Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

niter

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Sep 9, 2003
My fiance is finally going to switch to Apple! He wants a stable laptop for work as he is graduating in May. Due to price and size, he is looking primarily at either the iBook or the Powerbook 12". I have an iBook 12" and I have often encouraged buyers to opt for the 12" iBook. However, our univerisity offers a great bundle on the Powerbook 12", so I am really not sure which to suggest he gets. The iBook would surely do all he needs, but the Powerbook would be well used too, as he likes speed.

Here are his options:

He can get a Powerbook 12" combo drive for $1550 which has been upgraded to include 3 years Apple Care and 512 MB RAM. I calculated the value of the same computer with these two upgrades on the regular Apple education page to be $1928.

The iBook bundle is not as good at our school and does not include bluetooth, so he would configure that on Apple's webpage. We set on up for him that he liked for about $1200.

Then benifits of getting the iBook is he can then take part in the iPod deal and the computer is cheaper. His price max was $1200, and the iBook fits that and meets his need. However, for once, I tend to lean towards pushing him to get the Powerbook. The extra $300 gives him a faster computer, more RAM, a bigger harddrive, dual display, etc.

I know just about all the iBook benifits (battery life, form factor, price, etc.), but I was wondering if there were any other takes on this well ridden 12" vs 12" issue. Also, is the iPod worth giving up? He really was not planning on getting the iPod anyways, but it is an awesome deal and he wanted to take advantage of it. He also likes the look of the Powerbook, which makes me want him to get that also (I figure he might as well be happy with the computer).

Any opinions?

Aaon

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2004
I think I would encourage the Powerbook. Also, f he doesn't want the ipod anyway, buy it with the cram and jam deal, then sell the ipod for $250-$300. Between that and the $200 back that you get from Cram and Jam, you'll make up most of the extra cost of the powerbook!

Aaron

echeck

macrumors 68000
Apr 20, 2004
Boise, Idaho
Do local university bookstores offer the Cram and Jam deal? Or is this only available when you order through Apple directly?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.