M580/M580A.HTM

macbrooke

macrumors regular
Jun 21, 2006
Toronto, Ontario!
I second the advice about getting him a low end DSLR.
I'd recommend the D50 over the D40 howver, and beauty is the price is cheaper resale!
My husband had a Kodak easy share something or other from work.. horrible camera it blew everything out and there was no real way to adjust the settings.. it was a very very basic camera however.

matinjohn

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 12, 2010
Thanks

Thank you all for your guidance. Looks like I have to stay clear of Kodak :D. The D50 looks like a good choice as is coolpix. One thing I am worried about is ruggedness of these camera in the hand of a 12 year old!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.