PDA

View Full Version : iPod prevents jogger from hearing plane land on and kill him

Tilpots
Mar 16, 2010, 11:46 AM
Plane kills beach jogger in S.C. emergency landing (http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20100316/ARTICLES/100319742/1177?Title=Plane-kills-beach-jogger-in-S-C-emergency-landing)

A 38-year-old jogger from Georgia is dead after a single-engine plane making an emergency landing hit him as he ran on a South Carolina beach listening to his iPod.

The coroner said Tuesday that Robert Gary Jones of Woodstock, Ga., apparently did not hear the troubled plane that struck him from behind on Hilton Head Island The plane had lost its propeller and the pilot's vision was blocked by oil on the windshield.

What a way to go...:eek:

FSMBP
Mar 16, 2010, 12:02 PM
Plane kills beach jogger in S.C. emergency landing (http://www.starnewsonline.com/article/20100316/ARTICLES/100319742/1177?Title=Plane-kills-beach-jogger-in-S-C-emergency-landing)

What a way to go...:eek:

I smell a new lawsuit on our hands...haha.

That is insane though. Back in high school track, our coach always told us not to run with headphones as you can't hear cars (that are behind you) or planes, I guess.

yellow
Mar 16, 2010, 12:05 PM
That is insane though. Back in high school track, our coach always told us not to run with headphones as you can't hear cars (that are behind you) or planes, I guess.

Poor dude.

Which is partly why you're supposed to run/walk against oncoming traffic.. airplane traffic though, all bets are off.

bobr1952
Mar 16, 2010, 12:07 PM
Good thing I am an old school runner and have never run with headphones. :D

arkitect
Mar 16, 2010, 12:07 PM
Which is partly why you're supposed to run/walk against oncoming traffic.. airplane traffic though, all bets are off.

as he ran on a South Carolina beach
Hardly where you'd expect traffic of any kind though…

jknight8907
Mar 16, 2010, 12:16 PM
There was probably nothing to hear. Single-engine planes are almost silent when making normal idle-throttle landings, and it sounds like there may have been a total engine failure in this case, removing even that slight noise. All he could have heard then would be the rush of wind over the plane. Not easy to hear standing still, let alone running in the opposite direction, iPod or not.

yellow
Mar 16, 2010, 12:17 PM
Hardly where you'd expect traffic of any kind though…

True.. but I was talking about FSMBP's high school track coach.

There was probably nothing to hear. Single-engine planes are almost silent when making normal idle-throttle landings, and it sounds like there may have been a total engine failure in this case, removing even that slight noise. All he could have heard then would be the rush of wind over the plane. Not easy to hear standing still, let alone running in the opposite direction, iPod or not.

Good point.. gliding doesn't make much noise.

RawBert
Mar 16, 2010, 12:20 PM
[lame joke]

Perhaps he was listening to one of the following:

The Propellerheads
The B-52's
Jefferson Airplane
Aerosmith

[/lame joke]

notjustjay
Mar 16, 2010, 12:41 PM
Wait, you mean planes don't have horns to blow? :p

sanPietro98
Mar 16, 2010, 12:47 PM
When did Toyota start making aircraft?

eawmp1
Mar 16, 2010, 12:48 PM
That jogger ended up on the wrong side of a statistical improbability.

sanPietro98
Mar 16, 2010, 12:51 PM
I see a new market for an iPod accessory... an aircraft proximity sensor that alerts you to incoming aircraft. Call it iDuck.

Compile 'em all
Mar 16, 2010, 12:52 PM
It is clearly steve jobs's fault!

maflynn
Mar 16, 2010, 01:07 PM
I run 5 - 6 days a week and never do I wear air buds/headphones. Not because of any safety concern but just because they fall out as I sweat.

Anyways my point here is, even w/o them, I can get into a "zone" and not hear anything. While wearing them certainly blocks out outside noises, its completely plausible that this accident could have still occurred even if he was not using the ipod.

ucfgrad93
Mar 16, 2010, 01:08 PM

Agreed, it is just one of those fluke things. Sort of like this story.

What began as a typical daily commute for Craig resident Karen Lynn Evanoff ended tragically Wednesday morning on U.S. Highway 40 east of Hayden when a boulder fell on the roof of the car she was riding in, killing her instantly. The unidentified driver of the car was uninjured.

Colorado State Patrol troopers said the basketball-sized boulder struck the 2004 Buick on the passenger side where the windshield meets the vehicle’s roofline. The force of the impact crushed the car’s roof, but the driver was able to pull off onto nearby Routt County Road 52 and bring the vehicle to a controlled stop, troopers said.

http://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/2010/mar/10/woman-killed-when-boulder-hits-car-near-mount-harr/

Lord Blackadder
Mar 16, 2010, 01:25 PM
As others have said, nothing to hear, the aircraft was gliding with a dead engine.

