PDA

View Full Version : What accessories are you going to buy?

ThatsMeRight
Mar 13, 2010, 05:23 PM
The title says everything: What accessories are you going to buy?

For me, that would be the following:

- iPad case (http://store.apple.com/go/product/ipad_case)
- Apple Wireless Keyboard (http://store.apple.com/us/go/product/MC184) for both iPad and Mac.
- iPad dock (http://store.apple.com/go/product/ipad_dock)

I will use the iPad case to save my iPad in, to use it up-standing (top picture) and to use it flat-keyboard-like (bottom picture).

I'm going to buy the Apple Wireless Keyboard because 1) I don't have a bluetooth keyboard at all. 2) It's more portable than the iPad dock keyboard, and it's wireless. 3) Because than I will also be able to type in landscape-mode. With the iPad dock keyboard you'll only be able to type in portrait mode.

And I'm going to use the iPad dock just to put it on, and again for typing with the wireless keyboard (in portrait mode). The case I will use for typing in landscape mode.

http://img706.imageshack.us/img706/9765/22333929.png

racer1441
Mar 13, 2010, 05:24 PM
Case ordered day 1.

Figure down the road I'll need the VGA adapter. Maybe the desk stand/keyboard.

melman101
Mar 13, 2010, 05:30 PM
I'm going to buy the Apple Case and most likely the Camera Connection Kit. I thought about the dock but then realized maybe the camera connection is a better use. I'm waiting to reserve the 3G iPad so hopefully it should be out by then.

gwynne
Mar 13, 2010, 05:53 PM
Keyboard, for me, defeats the entire purpose of this device.

I like the look and concept of the case, but I suspect other third-party companies will do it better and cheaper. I definitely want one with a kickstand.

chriszzz
Mar 13, 2010, 06:16 PM
I'll get the case, dock, and camera kit.

I already have a bluetooth keyboard I'll use with it.

FlashHead
Mar 13, 2010, 08:57 PM
Other companies may cheaper, better quality cases - even with a kickstand, but I have yet to see one that will also function as the typing platform. That is the key design element for me. I would jump on a higher quality case that had that feature as well, but I have yet to see one offered.

allsops
Mar 13, 2010, 09:08 PM
I'm thinkin of getting the iPad Keyboard Dock:

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC533LL/A?mco=MTcyMTgxNTk#overview

I just hope it doesn't also have to be plugged into the wall for the keyboard to work.

uberamd
Mar 13, 2010, 09:09 PM
I pre-ordered mine with the case and the dock, those seem like the most useful accessories to me. But the case ships mid April? Yikes, I would prefer them ship at the same time.

http://steve.blogme.us/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/ipadorder.png

jedolley
Mar 13, 2010, 09:12 PM
I'm probably going to get a 3rd party case, but haven't decided which one yet.

Spudracer
Mar 13, 2010, 09:12 PM
I ordered the 64GB WiFi version yesterday along with the case and dock. I figured the case is good protection outside the house and the dock will make it a picture frame or a stand for recipes in the kitchen.

AceFernalld
Mar 13, 2010, 09:16 PM
I'm going to get the Case and Dock when I pick my 64GB WiFi up on launch day, and I already have a Bluetooth Keyboard that came with my 2008 iMac that I'll be using with it. :D

The Case because I need something to protect it when not in use, and I'll be using it to prop it up to type or watch video.

The Dock for syncing, charging, hooking up to speakers and whatnot.

The wait is kiiillliinngg meeee!!! :mad:

~Austin:apple:

mac jones
Mar 13, 2010, 09:18 PM
I bought the case.

It say's middle of April

was it always middle of April with the case?

uberamd
Mar 13, 2010, 09:18 PM
I'm going to get the Case and Dock when I pick my 64GB WiFi up on launch day.

~Austin:apple:

With the cases be available launch day? They aren't shipping until later so if they are available in store on launch day I will be surprised.

saving107
Mar 13, 2010, 09:21 PM
Case, Dock.

Maybe not at launch, but eventually.

AceFernalld
Mar 13, 2010, 09:56 PM
With the cases be available launch day? They aren't shipping until later so if they are available in store on launch day I will be surprised.

