PDA

View Full Version : iPad Car Mounts?

redman042
Mar 17, 2010, 01:07 PM
It occurs to me that the iPad would make an excellent multi-purpose device for an automobile. I could even imagine one being installed as a permanent in-dash computer by some enthusiasts with the cash to make it happen.

Think about it: navigation, music, video, web, traffic, weather, and more, all wrapped up in a lightning-fast device with a full-time internet connection and a large screen, for far less money than most aftermarket equipment or car manufacturer optional equipment, and with far better quality across the board.

This would even blow Ford's Sync system out of the water.

Obviously there are some challenges to getting this form factor mounted conveniently (either permanently or removable), without getting in the way of other stuff. The big bezel in this case is a drawback - it's just wasted space.

But damn, I'd love to rip out the in-dash nav on my Acura TL and drop this baby in it's place. How cool would that be?

Has anyone heard of car mount accessories being developed for this thing?

Chris Rogers
Mar 17, 2010, 01:17 PM
I'm not sure if this is such a great idea. An iPhone is borderline already (along with anything else that has a screen). I think drivers are distracted enough as it is.

Julien
Mar 17, 2010, 01:19 PM
...Obviously there are some challenges to getting this form factor mounted conveniently (either permanently or removable), without getting in the way of other stuff....

For the former: Understatement. For the latter reference this part of the former "...getting in the way of other stuff....".

Now in a few years it's possible that a manufacture could offer a dash design with an iPad holder. However this would leave a LARGE void when the iPad was removed.

old-wiz
Mar 17, 2010, 01:21 PM
I'm not sure if this is such a great idea. An iPhone is borderline already (along with anything else that has a screen). I think drivers are distracted enough as it is.

And if people mounted iPads by their dashboard we'd have stupid drivers trying to watch videos while zooming down the interstate at 80.

stridemat
Mar 17, 2010, 01:23 PM
This idea has health & safety issues all over it, not only will they take up too much room!

v3rn
Mar 17, 2010, 01:33 PM
I might use mine for a GPS from time to time, so some kind of mount would be good. But obviously it's far too large for a windshield mount, so they'll have to come up with something else.

eawmp1
Mar 17, 2010, 01:39 PM
Install one in a Toyota and you've got a bona fide Deathmobile:

http://www.automedia.com/cs/blogs/auto_news/10AMC/100129-AMC-ipad_car.jpg

bossxii
Mar 17, 2010, 03:01 PM
The company that makes a car mount, had better have some good lawyers as soon as the first person is killed by some idiot watching a movie on his dash mounted iPad.

Having personal experience with a delivery van having a laptop mounted on their dash for directions...the driver with her head up her ass, trying to type in an address at 60mph+ ran a red light. Clipping the front fender of my work truck (F150) spinning me into another vehicle as she then hit a van killing two kids and putting the dad in the hospital.... I hope to never see this become available.

Video screens of any kind should land a driver in jail with a large fine. The on board GPS systems and cell phones already render people complete idiots, having any sort of mount for additional gear is criminal.

Yes I'm biased against them, but go look into a van with a dead 5 and 8 yr old then come tell me how great an this would be.

v3rn
Mar 17, 2010, 04:44 PM
The company that makes a car mount, had better have some good lawyers as soon as the first person is killed by some idiot watching a movie on his dash mounted iPad.

Having personal experience with a delivery van having a laptop mounted on their dash for directions...the driver with her head up her ass, trying to type in an address at 60mph+ ran a red light. Clipping the front fender of my work truck (F150) spinning me into another vehicle as she then hit a van killing two kids and putting the dad in the hospital.... I hope to never see this become available.

Video screens of any kind should land a driver in jail with a large fine. The on board GPS systems and cell phones already render people complete idiots, having any sort of mount for additional gear is criminal.

Yes I'm biased against them, but go look into a van with a dead 5 and 8 yr old then come tell me how great an this would be.

Yeah and every company that makes an iPhone or iPod touch mount better have good lawyers too right? You can watch a movie on an iPhone too. Just because you can doesn't mean everyone is going to.

RobBookPro
Mar 18, 2010, 03:50 AM
I also believe the ipad would be amazing built into a dash.

mostly harmless
Mar 18, 2010, 05:17 AM
but an Ipad would be a great headrest mounted video player/games machine to keep the kids in the back happy (not all uk cars have dvd machines) - I use my itouch to placate and diffuse baby anger at restaurants with episodes of postman pat, fireman sam etc we adults can then sip champagne cocktails by the pool, rather than deal with their unruly behavioural issues...

miles01110
Mar 18, 2010, 06:49 AM
I'd never trust an Apple product controlling any aspect of my vehicle.