It won't make me change my habits - if a plane is going to make an emergency landing on me, chances are I'm not going to be prepared for it anyway.

At least the family have some good material for an epithet. "Look out!" perhaps?

Tilpots
Mar 16, 2010, 01:55 PM

I'd love to see the odds on that one.

Wonder if the guy "felt" something coming up behind him? I hope he never turned around. Better to not know at that point, I guess...

ntrigue
Mar 16, 2010, 02:52 PM
[awesome joke]

Perhaps he was listening to one of the following:

The Propellerheads
The B-52's
Jefferson Airplane
Aerosmith

[/awesome joke]

Fixed :)

BittenApple
Mar 16, 2010, 02:57 PM
Even if the iPod never blew up and is the iconic music player we have now (as opposed to being a Sony device for example), people would still wear em' and sometimes die.

dukebound85
Mar 16, 2010, 03:02 PM
Agreed, it is just one of those fluke things. Sort of like this story.

http://www.steamboatpilot.com/news/2010/mar/10/woman-killed-when-boulder-hits-car-near-mount-harr/

dang, just after the whole I-70 fiasco too

you remember this?

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/4986957/

Tilpots
Mar 16, 2010, 03:04 PM
yea, you remember this?

Awful.

When it's your time, it's your time...

ucfgrad93
Mar 16, 2010, 09:59 PM
dang, just after the whole I-70 fiasco too

you remember this?

No, I still lived in Florida at the time. But what a way to go.

GoCubsGo
Mar 16, 2010, 10:01 PM
This is why I don't jog.

dmr727
Mar 16, 2010, 10:06 PM
This is why I don't jog.

LOL!

Awesome. :)

MacBytes
Mar 16, 2010, 11:17 PM
http://www.macbytes.com/images/bytessig.gif (http://www.macbytes.com)

Category: News and Press Releases
Link: Plane kills beach jogger listening to his iPod (http://www.macbytes.com/link.php?sid=20100317001707)
Description:: none

Posted on MacBytes.com (http://www.macbytes.com)
Approved by Mudbug

gibbz
Mar 16, 2010, 11:21 PM
That is pretty terrible. Two kids and wife.

Surely
Mar 16, 2010, 11:23 PM
Yikes!

What are the odds of that happening?

bretm
Mar 16, 2010, 11:39 PM
You're gonna see a lot more people killed by hybrids for the same reason. Seriously. Ever not heard one of those things coming? Creepy.

Randman
Mar 17, 2010, 12:11 AM
I wonder what headphones he was wearing. I'm always getting sound leaking into mine (Shures and Sonys) when going for a jog.

WestonHarvey1
Mar 17, 2010, 12:26 AM
You're gonna see a lot more people killed by hybrids for the same reason. Seriously. Ever not heard one of those things coming? Creepy.

Having had dozens of gliders fly low directly over my head, I can confirm an unpowered plane makes quite a loud rushing noise.

With the cars - wasn't California talking about requiring the Tesla to make a clicking sound or something?

rickdollar
Mar 17, 2010, 12:31 AM
Having had dozens of gliders fly low directly over my head, I can confirm an unpowered plane makes quite a loud rushing noise.

With the cars - wasn't California talking about requiring the Tesla to make a clicking sound or something?

A clicking sound. That's hilarious.

Surely
Mar 17, 2010, 12:33 AM
A clicking sound. That's hilarious.

If I heard that behind me, I would think that the Smoke Monster was after me.....

WestonHarvey1
Mar 17, 2010, 12:48 AM

I'm going to disagree with this, having walked under gliders on final dozens of times, often listening to my iPod. Gliders can make quite a bit of noise. I will grant that you might not hear it if the music is somewhat loud, and that the untrained will probably not know what they are hearing.

Friscohoya
Mar 17, 2010, 12:51 AM
Talk about wrong place at wrong time. Well maybe not wrong place but definitely wrong time.

tillathenun
Mar 17, 2010, 01:57 AM
This is why I don't jog.

You just made me choke on my tea.

ogee
Mar 17, 2010, 04:15 AM
That is pretty terrible. Two kids and wife.

Yeh, one kid is bad enough, but two, and a wife.....

Terrible.

Yvan256
Mar 17, 2010, 07:57 AM
"iPod prevents jogger from hearing plane" is just reaching for readers. How about "Morning jogging kills man on beach"?

I see a new market for an iPod accessory... an aircraft proximity sensor that alerts you to incoming aircraft. Call it iDuck.

