Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
I have restored, set up as new twice and confirmed my GPS chip is dead. I have a 3GS and am afraid of getting a 3.1.3 3GS when I get it replaced at Apple.

Has anybody here recently replaced a 16GB 3GS? If so what firmware did you get for the replaced unit? I know I will more then likely get one with the new iBoot (Tethered Jailbreak) but I don't mind.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
Damn, bad luck.
With a refurb you never know but chances are good still for 3.1.2 models.

Yeah I know :(. Now I have a tough choice because I would hate not
being able to jailbreak the 3GS. Anyway to see the phone I would be getting before actually getting it?

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
If you get friendly with the Apple employee and tell him you would like to receive a replacement with 3.1.2 they might be able to accomodate you.
Good luck.

Yeah that's about the only thing I can do. Or I can suck it up and not have GPS which would suck on greater levels :(

ifruitfly

macrumors member
Nov 11, 2009
NY
but if you ask for a 3.1.2 wouldn't you basically be advertising that your current phone is JBed? are there any other good reason to justify asking for a 3.1.2?
that said, i likewise suspect your odds are good for getting a 3.1.2. depending on where you live, you might try an apple store that has relatively low traffic/turnover to increase your odds... good luck

aristobrat

macrumors G5
Oct 14, 2005
Yeah that's about the only thing I can do.
Don't take it personally if there's not much the employees can do. Short of opening the sealed boxes the replacements come in and booting 'em up, there's nothing on the outside of the box indicating to the employee what firmware the depot put on it.

You will have a better chance of randomly getting one at a slower moving store, but unlike new units, most Apple stores don't sit on a ton of replacements in the back of house. They turn over fairly quickly.

The General

macrumors 601
Jul 7, 2006
I have restored, set up as new twice and confirmed my GPS chip is dead. I have a 3GS and am afraid of getting a 3.1.3 3GS when I get it replaced at Apple.

Has anybody here recently replaced a 16GB 3GS? If so what firmware did you get for the replaced unit? I know I will more then likely get one with the new iBoot (Tethered Jailbreak) but I don't mind.

i got a replacement iphone 3gs today and they gave me one with 3.1.3 and the old bootrom. i still cant jailbreak, but at least i have the old bootrom. :)

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
i got a replacement iphone 3gs today and they gave me one with 3.1.3 and the old bootrom. i still cant jailbreak, but at least i have the old bootrom. :)

Damn that's the worst news yet :(... I'm seriously thinking about giving up on the GPS then :(:(:(

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut

I got a replacement about 2 weeks ago. 3.1.3 with old bootrom.

from what i've been reading around the web i don't think your chances are too good with getting a 3.1.2 refurb anymore. It's been out for well over a month now.

Vandam500

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 29, 2008
I got a replacement about 2 weeks ago. 3.1.3 with old bootrom.

from what i've been reading around the web i don't think your chances are too good with getting a 3.1.2 refurb anymore. It's been out for well over a month now.

Yep that's what I've been seeing at most places:(

Thanks for your input though

terraphantm

macrumors 68040
Jun 27, 2009
Pennsylvania
I got a 3.1.2 with new bootrom... so it is jailbreakable, but it is tethered. If an exploit for this bootrom doesn't come out eventually, I might try to take a chance and exchange it again (I'm sure I can find an issue if I try hard enough). I will wait until there's a jailbreak for a current software version though.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.