PDA

View Full Version : Older Laptop graphics upgrade...

blackfox
Sep 6, 2004, 04:36 PM
Hey, not sure if this is news or of interest to many of you, but I found this product interesting...(review)
It is a 32MB Video PC Card...for owners of older PB's (such as my Pismo, or a Lombard or early TiBooks) this is a substantial graphics increase for driving external monitors, also allowing you to have a total of three displays running (2 external)...

See the review or links for more info, but for me it seems a fabulous addition to keep my Pismo in the game for a while longer...

Has anyone used this product? Opinions?

Otherwise, FWIW

ChrisFromCanada
Sep 6, 2004, 06:59 PM
I'm seeing a dead link.

crazzyeddie
Sep 6, 2004, 07:00 PM
PowerPage is currently down... fear not, it shall return.

7on
Sep 6, 2004, 07:34 PM
I believe the link is for a PCMCIA video card that allows for 2 external monitors (one from your builtin PB and one from the PCMCIA). As such it won't speed up your graphics on your PB screen. Also, I believe QE won't be present to monitors using this card because QE is disabled on PCI video cards (PCMCIA is more equivilant to PCI than AGP). Dunno how much this'll help. It's more for pros who want mobility and lots of workspace when stationary.

Dr. No
Sep 6, 2004, 08:42 PM
http://www.villagetronic.com/

This is the company that makes it. I did not know they made so many Mac video cards!!

The VTBook appears to have a Trident video chipset. I did not know these worked with Macs.

bobpensik
Sep 7, 2004, 12:58 AM
I wish i could upgrade the GPU in my 12" PB!

AmigoMac
Sep 7, 2004, 04:02 AM
I wish i could upgrade the GPU in my 12" PB!

I've read somewhere (I'm a bit busy to google for it) ;) that next generation laptops may come with a kind of upgradeable graphic card, almost as a desktop (Powermac) you just change it when you want, take one card out, new card in... ready... Nvidia should be working on that if I'm not wrong ... Let's hope for that. Maybe in WWDC 05 ?

vraxtus
Sep 7, 2004, 05:14 AM
I've read somewhere (I'm a bit busy to google for it) ;) that next generation laptops may come with a kind of upgradeable graphic card, almost as a desktop (Powermac) you just change it when you want, take one card out, new card in... ready... Nvidia should be working on that if I'm not wrong ... Let's hope for that. Maybe in WWDC 05 ?

Upgradeable GPUs already exist in some Dell laptops.

AmigoMac
Sep 7, 2004, 05:19 AM
Upgradeable GPUs already exist in some Dell laptops.

Yeah, those thick cases I can imagine it, it gives me a hope for the next powerbook revision...

aidamahn
Sep 7, 2004, 02:23 PM
http://www.villagetronic.com/

This is the company that makes it. I did not know they made so many Mac video cards!!

The VTBook appears to have a Trident video chipset. I did not know these worked with Macs.

Very interesting. I've never heard of this company.

The screen scrollign feaure looks cool, $99, something i'd be interested in. Has anyone used any of these villagetronic cards? or know of any products that would allow me to have an extended desktop?

Dave00
Sep 8, 2004, 08:21 AM
I've actually never had a problem driving external monitors with my Pismo. Granted, I haven't tried having a total of THREE monitors going, but even with large external monitors, I've been able to mirror or span quite nicely from my Pismo.

Dave

jalagl
Sep 8, 2004, 10:26 AM
I think the new alienware laptops already have this feature as well.
They weight a ton, though, and the battery life looks like its measured in minutes...

MrJohnson
Sep 8, 2004, 05:43 PM
Yeah, those thick cases I can imagine it, it gives me a hope for the next powerbook revision...

Actually you're wrong.

The video card is replacable in most Dell laptops for a heafty price.
Alienware makes some thin laptops where you can buy video card upgrades and upgrade them yourself.

Also nVidia has developed a new standard that uses PCI-Express in laptops to have upgradable graphics card. (Kind of like AGP, or PCI-Express 16x)