Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gwynne

macrumors 68000
Mar 11, 2010
While I'm a huge fan of stylus input and may pick up a pogo to play with, the tip of those things is huge. It looks like it would be like trying to sign your name on one of those 90s-era signature pads that the UPS guys carry around. It might be fun for sketching and screwing around, but unless they come up with a tip that's actually shaped like a pen, it looks like a nightmare for trying to *write* with.

Still--it's your twelve bucks, maybe someone will have a better answer about the app.

mrgreen4242

macrumors 601
Feb 10, 2004
While I'm a huge fan of stylus input and may pick up a pogo to play with, the tip of those things is huge. It looks like it would be like trying to sign your name on one of those 90s-era signature pads that the UPS guys carry around. It might be fun for sketching and screwing around, but unless they come up with a tip that's actually shaped like a pen, it looks like a nightmare for trying to *write* with.

Still--it's your twelve bucks, maybe someone will have a better answer about the app.

The size of the stylus tip != the thickness of the line drawn or the accuracy of the pointer on a capacitive touchscreen. Line thickness is a function of software (it'll just put the line in the center of the touch point, regardless how large it is) and overall sensitivity is a function of number of touch sensors on the display and, possibly, the conduciveness of the object touching the screen. If size has any bearing, it COULD be the opposite of what you would think, giving a more accurate location of the center of the touch point the larger the point of the object touching the screen.

All that said, we'll have to wait to see how accurate the screen is when it comes out. The iPhone has tested as one of the best capacitive touch screens in terms of accuracy, the story was here on MR a couple months ago. I would guess that the iPad is similar, but it's impossible to tell. I would also guess that at the very least Palm-Graffiti style handwriting input would work well, and a more natural input might also be possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.