PDA

View Full Version : The return of Opus

Sayhey
Sep 6, 2004, 02:11 PM
In case anyone missed it, the political event of the season just took place.

Opus (http://www.berkeleybreathed.com/pages/opus_returns.asp)

My favorite comic strip - if you hadn't guessed.

Thomas Veil
Sep 6, 2004, 02:41 PM
Actually, Opus has been back for a few months now. The few people I've discussed it with, though, have found it rather disappointing. The strip you linked to is one of the few that do seem to recapture that old "Bloom County" magic.

I just re-read some of my "Bloom County" books the other day, and I think I know what the problem is: "Bloom County" seems to work much better in four-panel form than it does in an expanded Sunday edition. The four-panel strips are usually witty and punchy. I think Breathed has a harder time working in anything longer than that.

IJ Reilly
Sep 6, 2004, 02:47 PM
The first few weeks of Sunday strips were also in a very different style -- visually very dark and murky. They might have looked great in the original artwork, but really suffered in newsprint.

mactastic
Sep 6, 2004, 07:58 PM
Ah, I've long loved Opus and crew... glad to see they're back myself.

zimv20
Sep 6, 2004, 09:19 PM
hmmm... i seem to remember his politics being at least a tad more subtle. still, the "door's stuck" gag is an instant classic.

wordmunger
Sep 6, 2004, 09:53 PM
The first month or two of "Opus" was definitely sub-par. They've been improving steadily. Let's hope the improvement continues.