But then what will we call the duck detector iPod accessory? Don't start a mess like Globophobia (http://wiki.answers.com/Q/What_is_Globophobia). The poor people afraid of globes can't even name their phobia thanks to people afraid of balloons.

notjustjay
Mar 17, 2010, 09:24 AM

So basically stick a playing card into one of the spokes?

Tilpots
Mar 17, 2010, 09:35 AM
So basically stick a playing card into one of the spokes?

It's not far off from what some Hybrid Manufaturer's are actually doing in their concept cars. Check out this from Lotus (http://reviews.cnet.com/8301-31346_7-10459455-252.html?tag=mncol;title).

Unique to the Evora 414E Hybrid is a virtual seven-speed transmission actuated by paddle shifters. Each downshift engages a more aggressive regeneration mode for the drive motors, simulating the feel of downshifting a car with gears. To complete the experience, Lotus used audio technology from Harman International that simulates engine noise, and modulates its sound based on motor speed and virtual downshifts. The driver can select from four engine sound modes: a V-6 engine, V-12 engine, a futuristic sound, and a combination of internal combustion and futuristic sounds.

Amazing Iceman
Mar 17, 2010, 09:42 AM
Sounds kind of pointless, doesn't it? It's obvious how this man died.
Mr. Coroner, don't forget to put all his organs back inside after the autopsy.

sushi
Mar 17, 2010, 09:58 AM
Sometimes, it just isn't your day.

Feel bad for the jogger and his family.

Earendil
Mar 17, 2010, 11:50 AM
I'm going to disagree with this, having walked under gliders on final dozens of times, often listening to my iPod. Gliders can make quite a bit of noise. I will grant that you might not hear it if the music is somewhat loud, and that the untrained will probably not know what they are hearing.

And now I'm going to disagree! :)
I worked at a small FBO for a number of years, where a glider business and one of the best glider pilots in the NW was based. On a perfectly calm day, if you are silent, you can certainly hear a glider coming, however if you are doing anything as noisy as say talking, you can't hear it until it is overhead. Throw in a normal beach side breeze, and start breathing hard to a good jog, and there is no way you'd hear a glider approaching from behind you. And certainly on a beach even if you heard something, you'd be more likely to think "kite" than "dead engine aircraft making emergency landing on my head". Even I would, and I worked with the darn things!

And I would also say that a Cessna 175 landing in a 15mph headwind is damn near silent unless you are right next to it (or in it :) ). The except to this is if the pilot has to give her a little juice right near the end. The sudden increase in revs jumps above the sound of the wind. But otherwise...

Full of Win
Mar 17, 2010, 01:33 PM
What a crazy way to die.

jviphone
Mar 17, 2010, 02:54 PM
iRunway.

No ice please
Mar 17, 2010, 03:03 PM
Learn to fly - Foo fighters

WestonHarvey1
Mar 17, 2010, 04:07 PM
And now I'm going to disagree! :)
I worked at a small FBO for a number of years, where a glider business and one of the best glider pilots in the NW was based. On a perfectly calm day, if you are silent, you can certainly hear a glider coming, however if you are doing anything as noisy as say talking, you can't hear it until it is overhead. Throw in a normal beach side breeze, and start breathing hard to a good jog, and there is no way you'd hear a glider approaching from behind you. And certainly on a beach even if you heard something, you'd be more likely to think "kite" than "dead engine aircraft making emergency landing on my head". Even I would, and I worked with the darn things!

And I would also say that a Cessna 175 landing in a 15mph headwind is damn near silent unless you are right next to it (or in it :) ). The except to this is if the pilot has to give her a little juice right near the end. The sudden increase in revs jumps above the sound of the wind. But otherwise...

Didn't factor in the sound of surf. You're probably right.

Certainly not faulting the guy for getting hit by a plane :) That's definitely outside the realm of things to worry about.

Gregg2
Mar 17, 2010, 07:43 PM
Talk about wrong place at wrong time. Well maybe not wrong place but definitely wrong time.
What a crazy way to die.

Yeah, like the scuba diver, in full gear, found dead in the burned out forest after the fire was put out. This happened many years back, if it's true. I didn't search for it. The only thing they could figure was that the guy was scooped up by the helicopter ferrying water from the ocean to the forest fire.

Love
Mar 17, 2010, 08:20 PM
dmr727? is that you in the picture?

:D

velocityg4
Mar 18, 2010, 09:50 AM
I know everyone is focusing on if he could of heard the sound or not. But what caught my attention.

Beaufort County Coroner Ed Allen says he plans to conduct an autopsy.

The guy was hit by a plane. Why waste taxpayer money when you already know the cause? Do they think someone was expecting the plane to hit him so that they could murder him the instant before?

