Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Hi everyone,
I'd like to set up a discussion board for a class I'm in. Does anyone know of a good (free) website where you can create your own message boards? It doesn't need to be too fancy, just something simple to use with all the normal features (different forums, anyone can create a thread, e-mail notifications that can be turned on or off, etc).
Thanks for the help!

Ja Di ksw

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Apr 9, 2003
Thanks for the suggestion, but don't you have to use a yahoo or google account with those? Most people here (Austria) don't have that type of e-mail account, I would need a board that can use any e-mail.

840quadra

Staff member
Feb 1, 2005
Twin Cities Minnesota
You can subscribe to the groups that Miles01110 listed. In other words, you send an invite to people you intend to be part of the group, and they can sign up and have their current email added to the list of addresses who receive messages.

I am on a couple Yahoo groups, but utilize my hotmail account to participate in them.

For a Forum style board (like Macrumors), I would suggest PHPBB (properly patched), but you will need your own hosting provider to install the board onto.

HTH

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.