RobBookPro
Mar 18, 2010, 07:22 AM
I'd never trust an Apple product controlling any aspect of my vehicle.

no one mentioned the ipad controlling the vehicle.

miles01110
Mar 18, 2010, 07:24 AM
no one mentioned the ipad controlling the vehicle.

I know, but it was only a matter of time before someone did. Plenty of fanboys seem willing to die for their company, and that's a pretty good way to do it.

bossxii
Mar 18, 2010, 02:41 PM
Yeah and every company that makes an iPhone or iPod touch mount better have good lawyers too right? You can watch a movie on an iPhone too. Just because you can doesn't mean everyone is going to.

Could on the iPhone/iPT but the screen is small enough not likely as appealing to someone with it mounted on their dash. iPad makes it not only easier to see, but the larger device will block their view even more. Clearly people text/talk etc... already, adding the ability to mount the iPad on someone's dash will bring up entirely new issues from visibility to simply being a distraction.

WhySoSerious
Mar 18, 2010, 02:49 PM
It occurs to me that the iPad would make an excellent multi-purpose device for an automobile. I could even imagine one being installed as a permanent in-dash computer by some enthusiasts with the cash to make it happen.

Think about it: navigation, music, video, web, traffic, weather, and more, all wrapped up in a lightning-fast device with a full-time internet connection and a large screen, for far less money than most aftermarket equipment or car manufacturer optional equipment, and with far better quality across the board.

Obviously there are some challenges to getting this form factor mounted conveniently (either permanently or removable), without getting in the way of other stuff. The big bezel in this case is a drawback - it's just wasted space.

But damn, I'd love to rip out the in-dash nav on my Acura TL and drop this baby in it's place. How cool would that be?

This is illegal.

Just like you can't have those seat mounted DVD players in your dash. People would then play movies and watch them.

It's illegal, will never happen.

sassenach74
Mar 18, 2010, 06:21 PM
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 3_1_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/528.18 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0 Mobile/7E18 Safari/528.16)

But you can buy in dash DVD players with a big screen can't you?

avaloncourt
Mar 18, 2010, 06:37 PM
This is illegal.

Just like you can't have those seat mounted DVD players in your dash. People would then play movies and watch them.

It's illegal, will never happen.

It's not illegal. If you choose to view videos or send text messages you can be charged with distracted driving or phone-related laws but the mounting of such devices, even forward mounted DVD is not illegal. Manufacturers choose not to allow text entry on some GPS units while the vehicle is in motion and Pioneer, et. al. choose not to allow video to play on a dash system but that is their choice for liability reasons. They don't want to get yanked into a lawsuit over dear old dad watching movies while driving and killing himself.

If it were illegal there would be tens of thousands of RV drivers written up for having huge LCD TVs right in front of and above them. There's not a thing that prevents them from turning on those TVs while driving. It's the ACT of watching TV that is illegal, not the display itself.

racer1441
Mar 18, 2010, 07:54 PM

Don't confuse distracted with stupid.

avaloncourt
Mar 18, 2010, 07:57 PM
Don't confuse distracted with stupid.

http://images.macrumors.com/vb/images/icons/icon14.gif

I once heard someone say, "You can't legislate stupidity." That's very true.

leomac08
Mar 18, 2010, 08:39 PM

That looks like the cockpit of an Audi s4:cool::D

not a toyota.

AJsAWiz
Mar 18, 2010, 08:57 PM

No problem . . . . . just let us all know when you'll be out on the road with this thing :D

pirateRACE
Mar 18, 2010, 09:40 PM
but an Ipad would be a great headrest mounted video player/games machine to keep the kids in the back happy (not all uk cars have dvd machines) - I use my itouch to placate and diffuse baby anger at restaurants with episodes of postman pat, fireman sam etc we adults can then sip champagne cocktails by the pool, rather than deal with their unruly behavioural issues...

I've been looking for one for weeks. We have a family roadtrip planned this summer and this could be a life saver. We have a crappy DVD player thingy but it skips like crazy and always needs plugged in. Hell if it keeps them at peace for an hour and a half it's worth $500. :)

I found this, which seemed to have some potential.. http://modulrcase.com/accessories.php

YayMayorBee
Mar 19, 2010, 11:40 AM
With the accelerometer you could easily have video turned off at speeds of more than 10 miles an hour.

