PDA

View Full Version : Imac firmware updater...won't!

cc850
Sep 7, 2004, 08:26 AM
I am attempting to install a firmware update on an old Rev C Imac (266), the version is 1.2. I have read this is necessary before installing OS X (or 9)...but I keep trying to run it but get the same problem each time. I shut down as instructed, put a paperclip in the hole on the side, wait for the tone, and the up comes the status bar...only it never moves, and in about 10 seconds I get the folder icon in the center of the screen that flashes the mac logo and a question mark alternatively...the same one you get when the system can't be found? The installer does place files in Startup Items, and I can restart and I get a message the install was unsuccesful. I have used Startup Disk to make certain the HD is chosen, to no avail (I think the PRAM get zapped when you put the paperclip in, anyhow)...any ideas why the installer can't continue? I have let it sit there for quite a while!

varmit
Sep 7, 2004, 12:41 PM
I am attempting to install a firmware update on an old Rev C Imac (266), the version is 1.2. I have read this is necessary before installing OS X (or 9)...but I keep trying to run it but get the same problem each time. I shut down as instructed, put a paperclip in the hole on the side, wait for the tone, and the up comes the status bar...only it never moves, and in about 10 seconds I get the folder icon in the center of the screen that flashes the mac logo and a question mark alternatively...the same one you get when the system can't be found? The installer does place files in Startup Items, and I can restart and I get a message the install was unsuccesful. I have used Startup Disk to make certain the HD is chosen, to no avail (I think the PRAM get zapped when you put the paperclip in, anyhow)...any ideas why the installer can't continue? I have let it sit there for quite a while!

I did an update to OS X on an older system such as yours, iMac 300 I believe, but I waited till after I installed OS X to do the fireware update. Mostly because I was just fixing an installation of OS X for a guy and the fireware update showed up in the Software Updates Utility for OS X as not being applied. It was probably the reason the guy was having trouble in the first place. Your problem might be that its looking for the firmware in an OS X partition and you have none, so it gives the no system found folder.

1) Save what you can, or what you absolutly can not lose. You do run the chance of loosing everything, that is with any OS upgrade on any system.

2) Load on OS X but have your OS 9 disk handy incase it fails and you need a working OS. (Format the drive if you want to regain hard drive space used by OS 9 programs and preferences. Otherwise your programs and preferences in OS 9 will get used for Classic, meaning you still have your old programs to use.)

3) Check Software Update for that firmware upgrade.

cc850
Sep 7, 2004, 03:23 PM
I did an update to OS X on an older system such as yours, iMac 300 I believe, but I waited till after I installed OS X to do the fireware update. Mostly because I was just fixing an installation of OS X for a guy and the fireware update showed up in the Software Updates Utility for OS X as not being applied. It was probably the reason the guy was having trouble in the first place. Your problem might be that its looking for the firmware in an OS X partition and you have none, so it gives the no system found folder.

1) Save what you can, or what you absolutly can not lose. You do run the chance of loosing everything, that is with any OS upgrade on any system.

2) Load on OS X but have your OS 9 disk handy incase it fails and you need a working OS. (Format the drive if you want to regain hard drive space used by OS 9 programs and preferences. Otherwise your programs and preferences in OS 9 will get used for Classic, meaning you still have your old programs to use.)

3) Check Software Update for that firmware upgrade.

This firmware update can ONLY be installed under OS 8.x....or at least that is what the docs say. So it is necessary to do this before upgrading to either 9 or 10. The OS 9 installer disk I tried indicated I needed to install it, but the update wasn't on the CD, so I downloaded it. So 9 literally won't install without it, and I've been told I'll have video problems if I go to Panther without it, and that it's very tough to install once that is done. It's just that the installer doesn't continue after a restart, and for some reason can't find something it needs. There are three files included in the download, a readme, an installer, and a ROM file. The installer copies the latter files to startup items upon launch, and apparently it is run after restart because I get a special status bar, but I'm thinking it's not finding the ROM file, even though it is right there with the installer?