Well I'd hope they have a different inventory of accessories that they're going to send out to stores! :eek:
They better have all of the accessories in stores on launch day, that'd be totally screwing offline buyers over if not... Doesn't sound very Apple-y to me to not have them available..

sonictonic
Mar 13, 2010, 10:44 PM
I want the Apple case but since they apparently did not make enough to ship at the same time as the iPad, I'm on the lookout for a 3rd party case that looks as nice, is as functional, and slim. Any tips?

capitanbuzo
Mar 13, 2010, 10:51 PM
I ordered between 5:33-5AM on Friday and I am getting a ship by April 3rd date for the iPad case. The keyboard dock, though, does not ship til April 15 for delivery on April 20th.

jedolley
Mar 13, 2010, 10:56 PM
I want the Apple case but since they apparently did not make enough to ship at the same time as the iPad, I'm on the lookout for a 3rd party case that looks as nice, is as functional, and slim. Any tips?

Have you taken a look at the accessories thread?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=860208

Several good looking products, and I bet there will be even more in the coming weeks.

sonictonic
Mar 13, 2010, 11:00 PM
D'oh! Thanks. :)

Have you taken a look at the accessories thread?

http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=860208

Several good looking products, and I bet there will be even more in the coming weeks.

ravenvii
Mar 13, 2010, 11:04 PM
I'll only buy the case. Same with my iPhone - just a case. When connected to the computer, it's just lying on the desk. No big deal.

Only difference is that in this case the case (ha) is much spiffier.

GadgetX
Mar 13, 2010, 11:22 PM
I'm going to go with a third-party sleeve. Other than that I'm going to wait awhile and see what other manufactures come out with as far as docks and keyboards, should be cheaper than apple.

sjsharks13
Mar 13, 2010, 11:34 PM
I bought the case.

It say's middle of April

was it always middle of April with the case?

dont think so, I ordered my ipad/case at 6AM and it days ship by the 3rd. Sounds like they didnt expect so many pre-orders on the case.

flynz4
Mar 14, 2010, 03:00 AM
My order is timestamped 5:53 AM

IPAD WI-FI 64GB-USA
Ships: DELIVERS ON 4/3

IPAD CASE-ZML
Ships: BY APRIL 3RD

IPAD DOCK-ZML

IPAD 10W USB POWER ADAPTER-USA
Ships: Late April

gr8tfly
Mar 14, 2010, 03:07 AM
Ordered a 32GB WiFi about 0535 PST.

Accessories: case & dock, both ship by 4/3

animatedude
Mar 14, 2010, 03:36 AM
how to carry the wireless keyboard now? there's no iPad bag for that?

Matthew9559
Mar 14, 2010, 03:49 AM
Most likely just iPad case. Maybe MicroSD card reader too.

MacBookProJoe
Mar 14, 2010, 07:00 PM
Case and the dock.

CristobalHuet
Mar 14, 2010, 07:03 PM
My order is timestamped 5:53 AM

IPAD WI-FI 64GB-USA
Ships: DELIVERS ON 4/3

IPAD CASE-ZML

IPAD DOCK-ZML

IPAD 10W USB POWER ADAPTER-USA
Ships: Late April

Dude, the iPad COMES with a power adapter.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Or you just want an extra one?

PsyD4Me
Mar 14, 2010, 07:06 PM
Flux Capacitor, they say it'll be available in two weeks

Sleazy E
Mar 14, 2010, 07:21 PM
just buying the case.

TraceyS/FL
Mar 14, 2010, 07:31 PM
Same here - ordered in the first 10 minutes and the case says "ships by April 3".

I opted to NOT get a case for mine though - i want to see how the kids goes, and since i ordered the 3g version for me, it's not like i need 2 cases on April 3 anyway. i'm excited though - we had a date change for an event yesterday and i'll have the perfect chance to find out if it's going to work for me in my volunteer position before mine ships.

Now if i can just dig up more info on printing. Hmmm, i guess i should buy a thumb drive and put my we print stuff on it to use on someone's laptop where i will be huh?

qtx43
Mar 14, 2010, 07:46 PM
Just a case. If I wanted a keyboard, I'd get a laptop.

flynz4
Mar 15, 2010, 04:02 AM
Dude, the iPad COMES with a power adapter.

http://www.apple.com/ipad/specs/

Or you just want an extra one?

I suspect that I will have more than one extra power adapter. Probably:

1) Dock & power adapter permanently set up to use as a photo display in the family room
2) Power adapter to use next to my bed
3) Power adapter to keep in my laptop case - frequent (~50%) traveler
4) Dock attached to my 27" i7 iMac to sync with new content.

