PDA

View Full Version : License Question

DominusNovus
Mar 15, 2010, 05:08 PM
Question: If you've bought software for Mac (or PC, as the case may be), do you have the right to the PC version (such as how people who've actually bought a video game technically can have an emulated copy on their computer)?

Background: I'm sick and tired of waiting for an expansion pack to a game I have the Mac version of (the company won't even acknowledge whether or not they're going to port it). I'm tempted to just go get Windows, run it in Bootcamp, and buy the PC version. Ideally, I'd like to not have to deal with buying the PC version of the base game, since I already have the game itself, just for Mac. I'm 90% sure that I'd have to do that, but figure that I may as well pin my hopes on that 10% of saving a buck (or 50).

MacDawg
Mar 15, 2010, 05:34 PM
You will need to contact the company that developed the game for clarification and/or a license for the alternate game

lucifiel
Mar 15, 2010, 05:42 PM
My feeling is that the terms of the license only extend so far as the software on the DVD/CD.

I.e. the mac version of the game is not identical to the windows version, therefore you will need a new license.

Just for clarity, is it dragon age you're talking about? Because if it is, I don't think EA will be entirely happy with the position you wish to adopt.

The only likely legal course of action is to purchase the base game in Windows again. Unfortunate as that may be.

DominusNovus
Mar 15, 2010, 06:12 PM
My feeling is that the terms of the license only extend so far as the software on the DVD/CD.

I.e. the mac version of the game is not identical to the windows version, therefore you will need a new license.

Just for clarity, is it dragon age you're talking about? Because if it is, I don't think EA will be entirely happy with the position you wish to adopt.

The only likely legal course of action is to purchase the base game in Windows again. Unfortunate as that may be.

Europa Universalis: Heir to the Throne, actually. Its ported by VPLTD, which, quite frankly, is a crappy company.

lucifiel
Mar 15, 2010, 06:28 PM
Ah well, it's not VPLTD that you need to speak to but instead Paradox, but you can see how Paradox would not likely want to grant a license since it did not recieve any moneys from the Mac OS X version you bought.

KeriJane
Mar 15, 2010, 07:36 PM
It doesn't hurt to ask.

Just call them up and ask.

This saved me thousands when I switched from PC to Mac....
I use one of Adobe's $2,000+ "suites" and there are separate PC and Mac versions.

I just asked if I could transfer my licenses to the different platform and they said "OK".

I did upgrade at the same time so it was a "Cross-Platform Upgrade" at no additional charge.

But they did say that they would honor the platform change on the old version so long as they still have it in stock.

Good Luck,
Keri

DominusNovus
Mar 22, 2010, 01:19 PM
I just wanted to let everyone know that I spent the last week corresponding with one of the lead developers at Paradox. They were incredibly accommodating and gracious and provided me with everything necessary.

Truly an excellent company that takes care of their customers. Now, I just have to go get Windows. :cool:

AlanShutko
Mar 22, 2010, 01:37 PM
Just some more data points on this:

Telltale games just released mac versions of some of their games. If you've purchased it through their store for PC, you get it on Mac. If you purchased it through a different store, I don't believe you do.

It is rumored that Steam will allow you to download the Valve games on the Mac if you've bought them on Steam.

Zortrium
Mar 22, 2010, 04:17 PM
It is rumored that Steam will allow you to download the Valve games on the Mac if you've bought them on Steam.

Not rumored, confirmed by Valve themselves.

lucifiel
Mar 22, 2010, 06:10 PM
I'm thoroughly impressed at Paradox's attitude in this matter.

Well done and congrats on finding a company that isn't going to neglect customer satisfaction.