PDA

View Full Version : iBook logic board failure and Combo Drive

sandman42
Sep 7, 2004, 01:14 AM
Anyone have any evidence that the well-known iBook logic board failures can lead to problems with CD-Rom or Combo Drives?

My computer's in the serial number range that's prone to the logic board failure, and I recently started having trouble with my Combo Drive. I looked on Apple's support/discussion page, and it seems like lots of others are having problems, and some people have experiences that suggest that Apple may be acknowledging some connection between the two.

I called Apple's tech support about my Combo Drive, and they quoted me a 'ballpark' price of $1000 (yes, you read that right) to fix my Combo Drive! Since a replacement drive is only about $150, and a tech can change it in a couple hours at most, I can't understand that price. I was too shocked to ask them to itemize that quote for me; I plan to call back and do just that, but I want to do my homework first. I have to wonder if that quote is based on a logic board replacement, if that's the case I should be able to get it for free.

If anyone has any experience with the extended warranty and optical drive replacement I'd sure like to hear about it.

Thanks!