Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
I've just got my ATV working after some issues, I've formatted it and set it up, however its syncing really slowly.
I've got a DVD/TV SHOW I just imported w/ handbrake on its universal setting, its ~1.8GB (~1h10m).

I've set the ATV to custom sync, and the only item I am syncing is that one movie/TV show, it looks like it's going to take over an hour just to get that one movie sync'd!
(we have the latest AEBS, which the ATV is connected to)

That doesn't seem normal to me? Any idea what might be wrong?

iTattoo

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2007
Toronto
I've just got my ATV working after some issues, I've formatted it and set it up, however its syncing really slowly.
I've got a DVD/TV SHOW I just imported w/ handbrake on its universal setting, its ~1.8GB (~1h10m).

I've set the ATV to custom sync, and the only item I am syncing is that one movie/TV show, it looks like it's going to take over an hour just to get that one movie sync'd!
(we have the latest AEBS, which the ATV is connected to)

That doesn't seem normal to me? Any idea what might be wrong?

Interesting - I have two ATVs and one syncs quickly and the other slowly. Also have a AEBS. I sync both of them wirelessly, and one wouldn't sync at all. I moved the AEBS so that it was 8 feet line-of site from the ATV and it took 10 hours to sync 30GB of data. The other one will sync a movie in 10 minutes or less, and it's on a different floor of the house.

I'm very interested to hear more about this. Both are relatively new, (December 09 & February 10), and both have the most current firmware.

MythicFrost

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 11, 2009
Australia
It was going fast, and just fine the last few days. Then we installed ATV, and noticed (whether it was relevant or not I don't know) that it would give an error when syncing. I formatted, fiddled, and eventually got it working. But now it's really slow - unbearably slow. It took about an hour to transfer a one hour movie, we've got like 90 hours of movies, and probably 80 hours of TV shows that are going to be imported soon. That'll take way too long!

smoked

macrumors regular
Feb 25, 2009
Remember if you fiddle with it at all, it will stop syncing and start over again with whatever item it was trying to sync. (Watching a show, etc.) I noticed it too after rebuilding my library and reconnecting; it was so slow (because kids kept watching stuff) that it would have taken weeks to fully sync. So I changed it to sync the most recently watched content (and a few things I know they watch routinely) and it's happy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.