/Jim

ThatsMeRight
Mar 16, 2010, 09:05 AM
I suspect that I will have more than one extra power adapter. Probably:

1) Dock & power adapter permanently set up to use as a photo display in the family room
2) Power adapter to use next to my bed
3) Power adapter to keep in my laptop case - frequent (~50%) traveler
4) Dock attached to my 27" i7 iMac to sync with new content.

/Jim
And you can't take your power adapter to put it in your laptop case or with your bed?

4) There's also a USB thingy directly from iPad to Computer.

flynz4
Mar 17, 2010, 02:47 AM
And you can't take your power adapter to put it in your laptop case or with your bed?

4) There's also a USB thingy directly from iPad to Computer.

I travel a lot. One thing a frequent traveller realizes is that if you do not keep an adapter in your bag... you will occasionally forget it behind.

I know that you can plug it into a computer. In fact for connection to my iMac... I will only use a dock and cable... with no power adapter. Since this is the only computer that I plan to sync from... this will be the only place where I attach it via USB to a computer. I would prefer to plug it directly into the wall at other locations. Plus, computers only provide 2.5W where the wall plugs provide 10W. That will affect charging time.

When we are not using the iPad during the day... we are likely to use it as a digital picture frame. Hence... that takes a dock, cable, charger to operate.

I generally read before going to bed... often until I am too tired to move. It makes sense to plug it in next to the bed before I go to sleep.

/Jim

macduke
Mar 17, 2010, 04:22 AM
- VGA Connector
- Will look at the case, perhaps buy if available at the store on launch day
- If I don't get the case, then the dock. Otherwise I'll probably just use the case as a stand and plug in the power cord.
- Some sort of small bag to carry it and papers to class in
- Camera connection kit (just found out it supports RAW!?!? Holy crap can you say Lightroom for iPad? IPS display FTW. Seriously wishing I had ordered the 64gb version now instead of the 32gb so I could dump my 16gb cards onto it. Though I barely ever fill BOTH of them even on a trip.

ttate90303
Mar 17, 2010, 09:31 AM
how to carry the wireless keyboard now? there's no iPad bag for that?

But Waterfield will be happy to sell you a keyboard carrying case (http://www.sfbags.com/products/keyboardcases/keyboard.htm).

mullman
Mar 17, 2010, 09:49 AM
Initial order was:

- 64GB WiFI
- Dock (so the unit can stand up)

I have a few Apple BT keyboards around, so I have that covered.

Next items I am pondering:

- Camera connection kit, but I am hoping Eye-Fi makes an app for the iPad to auto-download from the camera like I do with my Macs.
- Definitely need a travel case, thinking about the Booq.
- Possibly another dock for the office.

InvalidBassist
Mar 17, 2010, 10:51 AM
I read a hands-on post after the iPad event keynote and the poster said the case wasn't the best... but I ordered one anyway; it looks spiffy and the functionality seems.. functional!

maroontigre
Mar 17, 2010, 12:54 PM
No case: love the 3rd party options that are emerging

Regular dock: think the keyboard thing looks weird and typing kind of defeats the purpose for me. I plan to use as a "2nd screen" while at the office.

VGA out: do a ton of presentations and can't wait to use this vs lugging around my MBA or MBP

Component out: when available. Perfect for hotels that charge ridiculous prices for movies on demand.

Scarpad
Mar 17, 2010, 01:10 PM
New Case options from waterfield designs

http://sfbags.com/products/ipad-cases/ipad-cases.php

JonboyDC
Mar 18, 2010, 03:45 PM
Keyboard, for me, defeats the entire purpose of this device.

I like the look and concept of the case, but I suspect other third-party companies will do it better and cheaper. I definitely want one with a kickstand.
When I was in law school, the keyboard/iPad combo would have been fantastic to have in class. As it is, I could imagine getting a keyboard if the Pages app is useful enough that I can leave my big laptop behind on short business trips. If I can do real work on documents using Pages and the keyboard, I would definitely go for it.

I'll get a case, but I need to see some others to decide which one. But I agree, the case needs to be something that allows it to stand in landscape mode for watching video.

robotkiller
Mar 18, 2010, 04:09 PM
camera connection kit and VGA connector

[DL]
Mar 18, 2010, 04:32 PM
The case. Nothing else.

CanonicalKoi
Mar 18, 2010, 04:41 PM
Case, dock and wireless keyboard from Apple--keyboard's on it's way. Shadow vertical messenger bag from Booq and that should do me for some time to come. I hope.