Tilpots
Mar 18, 2010, 10:02 AM
The guy was hit by a plane. Why waste taxpayer money when you already know the cause? Do they think someone was expecting the plane to hit him so that they could murder him the instant before?

Al Qaeda was flying the plane. Conspiracy!!!!

Uh-oh. Now a mods considering moving this to the PRSI forum...:p

sushi
Mar 18, 2010, 10:52 AM
My guess it's for the follow on lawsuits.

For example, if Mr. Jogger died of a heart attack at the same time or shortly before, then his death was not due to the airplane and thus there is no lawsuit against the pilot. The autopsy will determine the cause of death.

Again, just a guess.

mingoglia
Mar 18, 2010, 06:32 PM
I think there needs to be a warning in the owner's manual not to use iPod's in the vicinity of small single engine aircraft. Just like McDonald's has warning's on their coffee cups warning that the coffee is hot.

pukifloyd
Mar 18, 2010, 07:13 PM
sad... RIP :(

godrifle
Mar 18, 2010, 09:19 PM
This is why I don't jog.

HAHAHAH. I was wracking my brain for a good one liner for this story. Now I'm gonna stop.

Heilage
Mar 19, 2010, 12:46 AM
I want those noise-cancelling headphones he had. They must be awesome.

yellow
Mar 19, 2010, 07:15 AM
Just like McDonald's has warning's on their coffee cups warning that the coffee is hot.

!WARNING! Engine failure may cause extreme death.

iBlue
Mar 19, 2010, 07:25 AM
Yeah, like the scuba diver, in full gear, found dead in the burned out forest after the fire was put out. This happened many years back, if it's true. I didn't search for it. The only thing they could figure was that the guy was scooped up by the helicopter ferrying water from the ocean to the forest fire.

TOTAL (http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/scuba.asp) urban legend. I actually got into an argument about this as a teenager in "brat camp". The adult leaders were giving us lowly children crazy scenarios and seeing if we could work them out. This one came up and I argued that it wasn't possible (partially because my grandfather was a fire marshall and I knew at least a little of what I was talking about) and got told off for it. Many years later I find myself vindicated.

Tilpots
Mar 19, 2010, 08:16 AM
I bet that poor jogger was even wearing Sunscreen as a precaution.

Gregg2
Mar 19, 2010, 08:16 AM
TOTAL (http://www.snopes.com/horrors/freakish/scuba.asp) urban legend.

I thought about checking it out after I posted that. It seems like I heard about it before I had the internet! Thus, didn't have the means to check it then.

IntelliUser
Mar 19, 2010, 12:53 PM
If I had been listening to music with such a high volume that I couldn't have been able to hear a plane falling on me, I'd bet that would be because my ears had died long before me.

neutrino23
Mar 19, 2010, 08:21 PM
I've heard small planes coming in for a landing and they are pretty quiet with their motors running. With no engine they would be silent till the last second.

With a plane coming in at high speed even if he did turn around at the last second it would be hard to react properly. First there is the element of surprise. At 120mph the plane is covering 176 ft per second, more than a football field length in two seconds. Seeing a plane where there should not be one might leave one stunned for a second, that's all it takes. Second, it is very hard to judge directions when things are traveling that fast. Try standing next to a freeway when cars are zooming by. They are very hard to focus on. In Japan I'd stand in the station and watch the Shinkansen zip by at something like 150mph. It was amazing. Close up they are just a blur.

jknight8907
Mar 19, 2010, 10:08 PM
I want those noise-cancelling headphones he had. They must be awesome.

Not hardly. Read the rest of the thread, we're not talking departing-jet noise levels.

doctoree
Mar 21, 2010, 04:14 AM
uhhhh I smell a new lawsuit against Apple.

RedTomato
Mar 21, 2010, 07:59 AM
I'm deaf, and this is why I always look both ways when crossing the road. Just in case a plane is landing on it. Or aliens are invading behind my back.

skunk
Mar 21, 2010, 08:16 AM
Or aliens are invading behind my back.Too late. We're already here.

grizzlybrice
Mar 22, 2010, 01:00 PM
I know it's wrong, but this popped in my head when I read about it:

http://nighthawknews.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/north-by-northwest-hitchcock-cary-grant-pic-2.jpg

gB

skottichan
Mar 22, 2010, 04:15 PM
I know it's wrong, but this popped in my head when I read about it:

http://nighthawknews.files.wordpress.com/2009/10/north-by-northwest-hitchcock-cary-grant-pic-2.jpg

gB

Yeah, same thing with me. All I could think was, "At least Cary Grant ducked".

flyfish29
Mar 25, 2010, 08:32 PM
iRunway.

I was thinking iRunaway!!!