PDA

View Full Version : Do not buy ARD2.0 if you need OS9 support

Skiniftz
Sep 7, 2004, 06:13 AM
Apples support of OS9 sucks. ARD2.0 does not support OS9 clients - stick with 1.2

Also Macintosh Manager is a big pile of crap. Sorry after 4 hours of wrestling with this stupid server I just needed to get that off my chest.

Now it STILL will NOT let me import any users. *sigh*.

Oh for a server that "just works".

caveman_uk
Sep 7, 2004, 10:33 AM
Apples support of OS9 sucks.
Because they don't want you to use it anymore...

Skiniftz
Sep 7, 2004, 11:46 AM
Because they don't want you to use it anymore...

Yeah well I have 78 iMacs that I can't afford to replace so I'm stuck with it.

Just laid out 4 grand on Panther licenses too. I'm installing it on an iMac as I write in the desperate hope that it might actually be useable....with Classic apps. :(

IndyGopher
Sep 7, 2004, 12:45 PM
What does ARD 2 promise that you couldn't do in 1.2? I am not overly familiar with either version, beyond simple remote control of the desktop, the only part that interested me. Old computers run old software just fine. New computers may or may not run old software, and old computers should not be expected to run the latest version of pretty much anything. And since every Mac since 1998 or so can be made to run OS X, I think you are outside your window of legitimate right to complain. A 6 year upgrade cycle for computer hardware is pretty much unacceptable.

Skiniftz
Sep 7, 2004, 03:04 PM
What does ARD 2 promise that you couldn't do in 1.2? I am not overly familiar with either version, beyond simple remote control of the desktop, the only part that interested me. Old computers run old software just fine. New computers may or may not run old software, and old computers should not be expected to run the latest version of pretty much anything. And since every Mac since 1998 or so can be made to run OS X, I think you are outside your window of legitimate right to complain. A 6 year upgrade cycle for computer hardware is pretty much unacceptable.

Are you a systems admin with years of enterprise experience?

caveman_uk
Sep 8, 2004, 04:03 AM
Are you a systems admin with years of enterprise experience?
Aside from your curt response he did actually make a good point. What do you need in ARD 2.0 that you didn't have in 1.2?

Skiniftz
Sep 8, 2004, 11:30 AM
Aside from your curt response he did actually make a good point. What do you need in ARD 2.0 that you didn't have in 1.2?

Yes sorry about that but one thing that really really annoys me is when you get people who "never actually used the product but are sure its perfectly fine". *sigh*

What I expect from an "upgrade" is all of the previous functionality. If they marketed it as "Remote Desktop for OSX 1.0" then that would be ok, however calling something Remote Desktop 2.0 when the previous product was Remote Desktop 1.2, then I think people can be forgiven for assuming it would do everything the previous one did and more.

As for me, I was hoping for a better Remote Desktop with better reporting and stability. As it stands I've wasted $500.