Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
To me it seems like a soft light above the camera not far away from her, thus the bright (overblown) forehead.

You can achieve that with a wide aperture (1.8/2.4) and a strong lamp with a diffusing material (white of course) in front of it.

VideoNewbie

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Feb 6, 2009
To me it seems like a soft light above the camera not far away from her, thus the bright (overblown) forehead.

You can achieve that with a wide aperture (1.8/2.4) and a strong lamp with a diffusing material (white of course) in front of it.

this is where my screenname really applies lol.

"wide aperture" meaning...?

could i just use a standard living room lamp pointed in my direction with a piece of white paper covering the head of the lamp?

spinnerlys

Sep 7, 2008
forlod bygningen
this is where my screenname really applies lol.

"wide aperture" meaning...?

could i just use a standard living room lamp pointed in my direction with a piece of white paper covering the head of the lamp?

Aperture is the width if the opening of the hole that lets the light through the lens onto the file /CCD/CMOS chip to capture the image.
The more open it is (the lower the number, also called F-stop), the more light falls onto the film or sensor, the less light you need to light the scene, but you get less depth of field.

350px-Aperture_diagram.svg.png

You can use a standard lamp, best would be one with an arm to adjust it better, and a big piece of paper (thin and light to let enough light through), sandwichpaper is used too. A strong light bulb is needed 80 to 120W, but they get hot, and thus the probability of the paper catching fire is proportionally higher, so use a big sheet 20 to 50cm away from the lamp (light bulb).
Don't cover the lamp, as the heat has to go somewhere.

Maybe try to get a daylight lightbulb if they are available in your area, as normal household lightbulbs give quite a yellow/orange light (which you might remedy with an appropriate manual white balance).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.