PDA

View Full Version : 4.4 earthquake in Los Angeles

Doctor Q
Mar 16, 2010, 06:36 AM
I was awakened by shaking at 4:04 am this morning. It was a moderate earthquake, Richter magnitude 4.4. The epicenter (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/eqcenter/shakemap/sc/shake/14601172/) was one mile north of Pico Rivera, California (http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&source=s_q&hl=en&geocode=&q=Pico+Rivera,+CA&sll=33.983069,-118.096735&sspn=0.185045,0.278435&gl=us&g=pico+rivera+ca&ie=UTF8&hq=&hnear=Pico+Rivera,+Los+Angeles,+California&ll=33.983225,-118.096161&spn=0.740175,1.113739&z=10), 11 miles southeast of downtown Los Angeles, along the Whittier fault, where there was a 5.9 quake in 1987 (http://www.data.scec.org/chrono_index/whittier.html). This quake must have relieved some built-up stress along that fault, which is good.

At the epicenter people reported a jolt and about 20 seconds of rolling. I felt the rolling and heard some far away noise, perhaps dogs barking.

A 4.4 quake isn't big enough to cause much damage or injury, although there are reports of things falling off shelves. It's equivalent to the total energy of an average tornado or 5100 tons of TNT, but it's over a wide enough area to disperse most of that energy.

The best news: our Macs are fine!

MacDawg
Mar 16, 2010, 06:38 AM
Wow... glad you (and the Macs) are fine

Will check with other friends out there, but hopefully all is well

iBlue
Mar 16, 2010, 06:47 AM
That Whittier quake you mentioned was my first memorable California earthquake. Little did I know how many more (and much larger) ones I'd experience in later years.

Here's hoping that stress-release has helped avoid a larger one.

Doctor Q
Mar 16, 2010, 07:00 AM
That Whittier quake you mentioned was my first memorable California earthquake.
Were you damaged? ;)

Why do they bother building amusement parks in California? Nature gives us a free ride every now and then.

Is it really true that earthquakes happen equally at all times of day (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/faq/?categoryID=6&faqID=17)? It seems to me that almost all of them here are early in the morning.

Queso
Mar 16, 2010, 07:04 AM
According to world-renowned expert on the cause of natural disasters Fred Phelps Earthquakes tend to occur when Teh Gheys™ are getting busy in the bedroom.

MacDawg
Mar 16, 2010, 07:06 AM
OK, heard from my friend in LA... very close to them, but they are fine
Said it was a real shaker for them though

iBlue
Mar 16, 2010, 07:07 AM
Were you damaged? ;)

Why do they bother building amusement parks in California? Nature gives us a free ride every now and then.

Is it really true that earthquakes happen equally at all times of day (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/learn/faq/?categoryID=6&faqID=17)? It seems to me that almost all of them here are early in the morning.

Nah, I was in Woodland Hills but it was really unlucky that I was home alone when it happened. I was 10 and my mom left shortly before to do a quick errand and whatdoyaknow, earthquake. It was weird and unnerving.

You're right, most of the So Cal earthquakes I've felt did seem to go off in the morning. Nothing quite like the Northridge wake-up call though. :eek:

lozanoj83
Mar 16, 2010, 07:37 AM
Weird. I woke up @ 4 to take a shower to study for my Physics final (which is in 2.5 hours) and I didn't feel anything. Who knows, maybe I was half asleep in the shower and couldn't notice it.
FYI - im in Riverside.

Doctor Q
Mar 16, 2010, 07:51 AM
There's now a report of damage to the 5 Freeway, most likely a result of the earthquake. A bit of pavement collapsed. The morning commute will be worse than usual because a couple of lanes are closed. It's not even 6am yet but there's already a big line of cars backed up.

The epicenter was along the 605 Freeway. The 5 Freeway is just west of the 605 at that point.

sushi
Mar 16, 2010, 07:53 AM
I was awakened by shaking at 4:04 am this morning.

<snip>

The best news: our Macs are fine!
That's good to hear! :)

Who cares about their PCs. Ha ha!

