PDA

View Full Version : Best place to buy a PowerBook G4?

BeestieHalls
Mar 16, 2010, 11:53 PM
My Macbooks fading away... Soon to be replaced. I decided a 15" G4 PowerBook would fit my budget right now, not to mention I've sort of been eying them for a while.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get used or older macs? Other than the obvious eBay? Or craigslist? Thanks!

mofunk
Mar 16, 2010, 11:59 PM
Check your local area. Most colleges will have a local Apple reseller or repairer that has some in stock. If you're not planning to use any software that requires an Intel processor than go with G4.

rickvanr
Mar 17, 2010, 12:00 AM
eBay, Craigslist or the marketplace here are probably your best bet. There are a few online sites that sell old macs, but they usually want 3x what they're actually worth, which isn't much.

I wouldn't recommend going backwards though.

Disc Golfer
Mar 17, 2010, 12:18 AM
My 15" powerbook is on sale on ebay right now, you can buy it but it's pretty beat!

BeestieHalls
Mar 17, 2010, 12:40 AM
I don't think I'll mind going backwards. i dont do much other than word process and surf the web.

I've pretty much been scowering both eBay and craigslist, but usually theres something wrong with them I'm not willing to deal with or theyre ridiculously overpriced.

And I didn't know about the market place, I can't seem to find it

mrsir2009
Mar 17, 2010, 12:47 AM
eBay, TradeMe, schools, colleges that are getting rid of them... :cool:

capacity
Mar 17, 2010, 01:43 AM
I don't think I'll mind going backwards. i dont do much other than word process and surf the web.

I've pretty much been scowering both eBay and craigslist, but usually theres something wrong with them I'm not willing to deal with or theyre ridiculously overpriced.

And I didn't know about the market place, I can't seem to find it

You can't get into the marketplace unless you have > 250 posts and you've been around for 180 days (source: http://guides.macrumors.com/Help:Marketplace_Rules). I didn't know about it either until I did a google search after I saw this thread (looking to ditch my 6 year-old G4 PowerBook quite soon). I've had a forum account for almost 7 years, but I never post here, only read, so I can't access it either...

dukebound85
Mar 17, 2010, 01:45 AM
My Macbooks fading away... Soon to be replaced. I decided a 15" G4 PowerBook would fit my budget right now, not to mention I've sort of been eying them for a while.

Can anyone recommend a good place to get used or older macs? Other than the obvious eBay? Or craigslist? Thanks!

i have a g3, g4, g5, core duo, core2duo, and core2quad macs

the non intel macs SUCK with today's internet....its like swinging a baseball bat underwater aka slow

capacity
Mar 17, 2010, 01:52 AM
the non intel macs SUCK with today's internet....its like swinging a baseball bat underwater aka slow

I could not agree more. I would offer to sell my 1.5 GHz Al PB G4 to you, but I can assure you that you do not want it, even for browsing the web. Any bit of flash on a page brings my computer to its knees. Go for an Intel-based Mac.

BeestieHalls
Mar 17, 2010, 01:46 PM
Ah I didn't realize that about the Buy/Sell/Trade section. Thats pretty rough. I generally just read as well, but I've been a member for a year. I dont think I'll be getting to 250 posts anytime soon...

And as far as it being slow goes, my demands aren't that much. I would like a machine good for web browsing and maybe word processing, and thats about it.

If you want an idea of my needs, I prefer my eMac to my Macbook because it looks cooler and it does almost everything I need it to, minus Hulu (I think because it has Panther and I can't update flash player).

I'd just like something that can sit around and hold my music and browse the web when I want. I feel like thad be about it. Thanks for your input though.

PS people overpay like crazy on eBay, and I'm not in a huge city so Craigslist doesn't have much for me. So my search continues...

dukebound85
Mar 17, 2010, 02:44 PM
And as far as it being slow goes, my demands aren't that much. I would like a machine good for web browsing and maybe word processing, and thats about it.

Youtube is barely useable with a g4 just fyi

the web has progressed to a point where you need pretty hefty comps to utilize it