My problem is how would you sync it?

I actually think this is a very cool idea

gotzero
Mar 19, 2010, 02:17 PM
I do not think this a bad idea at all, if done within reason.

My headunit is a touchscreen with navigation, phone access, and ipod access. Between my iPhone and the headunit it is connected to, I pretty much have a similar but inferior system.

By adding Internet, I could one day have true real time traffic and weather, etc, and much better than the current MSN stuff. The boot time would also be better than the Windows CE that sits under my headunit's interface.

It cannot be worse than this (http://www.thedieseldriver.com/2010/03/bmw-adds-social-networking-to-cars/), from BMW.

OneMike
Mar 19, 2010, 02:37 PM
I think it's a good idea depending on implementation.

Mounted in window, obviously no.

I always pictured someone inventing a one of those in-dash stereos with the removable face. Instead however, the face was the iPhone/iPad taht you pop in.

I'd like to see something like that for the iPad. Although I can't think of a system that big.

redman042
Mar 19, 2010, 05:20 PM
I just knew after the original post that this would mostly transition into a discussion about driver safety. Look, I'm not suggesting anything other than replacing functions that are ALREADY available in either manufacturer equipment or aftermarket products with the iPad, which would do all these things far better and more.

I don't want to see drivers messing with their iPad while driving either, and obviously the awesomeness of the iPad would make it a bigger temptation than other existing products. But at the same time, the UI would also be 10x easier to use (and less distracting) than things like BMW iDrive, so there is a flipside.

Anyway, like it or not, iPads will end up in cars eventually (probably starting in about two weeks I'd imagine) and we'll have to rely on the responsibilities of drivers not to go overboard with the things.

So, if anyone comes across car installation accessories, or is planning their own install, I'd love to hear about it. That's really why I started the thread.

AJsAWiz
Mar 19, 2010, 05:48 PM
Late Breaking News from CNN
Toyota will be installing iPad car mounts as standard equipment on all models, effective immediately.

temetrepo
Apr 9, 2010, 10:35 PM
http://www.soundmancaraudio.com/home/2010/4/3/first-ipad-in-a-car.html
:eek:
:D

tommyhonda92
Apr 9, 2010, 11:02 PM
http://www.soundmancaraudio.com/home/2010/4/3/first-ipad-in-a-car.html
:eek:
:D

Ah nuts, you beat me to it...I was just about to post this same link. But yeah, this thread really got off track...The OP was asking for any mounting solutions, not what we all thought of whether or not this was a good or bad idea. Sheesh people. Look at all the displays/mounts for vehicles that are currently on the market already, and have been for years for various devices, and the countless threads in other various forums over the years about the same issue...whether it's good or bad to do so. Now suddenly someone talks about mounting an iPad in their vehicle and suddenly another good/bad thread pops up like this is something new. COME ON ALREADY PEOPLE!!! This has all been discussed before.

By the way, I plan on putting an iPad smack dab in the middle of the dashboard of my Ridgeline in place of the stereo once I figure out how to properly do it so that it looks factory and not like a huge add-on. Flame me for it sure, but really, how different is it to install an iPad when my current setup is an aftermarket DVD headunit with my iPhone attached sitting right next to the DVD headunit? I use the iPhone mostly for GPS purposes(just like you would having a Tom Tom suction cupped to the windshield), and the DVD headunit I use mostly for the bigger display for the iPod function when I'm listening to music. If I could have this be an all-in-one unit(hence the iPad), then it would be bliss!

Oh, and sorry OP, I don't have any links to any in-vehicle iPad mounting options as I haven't come across anything myself in my own short searching.

Chris Rogers
Apr 9, 2010, 11:47 PM
Damn, you beat me to it...I was just about to post this same link. But yeah, this thread really got off track...The OP was asking for any mounting solutions, not what we all thought of whether or not this was a good or bad idea. Sheesh people. Look at all the displays/mounts for vehicles that are currently on the market already, and have been for years for various devices, and the countless threads in other various forums over the years about the same issue...whether it's good or bad to do so. Now suddenly someone talks about mounting an iPad in their vehicle and suddenly another good/bad thread pops up like this is something new. COME ON ALREADY PEOPLE!!! This has all been discussed before.

