PDA

View Full Version : RAM increase from 1 to 1.5 GB...is it worth it?

PieMac
Sep 6, 2004, 01:26 PM
Hi all. I have an opportunity to buy a new 1 GB chip of Samsung RAM for my new 1.5 Mhz 17" PowerBook for a total of $259.00. I currently have a total of 1 GB memory in it and I am wondering if it will really make that big a difference to bump it to 1.5 GB.

I always subscribe to the theory that more RAM is better, but having just spent a chunk on the powerbook itself, peripherals (wireless keyboard and mouse), plus a 512 chip upgrade...I'm wondering if it's really worth it. I really don't need to be plunking down any more money at the moment...but I am thinking that the price is exceptional...especially for Samsung memory...and therefore, I am torn over what to do.

I really don't do any major processor intensive activity as a rule...safari with usually several tabs open, mail is always open, as well as iCal. I sometimes runs iTunes in the background. I use iPhoto and sometimes Photoshop CS and occasionally iMovie...that's about as intensive as it gets.

Any input would be appreciated!

Westside guy
Sep 6, 2004, 01:43 PM
I saw a small performance boost going from 512MB to 1GB, but only under limited conditions where you would expect to need a lot of RAM. I would be surprised if adding another 512MB to your gig of RAM would make any difference.

BornAgainMac
Sep 6, 2004, 02:09 PM
Where did you get that price? The cheapest I can find for that brand is over $400.

PieMac
Sep 6, 2004, 02:35 PM
Where did you get that price? The cheapest I can find for that brand is over $400.

Check out this guy's Ebay store (http://stores.ebay.com/McMalo_W0QQsspagenameZl2QQtZkm). Reasonable prices, reliable. I purchased my Samsung 512 MB chip from him a couple of weeks ago...so far, so good.

Blue Velvet
Sep 6, 2004, 02:35 PM
...you can never have enough RAM. Especially using Photoshop.

If you've got a good price, then go for it.

I saw a definite improvement in my dual 1.4 G4 when going from 1gb to 1.5 (which is where things are at the mo)

If you don't, you'll prob. always wonder what would have happened if you did. And you'll prob. end up doing it in the future anyway... :)

FredAkbar
Sep 6, 2004, 02:37 PM
[edit: posted while Blue Velvet was posting...if Blue Velvet ends up being right then I stand corrected here]

I agree, unless you do really intensive stuff (which you don't), it's not worth hundreds of dollars to go from 1 GB to 1.5 GB. Not that I'd know from experience but I'm pretty sure about that.

PieMac
Sep 7, 2004, 10:43 AM
Just wanted to say thanks to everyone for the input. I've decided to stay with the 1 GB. It's just such a good deal on Samsung memory that I found myself being swayed but I really don't need to be spending the money right now...especially if it's something that I don't really need and would be overkill. Hopefully when and if I do need more RAM down the road, the prices will either go down across the board, or I'll be able for track down another good deal.