Queso
Mar 16, 2010, 07:55 AM
BTW, is it true they've issued a Tsunami warning in New Zealand? They're predicting waves of up to two inches!! :D

dmr727
Mar 16, 2010, 11:52 AM
I slept through it. Nice to see the fault relieve some stress, though.

RawBert
Mar 16, 2010, 12:28 PM
I also slept though it. Glad it wasn't bigger. The first thing I imagine, is my iMac G4 under a pile of debris. *cringe* My Mac Pro can take it, but that beautiful iMac.... *tears roll down cheeks*

Oh yeah, the wife's safety is a concern too...

leomac08
Mar 16, 2010, 02:24 PM
I was sleeping at 4:04am and i'm located at inglewood.....many UCLA, UC Irvine and UC Riverside Students who are in southern california, where sleeping....or studying for finals.....

it's finals week...!!!!!!!!! spring break is around the corner....!!! ( i had to get that out!):D

ohhh and the 405 freeway is fine :D traffic as usual...meh

BittenApple
Mar 16, 2010, 02:55 PM
Phsss 4.4 is nothing.

When its 5.5 or above thats when its newsworthy.

North Cali here, been through the Northridge and the Loma Prieta earthquakes.

But who knows when the 'big one' will hit.

Sdashiki
Mar 16, 2010, 02:58 PM
When LA falls into the Pacific, give me a call.

Until then, I could care less...in fact...if you arent a 2nd or 3rd world country dealing with a natural disaster, its not even worth noting.

:rolleyes:

iShater
Mar 16, 2010, 03:01 PM
Way too many earthquakes lately.

And I just saw the movie 2012 this weekend. uh oh. :eek: :o

leomac08
Mar 16, 2010, 04:21 PM
;).

North Cali here, been through the Northridge and the Loma Prieta earthquakes.

But who knows when the 'big one' will hit.

F.Y.I The Northridge Earthquake was in Southern California not NoCal. Northern California is consider to many Californians anything above San Berdandino or Fresno.

rhett7660
Mar 16, 2010, 04:55 PM
Yup.. it was pretty good. I live about 15 minutes away from the epicenter. It was pretty good jolt.

Dagless
Mar 16, 2010, 05:08 PM
All the 4's and in LA? Probably some promo thing by the producers of Lost.

BittenApple
Mar 16, 2010, 06:43 PM
;)

F.Y.I The Northridge Earthquake was in Southern California not NoCal. Northern California is consider to many Californians anything above San Berdandino or Fresno.

I lived in SoCal as well :)

My point is that a 4.4 earthquake doesn't concern me, they are pretty common.

Doctor Q
Mar 16, 2010, 07:21 PM
I toured the Winchester Mystery House in San Jose when I was there the other week. As a widow, she spent over 30 years remodeling her house because a fortune teller told her that building and never finishing her house would protect her from spirits that were out to get her.

Mrs. Winchester was trapped in one part of that house in the huge 1906 earthquake, with walls that warped so she couldn't open the door of the room. Eventually her workers got her out, but she was sure that bad spirits inhabited that part of the house so she abandoned that whole wing and lived in other parts of the house for the rest of her life. The earthquake-damaged rooms are still there with their broken walls!

According to Cal Tech, today's small quake was not caused by evil spirits.

Nermal
Mar 16, 2010, 07:24 PM
BTW, is it true they've issued a Tsunami warning in New Zealand? They're predicting waves of up to two inches!! :D

*Runs for hills* :eek:

Seriously, when there's a real tsunami, people are going to ignore the warning due to the sheer amount of "crying wolf" that happens here. I'll probably ignore it too. Fortunately I actually live up a hill :)

niuniu
Mar 16, 2010, 07:25 PM
Sister just moved back from LA on Sunday, though it sounds like it wasn't so serious anyway.

We'll all be dead in less than 2 years so what's it matter I guess :( :p

leomac08
Mar 16, 2010, 07:35 PM
I lived in SoCal as well :)

My point is that a 4.4 earthquake doesn't concern me, they are pretty common.

oh my bad.....:o

lol

4.4 can't even be felt.....:rolleyes:

you need a 5.0 to feel it rumble your vision.

