Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

155712-xeon_5600.jpg

Intel today announced the launch of its new Xeon 5600 series processors, bringing to market a number of new four-core and six-core processors that Apple could choose to utilize in an update to its Mac Pro line. The company also introduced its Core i7-980x processor, a high-end consumer-focused relative of the new Xeon chips.
These are also the first server and workstation chips based on the groundbreaking, new Intel 32nm logic technology, which uses Intel's second-generation high-k metal gate transistors to increase speed and decrease energy consumption. The Intel Xeon Processor 5600 series supports up to six cores per processor and delivers up to 60 percent greater performance than the 45nm Intel Xeon processor 5500 series.
Intel Xeon 5500 series processors are currently used in Apple's 8-core Mac Pro introduced last year. Using new six-core Xeon processors in a dual-processor configuration, Apple could now offer up to a 12-core Mac Pro running at base speeds of up to 2.93 GHz if it chose to remain within the thermal constraints of its existing dual-processor Mac Pros or up to 3.33 GHz if it was able to offer sufficient cooling for the increased heat load.

An update to the Mac Pro line is widely expected and earlier rumors had suggested that Apple might introduce Mac Pros today alongside Intel's announcement, but that does not appear to be the case. Apple has in the past even introduced new models using unannounced Intel processors, with last year's Mac Pro refresh utilizing 5500 series Nehalem processors coming a full three weeks before Intel officially announced the line.

Article Link: Intel Debuts Xeon 5600 Series Processors Appropriate for Mac Pro

theheadguy

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2005
california
I realize most people are still wiping their tears of happiness with the launch of the huge iphone ipad... but seriously apple, get on with the hardware updates already.

gugy

macrumors 68040
Jan 31, 2005
La Jolla, CA
WOW,
I hope Apple will finally take care of the pro community with MacPro updates and Cinema Display 30" or larger.
it's about time!!!!!!:rolleyes:

bcb23

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ
I realize most people are still wiping their tears of happiness with the launch of the huge iphone ipad... but seriously apple, get on with the hardware updates already.

I second that. Where are the updates for the hardware lines? I am sure Apple loves the large-screen iPod Touch, but the other product lines appear to have been neglected for some time. I like to think they have some tricks up their sleeves and we will see major improvements coming down the pipe (versus incremental improvements). I am losing lots of faith.

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
Om Nom Nom INTEL!

---

Sweet, now if only Apple would use these. I think half the Pro crowd would be happy.

Is there any software for an Apple workstation which would be
50% faster (or even 20% faster) with 12 cores instead of 8?

For many server applications, scaling with additional cores is
simple - for a web server, each HTTP request can be a thread and for
a database server each SQL query can be a thread. Add more cores,
and you handle more requests.

It's harder for workstation apps where it's more common to have one
copy of an application running - which reads one input file and
generates one output file.

The hexacores are nice, but I wonder what value they will really have
for Apple workstations. Many of the single-input/single-output
workstation apps will fail to scale.

In other words, it may be "no big deal" if Apple takes its time in
using the new chips.

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
I'm tired of waiting for the Pro line to be refreshed. As a first-time Mac buyer, I've been holding off on the purchase of a new MBP because of the "alleged" updates that are soon to come. First time, ever, I've been disciplined enough to actually save the amount I'll need to buy a big-ticket item, and go figure, I have to keep on waiting. Hopefully we'll see these new processors in all of the new hardware updates.

bcb23

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2009
Scottsdale, AZ

using the new chips.

Um, sometimes there isn't a real "need" or requirement to update -some folks just like having the latest/greatest. I bought my wife the 27inch i7 a few months back, not because she needed or even uses much cpu (email, excel, web, iPhoto -nothing cpu intensive at all). It is just nice to have the latest (especially when you see the PC lineups with better chips available).

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
I guess it all depends on when these processors are available in quantity. One can assume that although they were announced today Apple has been experimenting with them for some time.

macusersince5

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
Guys I know we are all eager for a refresh, as am I because I want to buy a new mac pro. But would you want to by one of these new mac pros if they only updated the processor cpu and video card and added nothing else that what is currently offered? I would rather them wait a little bit longer and put something useful in there like maybe lightpeak or usb3 and get a kicking machine, since they only get updated once like every year in half.

-my thoughts at least.

Mcgargle

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2010
Is there any software for an Apple workstation which would be 50% faster (or even 20% faster) with 12 cores instead of 8?

Compressor. Final Cut Pro when set to unlimited RT using the ProRes compressor. Maya, when rendering. Nuke, when rendering. All the various R3D-decoding tools, like Red Rushes. After Effects, when rendering. Media Composer, when using real-time effects or mix-and-match. Those are just the ones that happen to be installed on this system I'm typing on right now. The system next to this one has Smoke running, and we'll definitely be upgrading that to a 12-processor system (or whatever the count turns out to be) when they become available and get qualified.

Many of the single-input/single-output workstation apps will fail to scale.

True. But the system will be more responsive overall, with more processors to run concurrent tasks simultaneously. And the number of people who are using Mac Pros to run single-threaded applications is vanishingly small … and even then, it's much larger than it should be. Those people should be on Mac Pros, or even Mac minis. Better value for your money.

ValSalva

macrumors 68040
Jun 26, 2009
Burpelson AFB
Guys I know we are all eager for a refresh, as am I because I want to buy a new mac pro. But would you want to by one of these new mac pros if they only updated the processor cpu and video card and added nothing else that what is currently offered? I would rather them wait a little bit longer and put something useful in there like maybe lightpeak or usb3 and get a kicking machine, since they only get updated once like every year in half.

Yes and don't forget SATA-6. I could live without USB 3.0 immediately because one could always get an ad-in card for connecting to the back but it would be nice to have it as part of the logic board with connectivity in the front.

eblu

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2002
east coast

using the new chips.

enter NSOperation.
NSOperation is Apple's no Brainer threading solution.
Staying away from specifics, NSOperation lets you, the developer, tell the system that you want to run this chunk of code as efficiently as possible. the system figures out how many threads that is, makes them, and runs them.

this is the cocoa solution to threading. its easy to set up and execute.

if you want to be right up against the machine and make your own threads by all means, that works too.

They also have a technology called "blocks" that is an inline magic that lets you basically thread "for loops" through GCD. But to me it is indistinguishable from magic. I still can't get my head around it (and on a g5 I won't be trying it out).

the Juju is there, its just a matter of the software companies getting ON it.

macusersince5

macrumors member
Mar 13, 2010
Yes and don't forget SATA-6. I could live without USB 3.0 immediately because one could always get an ad-in card for connecting to the back but it would be nice to have it as part of the logic board with connectivity in the front.

Ya I agree. My main point is that if they just change the processor on the thing and add nothing else, is it really worth the money when I can buy a cheaper reburb? Since this will be my first mac pro, I want something special inside it then what is already currently added.

rragle

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2009
Can't wait...

Hoping for that 12 core refresh goodness soon. Being a motion graphics artist, my MacPro1,1 is looking a little long in the tooth.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.