PDA

View Full Version : Need Firewire HD Recommendations Please

Pepzhez
Sep 6, 2004, 10:04 PM
I'm in need of a couple of large capacity external firewire HDs. Now I've been out of the loop on these matters for a few years now, so I have no idea what the current specs and prices are. Is the Oxford 911 chipset still the thing to look for, or has it been outmoded by something better?

I would greatly appreciate any recommendations and mail order links anyone may have. I'd prefer to get the firewire cases individually for a decent price, and then look around for the best HD deal I can find.

So, please, which cases do you recommend, and which HDs?

Thanks!

Duff-Man
Sep 6, 2004, 10:17 PM
Duff-Man says....I would say have a look through the posts in the Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion forum (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=54) and the Product Recommendations/Reviews forum (http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56) - there are lots of threads already about various external drives and enclosures.....oh yeah!

Blue Velvet
Sep 6, 2004, 11:22 PM
LaCie big disk -- solid case, fast, FW800/400/USB2, compact...
:)

cb911
Sep 6, 2004, 11:30 PM
i just picked up a Maxtor 'One Touch' 250GB external HD. solid one piece aluminium case. so far so good.

and not too expensive either.

but there are 400GB drives out now, so keep a look out for them if you're after heaps of storage.

hanq
Sep 8, 2004, 01:13 PM
i've bought(is this the right spelling? haven't been to school lin 3 months and i can't spell things right any more) 3 firewire drives from <url=http://otherworldcomputing.com>OWC</url> and i love them all. two 2.5" 40GB drives and one 3.5" 160GB. they have a lot of specials for hdd's and enclosures. and the new best is the oxford922 chipset.

Mord
Sep 8, 2004, 02:14 PM
lacie drives are good and cheap, more so than building your own at the moment.

James Craner
Sep 8, 2004, 02:35 PM
In the latest issue of Macuser UK they have reviewed a number of disks in three categories Pocket, sub 250GB and over 250GB, Lacie won all three categories. I have a 250GB D2 Extreme Lacie disk and I can't fault it.

baby duck monge
Sep 8, 2004, 05:01 PM
i love my lacie D2, and would recommend it in a second. really most anything out there at the moment should probably be pretty good (it's tough because when you ask for reviews on things like this people will have widely different opinions of the same manufacturers, so it's hard to really know what drives are the most reliable.

just look for the fastest connection type that will work with the ports you have, a nice high speed, and a large buffer if lots of info needs to be captured in real-time.

if you had any room inside your comp, you would always go for an internal. or get an internal and a case for it. either way, i would recommend dealmac.com as a place to look daily for the best deals on all sorts of storage.

krimson
Sep 9, 2004, 08:18 AM
helped my friend set up his studio disk array 4 x 250Gb, enclosures were $55 each, and he got the disks for $140. poke around, theres alot of choices out there.