Nermal
Mar 16, 2010, 07:36 PM
4.4 can't even be felt.....:rolleyes:

you need a 5.0 to feel it rumble your vision.

That depends on how deep it is.

Doctor Q
Mar 16, 2010, 08:18 PM
When the Loma Prieta (San Francisco area) earthquake hit in 1989, my mom was in Los Angeles talking on the phone to someone she knew in San Francisco.

He said he thought they were having an earthquake. Many second later she felt it arrive, while they were still on the phone. Voice signals travel through phone networks a lot faster than P-waves travel through the ground.

Hmmm... I wonder if Verizon P-waves have better quality than AT&T P-waves. :rolleyes:

jecapaga
Mar 17, 2010, 01:09 AM
I briefly woke up and shrugged it off. Woke up in the morning thinking I had a dream about a mild earthquake and that I had long, flowing locks and was right about to close the deal.

Surely
Mar 17, 2010, 01:24 AM
We must have slept through it (or it wasn't strong enough in our area for us to feel it).

I live in Westwood, FTR.

dmr727
Mar 17, 2010, 01:29 AM
We must have slept through it (or it wasn't strong enough in our area for us to feel it).

You would have felt it had you been up. 4.4, while not huge, is certainly big enough to get your attention. It woke my wife up, and we're quite a ways further from the epicenter than you are.

Surely
Mar 17, 2010, 01:31 AM
You would have felt it had you been up. 4.4, while not huge, is certainly big enough to get your attention. It woke my wife up, and we're quite a ways further from the epicenter than you are.

Wow, I must have been out cold then. I'm typically a very light sleeper.

I was once woken up by an earthquake when I was still living in Toronto.

iBlue
Mar 17, 2010, 03:24 AM
Hehe, my british husband, not knowing how seasoned my California family is with earthquakes, sent my mother an email to ask her about it. Her response made us both laugh and since I know Q has met her, I'm posting it:

No, did not feel a thing. The whole local morning news was so annoying, blabbing about nothing, interviewing idiots so they could say in their room temperature I.Q.s what they experienced. I want death, carnage, & busted freeways before you interrupt our news with a quake reading not larger than a fart.

:D After the Northridge quake she nonchalantly walked up to my side of the house past all the broken and fallen stuff and pointed a flashlight at me and said with a hint of a smile, "Well that was pretty big!" No crap, mom! She's tough to shake up, as it were.

sushi
Mar 17, 2010, 07:50 AM
Hmmm... I wonder if Verizon P-waves have better quality than AT&T P-waves. :rolleyes:
Hmmm...

I think that the root question is not, whether or not they are better P-waves, but rather if they are in greater quantity over a wider area. :p

Hehe, my british husband, not knowing how seasoned my California family is with earthquakes, sent my mother an email to ask her about it. Her response made us both laugh and since I know Q has met her, I'm posting it:

No, did not feel a thing. The whole local morning news was so annoying, blabbing about nothing, interviewing idiots so they could say in their room temperature I.Q.s what they experienced. I want death, carnage, & busted freeways before you interrupt our news with a quake reading not larger than a fart.
:D After the Northridge quake she nonchalantly walked up to my side of the house past all the broken and fallen stuff and pointed a flashlight at me and said with a hint of a smile, "Well that was pretty big!" No crap, mom! She's tough to shake up, as it were.
Love your mom's reply! :)

Same here in Japan. It needs to be pretty significant before we notice or get worried.

Doctor Q
Mar 17, 2010, 01:34 PM
iBlue: I bet your mom just loved it when the local news stations started reading us random twitter messages like "we just had an earthquake!" over the air. :rolleyes:

The news stations seem to think that doing this makes them look cool. I think it's the opposite. If I wanted to get my earthquake news from tweets I wouldn't have turned on the TV!

sushi
Mar 18, 2010, 07:39 PM
iBlue: I bet your mom just loved it when the local news stations started reading us random twitter messages like "we just had an earthquake!" over the air. :rolleyes:
Seriously?

Unbelievable. So much for news quality and accuracy.

Doctor Q
Mar 18, 2010, 08:37 PM
Seriously?

