Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

southerndoc

Contributor
Original poster
May 15, 2006
USA
Does anyone know if any of the magazine/newspaper apps (WSJ, NYT) in development might allow one to download the magazine/newspaper and read offline?

Would definitely reduce the need for 3G coverage.

wyneken

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
The great State of Maine
Does anyone know if any of the magazine/newspaper apps (WSJ, NYT) in development might allow one to download the magazine/newspaper and read offline?

I think the NYTimes iPhone app may do this now. I've never really studied it, but what it seems to do, when you open it up, is to check for updates and then download everything new -- sort of like a podcast subscription works. I only surmise that it's downloading everything because it takes, I mean, FOREVER, at least on my aged 1st-gen iPod touch.

I would think when we're dealing with an actual paid subscription, you'd be able to load and store the data for reading offline, just as you get to keep a regular print publication.

mattyuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Cumbria
I like to read the Times (British) leading articles. Is it possible to download the whole paper though for reading offline during the day? I work early so I would download in the morning and read during day.

Macjames

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2007
Yorkshire, England
I like to read the Times (British) leading articles. Is it possible to download the whole paper though for reading offline during the day? I work early so I would download in the morning and read during day.

Mattyuk, I believe you can by issues of the Times in the Amazon Kindle app. From Amazon:

The Kindle Edition of The Times contains articles found in the print edition, but will not include some images and tables. Also, some features such as the crossword puzzle, box scores and classifieds are not currently available. For your convenience, issues are automatically delivered wirelessly to your Kindle starting at 7:00 AM London local time.

mattyuk

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2009
Cumbria
Mattyuk, I believe you can by issues of the Times in the Amazon Kindle app. From Amazon:

The Kindle Edition of The Times contains articles found in the print edition, but will not include some images and tables. Also, some features such as the crossword puzzle, box scores and classifieds are not currently available. For your convenience, issues are automatically delivered wirelessly to your Kindle starting at 7:00 AM London local time.

Thanks for the info. Since Im out the door every morning by 5:40am, its impossible to download it at work. Plus im only getting the wifi version. Damn.

Try press reader it lets you download full issues of newspapers to your iPad.

Thanks, this seems a better suit but it seems you need internet connection to view. (looking at reviews I got that impression)

Marky

macrumors regular
Jan 4, 2005
The Financial Times iPad app allows you to download the entire edition for reading offline, not done it yet but will be next week - download b4 work

JediZenMaster

Suspended
Mar 28, 2010
Seattle
Thanks, this seems a better suit but it seems you need internet connection to view. (looking at reviews I got that impression)

There is no internet connection required to read the newspaper, Only to download them then they are saved in the app on the ipad.

BluPacificMedia

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2010
The iPad is sick!
I am just getting used to it being around and already feel as though I cant live without it!

Would be super stoked to get the paper on it offline though

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
the parched earth of North Texas
+1 for PressReader if you are a news junkie and want to read newspapers. Short of the NYT and the WSJ just about every paper in the US is available to read just like one would with a "real" paper. I think most international papers are there as well but can't say 100% as I haven't dwelled that deep into the international section.

boltjames

macrumors 601
May 2, 2010

Would definitely reduce the need for 3G coverage.

The USA Today (free) app allows for offline reading of the content. There's just not a lot of content. Enough to kill a 30 minute commute, not much more. Similarly, the NY Times Editor's Choise (free) app allows for offline reading as well. However, everywhere that a photo or video would be has a broken image. The text, though, no problem.

BJ

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.