By the way, I plan on putting an iPad smack dab in the middle of the dashboard of my Ridgeline in place of the stereo once I figure out how to properly do it so that it looks factory and not like a huge add-on. Flame me for it sure, but really, how different is it to install an iPad when my current setup is an aftermarket DVD headunit with my iPhone attached sitting right next to the DVD headunit? I use the iPhone mostly for GPS purposes(just like you would having a Tom Tom suction cupped to the windshield), and the DVD headunit I use mostly for the bigger display for the iPod function when I'm listening to music. If I could have this be an all-in-one unit(hence the iPad), then it would be bliss!

Oh, and sorry OP, I don't have any links to any in-vehicle iPad mounting options as I haven't come across anything myself in my own short searching.

The display, are just that; displays. Not awesome(need a better word) multimedia devices that demand your constant attention. I doubt the displays get up to the size of the iPad (I'm not in the Fast & Furious stage anymore so I don't know), not to mention the features.

Certain displays (professionally installed) won't allow certain features to be available unless in park, that's something that will be lost w/ iPad in the dash.

So, come on already, don't get mad at people you disagree with, just ignore them. It only takes 1 second and oops. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SDCPbUMRCXM I don't care how good of a driver anyone claims to be, it only takes one time to F up. So I, for one, don't oppose the idea just to oppose it, I have a family.

Have a nice day :)

flynz4
Apr 10, 2010, 12:01 AM
With the accelerometer you could easily have video turned off at speeds of more than 10 miles an hour.

No offense intended.... but you might want to take a refresher in freshman calculus. Accelerometers measure acceleration, which is the first derivative of velocity. A car traveling at any constant speed would have acceleration of zero.

Now the GPS measures absolute position... so by taking the derivative of that, you would have velocity... which could easily be used to lock out the video at a pre-set speed.

You had the correct concept, but the wrong sensor.

/Jim

tommyhonda92
Apr 10, 2010, 07:04 PM
So, if anyone comes across car installation accessories, or is planning their own install, I'd love to hear about it. That's really why I started the thread.

Here you go: http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts/AppleiPadMounts/tabid/2614/Default.aspx

RAM makes some excellent products. But that suction cup window mount...WOW!!! I can't imagine too many people using that...at least I hope not. Think of how much this would block your view out the window!

stealthman1
Apr 10, 2010, 08:16 PM
I'd love to see the mounts...but they used flash for an iPad accessory! Mooreons!:D

tommyhonda92
Apr 10, 2010, 09:05 PM
I'd love to see the mounts...but they used flash for an iPad accessory! Mooreons!:D

Ohwww. I didn't really think of that when I posted the link as I was on my Mini. Here's the pics, left to right, in the order that they appear on that site...

troop231
Apr 10, 2010, 09:21 PM
Ohwww. I didn't really think of that when I posted the link as I was on my Mini. Here's the pics, left to right, in the order that they appear on that site...

Looks kind of cheap lol, and on the boat, seriously?

avaloncourt
Apr 10, 2010, 10:23 PM
Looks kind of cheap lol, and on the boat, seriously?

and what about that windshield mount? Californians just got permission to mount their GPS units in specific places. I'm thinking CHP isn't going to be amused with people driving down the road with a billboard stuck to their windshields :)

CrAkD
Apr 10, 2010, 10:43 PM
its so annoying all these threads have to turn into safety lectures. Its a GREAT idea. Just use your head. Dont try to use it well driving.

Nash Bridges
Apr 11, 2010, 12:22 AM
Soundman Audio in CA has already done an in dash installation of the iPad.

Here is the YouTube link : Soundman iPad Install (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSnIXfoSU6I)

redman042
Apr 11, 2010, 12:48 AM
its so annoying all these threads have to turn into safety lectures. Its a GREAT idea. Just use your head. Dont try to use it well driving.

Exactly. And I'd argue that the iPad might be a SAFER in-car music player/GPS/traffic device than many of the in-dash products out there. Why? Because the UI is fast and simple. Less time spent mucking around with confusing controls and more time spent paying attention.

redman042
Apr 11, 2010, 12:50 AM

An iPad does NOT belong in the center of a windshield. Might as well drive with your sun shield in place!

But the other installs are cool, especially the airplane one.

drmikey
Apr 11, 2010, 01:00 AM
Here you go: http://www.ram-mount.com/NewProducts/AppleiPadMounts/tabid/2614/Default.aspx

RAM makes some excellent products. But that suction cup window mount...WOW!!! I can't imagine too many people using that...at least I hope not. Think of how much this would block your view out the window!

I second this! I have a Ram mount for my iPhone in my car. One if their largest customers are police departments for mounting computers. I toured their facility for work and really liked their products (that's how I found out about them). One of the big draws for me was their lifetime warrarnty.

drbell
May 1, 2010, 11:59 AM
I think the iPad is just to big for a standard mobile phone style mount. I think this is the way forward :-)

iPad mounted in dashboard on Tech Loving (http://www.techloving.net/2010/04/ipad-mounted-in-car-dashboard-full.html)

tommyhonda92
May 1, 2010, 01:43 PM
I think the iPad is just to big for a standard mobile phone style mount. I think this is the way forward :-)

iPad mounted in dashboard on Tech Loving (http://www.techloving.net/2010/04/ipad-mounted-in-car-dashboard-full.html)

Um, a little late there on this one...look at post #29. This is the actual website of the guys that are doing this install.

Apple-Man23
May 1, 2010, 03:05 PM
A friend of mine who is a huge car enthusiast showed me this link...it's pretty cool but it could definitely get a little distracting ;)

http://erictric.com/2010/04/06/ipad-built-into-a-car-dashboard/

tommyhonda92
May 1, 2010, 07:26 PM
A friend of mine who is a huge car enthusiast showed me this link...it's pretty cool but it could definitely get a little distracting ;)

http://erictric.com/2010/04/06/ipad-built-into-a-car-dashboard/

Again...refer to post #29.

I know, how about everybody post different links on this thread of Soundman's install and see how many different indirect links we can come up with. Sheesh. Does nobody ever read the threads they post on? Might as well keep the posts coming too about how one should not use an iPad/iPhone/pick coffee up to drink/look at the climate controls as you change them/heck even glance at the speedometer/look in the rear view mirror posts coming, while we're at it, cause all of these things takes your eyes off the road to do, after all.

Chip NoVaMac
May 1, 2010, 07:37 PM

Thanks for the link.

If an iPad GPS nav system does come out, the mount and the seat rail mounting kit looks like it would work out well. And the business aspects of the iPad and GPS with OS 4.0 seems to boundless IMO.

Soldout
May 1, 2010, 08:16 PM
I have a VW Westfalia, and I was thinking the iPad in landscape mode in the apple case will fit nicely on the dash below my view out the window.
Plan to try it out anyway. VW buses have large front windows. :D

Nightline
May 1, 2010, 08:42 PM
These guys are about 60 miles from me. I was curious and called to see how much it would cost for an 07 Maxima. Price is $500.

Soundman Audio in CA has already done an in dash installation of the iPad.

Here is the YouTube link : Soundman iPad Install (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rSnIXfoSU6I)

p-rice
May 1, 2010, 08:53 PM

Ha. I have the same car and I thought of the exact same thing. If the iPad were integrated in the car, it'll make every deck or factory nav system look primitive.

tommyhonda92
May 3, 2010, 03:41 AM
These guys are about 60 miles from me. I was curious and called to see how much it would cost for an 07 Maxima. Price is $500.

That's not a bad price at all! So are you gonna go for it??? :D

iPadPublisher
May 3, 2010, 04:04 AM

This guy has the right idea for the most part. Love the custom dash work.

http://www.soundmancaraudio.com/

tomegun
May 3, 2010, 10:14 AM
I have a one year old and she loves to watch her videos in the car. The car doesn't have a rear seat entertainment system and we have been using a small DVD player, opened all the way up in the map pocket.

I'm trying to figure out if there is a solution that I can use that is disk-less. Also, we are going to move her car seat to the side - it is in the middle now, but she is getting bigger and makes it harder to put her in.

I was looking at one of the Archos media players, but they are just as expensive as the iPad. Since getting my iPad, my wife says she wouldn't mind having one of her own.

Any suggestions on a way to mount an iPad while we are in the car? This isn't something that has to be done, it is just a thought/desire.

Ronix
May 3, 2010, 01:01 PM
Here is two videos that might get your creative juices flowing...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5SkltRqOF5k (actually kit will be available)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TaVigs8Who (this one is amazing!)

brn2ski00
May 3, 2010, 01:30 PM

LOL - made my day!