Unbelievable. So much for news quality and accuracy.
I think the accuracy was good and that they correctly reported what a random person said on twitter. The question is WHY???

Nermal
Mar 18, 2010, 09:05 PM
Same here in Japan. It needs to be pretty significant before we notice or get worried.

Same here too. I just looked at the local "earthquake watch" site and I see that we had a 5.5 today, a 5.7 yesterday, and a 4.0 two days prior. I wasn't aware of any of them :p

iBlue
Mar 19, 2010, 03:45 AM

The news stations seem to think that doing this makes them look cool. I think it's the opposite. If I wanted to get my earthquake news from tweets I wouldn't have turned on the TV!

:D Oh yes, I bet that did make her eyes go-a-rollin'. She was most disappointed in me for being a "twit" myself but I assured her I'm only a part-time twit.

Very much agree about that last part too.

sushi
Mar 19, 2010, 08:11 AM
I think the accuracy was good and that they correctly reported what a random person said on twitter. The question is WHY???
Tweets like hey the ground is shaking here are all that helpful and informative. But I guess it's quick.

As to "WHY???", now that's a good question. :)

Doctor Q
Apr 4, 2010, 05:49 PM
Woah! We just went rock and rolling here. Did Southern California just have another quake?

RawBert
Apr 4, 2010, 05:52 PM
Whoa! Just checked, that was a 6.9 earthquake in Baja California! :eek:

rhett7660
Apr 4, 2010, 05:55 PM
Whoa! Just checked, that was a 6.9 earthquake in Baja California! :eek:

Just read that also. It was a very looooooong quake. Slow roller.

Doctor Q
Apr 4, 2010, 06:00 PM
Details (http://earthquake.usgs.gov/earthquakes/recenteqsww/Quakes/ci14607652.php):Magnitude: 6.9
Date-Time: Sunday, April 04, 2010 at 03:40:39 PM at epicenter
Depth: 20.1 miles
Region: BAJA CALIFORNIA, MEXICO16 miles SSW from Guadalupe Victoria, Baja California, Mexico
38 miles SW from San Luis Río Colorado, Sonora, Mexico
40 miles SW from San Luis, AZ
108 miles ESE from Tijuana, Baja California, Mexico
We were rolling for a good 30 seconds.

RawBert
Apr 4, 2010, 06:02 PM
Just read that also. It was a very looooooong quake. Slow roller.

Yes, it felt like the city was on ball bearings. Felt weird.

I'm sure there's a lot of damage near the border. Sad. Hope not too bad, though - but that is huge!

Surely
Apr 4, 2010, 06:15 PM
Yes, it felt like the city was on ball bearings. Felt weird.

I'm sure there's a lot of damage near the border. Sad. Hope not too bad, though - but that is huge!

I certainly felt that one! That's exactly how it felt.

I felt weird- like I was dizzy for a few seconds. I was in a store, so I looked around, but no one else was reacting to it.

Doctor Q
Apr 4, 2010, 07:09 PM
There were preshocks of magnitudes in the 3s and 4s in Mexico before the biggest jolt. Some sites are calling it 6.9, some 7.2.

We're having aftershocks on our side of the border, including a 5.1 near El Centro, CA. I wonder if the seismic waves had to go through immigration.

On no!
Reports from Disneyland security indicate that the park's rides have been shut down to be checked for damage, as standard procedure after any earthquake.

redshift1
Apr 4, 2010, 07:26 PM
upgraded to 7.2

kainjow
Apr 4, 2010, 08:37 PM
upgraded to 7.2

I liked version 6.9 better. Less buggy ;)

pukifloyd
Apr 4, 2010, 09:58 PM
was driving (in az) ... felt my car shake while waiting on the light
7.2 is scary :eek:

djellison
Apr 6, 2010, 05:15 AM
I missed it by three hours :O I was on an LAX-LHR at the time.

I'm a bit gutted.

Doctor Q
Apr 6, 2010, 01:09 PM
I reused this thread to comment on the latest big quake, rather than starting a new thread, since I didn't have any information at first.

Ironically, what turned out to be a 7.2 earthquake in Mexico produced aftershocks in the 4's in Los Angeles, matching the thread title. :cool: